Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2015, 02:34 AM   #3881
codyrex97

New here, hello.

I've been trying to find more colors for the Ibanez GRX20Z's Pickguard (All I could find being Black, White, and White Pearl.

I also couldn't find a custom pickguard maker that makes specifically GRX20Z model guards, but plenty RG models, that look almost exactly the same.

I was wondering if any of the RG guards are identical in design, so that I don't have to drill any extra holes to make it fit.

Thank you in advance for your information.
codyrex97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:25 AM   #3882
codyrex97

Another question for you guys. I'm trying to find out what kind of tuners are "best" on an acoustic.
Mine's a Yamaha FD01S and I love the thing so far. Been trying to look up opinions on tuners but haven't found much yet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #3883
Paleo Pete

Are the tuners giving you problems?

If not, don't fix it.

Kluson and Grover are both good, I'm not familiar with any of the newer ones, I haven't had to replace a tuner since 1997 when I had to find some old open back ones for my 66 Harmony...

Sorry don't know too much about pickguard sources, the only one I replaced (on my strat) was on sale at a guitar shop. If you have to drill holes, it's not hard, use a very small drill and put some masking tape on it to use as a depth gauge. Mine were all pretty close, I had to fill some of the old holes with toothpicks and put the new screws on the sides of the old holes because they were off center and some of the old holes were wallowed out anyway. Go slow and easy and use tape for a depth gauge, only drill about 3/8 inch deep.

Last edited by Paleo Pete : 03-20-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Paleo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #3884
codyrex97

Yeah, no problems with the tuners so far. Just wondering about good brands if I ever do need to replace them. And thanks for the info on that and the pickguard drilling tips!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #3885
Paleo Pete

Should have also mentioned, I have a white metal marker I use, and tape sometimes when I can't find the marker...But then I was a machinist for 8 years and I picked up a few tools most people don't ever need...micrometers, calipers, indicators, brass shim stock, drills, taps, reamers...the metal marker was invaluable in machine work, I've kept a couple on hand ever since. Not sure where to get them, but try a hardware store. White is good because you can see it really well, excellent for marking a depth gauge on a drill bit.

Last edited by Paleo Pete : 03-20-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Paleo Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:03 AM   #3886
codyrex97

Yeah, been watching lots of videos for working on a guitar and most people seem to use tape, occasionally marker. Several things I'm thinking of doing to the Yamaha mentioned before. Such as, nut and saddle upgrade to bone. Switch white dot inlays for something prettier like pearl. And most importantly get some strap buttons on her. Can't take the weird feeling attaching strap to headstock.

Still unsure which changes I'd like to attempt myself and which would better be left to a professional. Any tips?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #3887
Paleo Pete

Saddle for an acoustic is pretty simple, sand the bottom to get the height you need, drop it in. Nut is a bit more difficult, if you don't have nut slot files take it to a good shop. IF you do it yourself, use just one drop of plain elmer's glue against the vertical surface of the neck, not the base sitting on the headstock. That makes it a whole lot easier to remove if necessary later. Don't even think about super glue. Super Glue is very rarely a good idea on a guitar, most things you want to be easily repaired. Super Glue will rip wood off if you try to remove it. Wood glue too. That's why I use plain white Elmer's for a nut. Tap it with a wood block and it pops off. For the Fender slotted type you have to use a straight punch and drive it out sideways.

I'd leave the inlays alone, that's a lot of serious woodwork, you have to be exact with it, if you leave any lumps or cracks your fingers feel them when playing.

Strap buttons aren't hard, where to put it depends on the type of neck. IF it's a bolt on neck, they are usually bolted to a big wood block inside, like my old Epiphone, you can put a strap peg below the neck into that wood block. For a glued in set neck I put the one in my Takamine on the underside of the neck at the heel. It's out of the way when I play, I checked out several at music stores to see how they were mounted before doing mine. Always mark the drill, you don't want a hole all the way through...

Here's a pretty good youtube for it, I put mine a little further from the fingerboard than he does here. Note his depth gauge on the drill...Mine is about in the middle, almost 2 inches from the fret board. I like it and it works fine, out of the way of my fingers when I play it.

My favorite guitar site with a good article you should read.

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/...trap-button.php

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Mus...rapbutton1.html

The second article has a good picture of peg placement on a bolt on neck.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:41 AM   #3888
codyrex97

Haha! I have seen all three of the guides you showed. Been researching strap button jobs (among other things) for like a week. Saw a picture of a cracked heel and wanted to absorb every ounce of information I could find to make sure that I don't do that! Heard about not using super glue too. Reassuring to hear your advice, makes me feel as though I actually have been learning the good information.

I researched as much as possible about Yamaha guitars and it is said that their acoustics have glued necks and not bolted ones, which was nice to find out because I wasn't confident enough to put one in the heel if it was a bolted neck, though I didn't really wanna go about putting it in the bass side of the body next to the heel. Now I feel like it will be an easy job.

As for the inlays, I was questionable about that myself so may not go through with that as a DIY project. Rather have perfect white dots than f***ed up pearl ones.

Thank you again for all your provided information!
Old 03-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #3889
gen0doom

Hey, I'm looking to replace the stock tuners on a Hamer XT Standard I bought 8 years ago for 250. (Just mentioning this as a guide to the quality of the stock ones!) Any recommendations for a new set, and is there anything I need to know about replacing tuners?

Thanks
gen0doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #3890
Paleo Pete

Kluson, Grover and Gotoh all make good tuners.

You need to find out the hole size already in the guitar, opening them up a little more is possible but can result in chipped paint job. Be careful what set you get, they come in 3x3 and 6 on one side.

But why are you replacing them? As far as I know Hamer uses pretty good tuners, and I always stick to the old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. I wanted to buy a Hamer a few years back, our jobs dropped to nothing and I missed it, the tuners were good ones, Grover I think. I'm still using the cheapo tuners that came stock on my Squier Strat, been playing it since 1997. They work great, never had any trouble at all, and I know they are cheap ones. If you string your guitar right you should have no trouble, even the 50 year old open back tuners on my 1966 Harmony still work perfect. The similar open back tuners on my 1950's lap steel still work perfect.

If it's giving you trouble, first find out if it's your stringing method causing it, not the tuners. If you have too many wraps, it takes forever to take all the stretch out. I use no more than 2 wraps, never have any tuning problems at all, even with the cheapest tuners on any of my guitars, and those are 50 and 60 years old...
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #3891
Omnius

Hey, I've been thinking of adding an EMG PA-2 preamp to my guitars (I have both active and passive ones) as a way of pushing an overdriven amp rather then use a pedal for it.

Here's my question: since I don't want to drill any more holes in the guitar body, is it possible to switch an existing pot to one with push-pull and use the PA2 that way? (for instance, tone pot being pushed to activate the PA2)

Thanks!

Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer
Epiphone Prophecy LP

"If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid"
Omnius is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: