Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2015, 03:03 PM   #4901
RGX2015

Hi people, recently I've been teaching myself how to do FRY screams, I'm already really skilled at False Chord and I'm moving over to Fry now. The goal is to sound like Dark Funeral/Hypocrisy and I'm also trying to get into a newer crazy style. Has anyone heard of this new Whistle Fry thing? Dani from Cradle of Filth does it and bands like Beyond Deviation's vocalist use it occasionally. I'll post a quick video of it...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=310731085761463&set=vb.153124981522075&type=2&theater

But that's much further down the road for me, my question is to anyone who can do fry screams, how do you add the "grit" (the grudge noise) to the scream without using your voice? I can do a very quiet fry scream properly, I feel nothing in my throat, but the volume is so damn quiet, and I'm pushing all the air available but I can't get it any louder...

So for a fry scream do you use a bit of voice to give it power?? I'm hesitant to try this though, with false chord I don't have to worry about hurting my voice, but it seems like Fry is a bit trickier. I just need power to my fry's!!
RGX2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:30 AM   #4902
Cheeseshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinderhizzle84
Yeah, what Merriman says. The point is that, like almost all other musical instruments, screaming still relies a lot on muscle memory as well as small, individual muscle strength/coordination. Much like a drummer relies on extremely fast wrists, ankles, and other appendages, or a guitarist relies on fast, well coordinated fingers, a singer (and by extension, a metal vocalist) gets better through constant practice to strengthen his/her important muscles and body parts to become better at it.

It took me 2 years before I was able to successfully make my first real-sounding false chord high shriek, and another 2 years after that to get my lows to sound even remotely okay. What you're seeing now in my youtube posts is, I believe, almost 7 years of on-and-off-again practice, recording, and rehearsing. You can make things go a lot quicker if you practice on a regular basis like I never did.

But, just like any instrument, learning to scream will take time, dedication, and patience. You just gotta practice every day (at least 5 minutes a day will do you wonders in the earlier stages of learning) and make sure never to push yourself to a point of pain or incredible discomfort.

The test I have for damage is: If you feel sore or stiff or hurt, try clean-singing some random notes from the lowest note in your range to the highest note. If, at any point in your clean singing, you feel pain, or simply cannot find it in your voice to sing notes that you normally can, then you need to stop IMMEDIATELY, drink lots and lots of water, and go on VOCAL REST (no talking whatsoever--write everything on a phone or a board or a piece of paper, and most definitely on whispering) for the next 24 hours.

Good luck party people!

Thanks. Before my practice sessions consisted of doing the heavy sigh thing, trying to growl, failing, then stopping. But having an understanding of exactly what I'm trying to achieve is immensely useful. Thanks again.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #4903
darktimes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGX2015
Hi people, recently I've been teaching myself how to do FRY screams, I'm already really skilled at False Chord and I'm moving over to Fry now. The goal is to sound like Dark Funeral/Hypocrisy and I'm also trying to get into a newer crazy style. Has anyone heard of this new Whistle Fry thing? Dani from Cradle of Filth does it and bands like Beyond Deviation's vocalist use it occasionally. I'll post a quick video of it...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...&type=2&theater

But that's much further down the road for me, my question is to anyone who can do fry screams, how do you add the "grit" (the grudge noise) to the scream without using your voice? I can do a very quiet fry scream properly, I feel nothing in my throat, but the volume is so damn quiet, and I'm pushing all the air available but I can't get it any louder...

So for a fry scream do you use a bit of voice to give it power?? I'm hesitant to try this though, with false chord I don't have to worry about hurting my voice, but it seems like Fry is a bit trickier. I just need power to my fry's!!

once you get the fry down, I'll be your guy for the "whistle fry" haha. recently learned how to do it and quite honestly, it's really hard to explain. can't really help you with anything else
darktimes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 PM   #4904
darktimes1

on a side note, does anyone know what these guys are doing? (vocalists obviously)

and

thanks folks
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 PM   #4905
merriman44

The dude from macbeth is False cording. The clean singing from both of them sound like every anime series I've ever watched. So awesome. I really like his style and I've never heard of them thanks!

I'm not sure on Swallow the sun. Sounds similar to Septic Flesh though not as low and I don't know what that guy does either. Some variant of either basic technique, I'm sure.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #4906
Cheeseshark

Can anyone recommend any kind of breathing exercises for not getting light headed/dizzy after like 10-15 minutes of practice?

Also, I know you guys said my growls will sound better as I strengthen the muscles that control the false chords, but will I be able to go lower as i strengthen them too, or am I just kinda stuck at this pitch?
Thanks.

Last edited by Cheeseshark : Yesterday at 08:31 PM.
Cheeseshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM   #4907
shellac5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGX2015

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?...&type=2&theater

Use your voice to project the scream out, like you would use your voice to project a whisper. You're not making a hard sound with your voice to force a scream out, rather the scream is already engaged through the grudge and you're basically rasping it out, not through the lock itself but your entire voice.

Fry scream's volume is pretty weird, the amount of power you're putting into them doesn't always equal power coming back out. You may be using a lot less or more of your voice than you think.

Last edited by shellac5 : Today at 04:01 AM.
shellac5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #4908
LuoKey

Hello everyone! Although this is about screaming and singing also, I saw that those topics aren't active so I'm asking here

Basically, I have a baritone similar like this (Ivan Moody 5FDP), but I don't know how to get those "scratchy" higher vocals like him.

Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXYIxJScSik&t=2m37s ("She saw my new blue jeans). It sounds pretty sick, he does it in every song (not in the exactly same way :P).

So, how to do that "scratchy harsh" singing vocal? I think my voice is baritone also (people also say that I have deep voice).

Thanks!
LuoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:04 AM   #4909
darktimes1

also one more question,I think I discovered how to do fry grit singing but it's only accessible in head voice. is there any way to expand that?
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #4910
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
The dude from macbeth is False cording. The clean singing from both of them sound like every anime series I've ever watched. So awesome. I really like his style and I've never heard of them thanks!

I'm not sure on Swallow the sun. Sounds similar to Septic Flesh though not as low and I don't know what that guy does either. Some variant of either basic technique, I'm sure.

Septic flesh is hardcore false chord. I've had the pleasure of seeing Seth live and up close about 5 times now, and he's probably my favorite vocalist. Definitely false chord.

And yes, Swallow the Sun is false chord. He's a very good false chord vocalist who has, over the years, achieved a very nice, very deep tone. Just like Seth.
shinderhizzle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:45 AM   #4911
shinderhizzle84
Blood is Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseshark
Can anyone recommend any kind of breathing exercises for not getting light headed/dizzy after like 10-15 minutes of practice?

Also, I know you guys said my growls will sound better as I strengthen the muscles that control the false chords, but will I be able to go lower as i strengthen them too, or am I just kinda stuck at this pitch?
Thanks.

Yes. Absolutely. Even now my vocals are getting lower and lower after some 7 years of practice.

Case in point, me from (at least) five years ago:

Me from a little over a year ago:

Keep on practicing, you'll gain in both power and range.

Your range also depends on the shape of your mouth. In some songs I go super, super, super low for a small period of time. I don't have the breath stamina yet to scream like that throughout an entire song, because in order for me to get super low I have to close my mouth almost all the way, which requires a ton of breath to get through in order to make the scream still sound powerful. But I'll keep practicing, and then one day :P
shinderhizzle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:22 PM   #4912
darktimes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinderhizzle84
Septic flesh is hardcore false chord. I've had the pleasure of seeing Seth live and up close about 5 times now, and he's probably my favorite vocalist. Definitely false chord.

And yes, Swallow the Sun is false chord. He's a very good false chord vocalist who has, over the years, achieved a very nice, very deep tone. Just like Seth.

thanks you both. I suppose I'll have to rely on editting or something and fry. false chord I feel is clearly not working out for me, I can't get past the point of pain after two songs. and yes, I practice regularly. On the other hand I can go freakishly high with fry (a la dani filth, almost) but it's a big miss on my genre preferences.

ANYWAYS, any progress I've had so far I owe it to this forum since local and national instructors are wimps afraid to work with anyone who screams. CHEERS TO EVERYONE OF YOU FOLKS

Rate This Thread: