Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Sythecus

Kinda frustrated

Hi guys, Sythecus here. Idk if this is the right area for this or not, but lately I've been feeling frustrated with my musical abilities/guitar playing. Mainly because I've been playing ever since i got my cheapy ion strat when I was 12(21 now). I'm not happy at all with my skills and I think I suck. I've been playing seriously for probably close to a year now since I got my epi les paul. Any words of encouragement you guys can offer?

If it helps to know, I never received guitar lessons one on one, i"m self taught and I watch youtube stuff, mainly marty swartz and bret papa. My actual goals for myself are to be able to pick up my guitar and play really clean and fast, whether that be a song or something I came up with myself. Maybe seeing writing lyrics in the future too.....Just got this overwhelming mental block feeling :/ Thanks for any advice!
Sythecus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 AM   #2
Sythecus

anyone??
Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Chances are you do suck. Make no mistake, I'm almost certain you suck without ever having heard you play a single note.

The good part about that is: there's nothing wrong with sucking. To take a quote from Adventure Time: "Sucking at something is the first step on the road to being sorta good at something" and that's absolutely true. You have to deal with the suck if you ever want to be good at anything.

You say your goal is to be able to play fast and clean... that's a big thing, it takes a hell of a lot of work to get good enough to be fast. Obviously don't abandon that but maybe get some more achievable shorter term goals to work with. Using myself as an example, when I first picked up the guitar, all I wanted to do was be John Petrucci... but I found a much smaller and more achievable goal in the form of being able to play Everlong by Foo Fighters that kept me going through those first few months. That's an important thing; keep the long term aim in mind but find things you can do in the short term or you'll only get discouraged.

Aside from that... just stick with it and practice regularly. You'll get there in time.

Edit: Also, three hours doesn't justify a bump. We frown on such things here, have a little more patience.
Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
GuitarFreak1387

embrace your suckage and use it to make you more determined to to get your playing to the level you want. Dont ever get discouraged by something that you cant play, look at that piece of music or lick dead in the eye and tell it "**** you!, i will be able to play you, even if it takes me weeks to burn it.
GuitarFreak1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Syndromed
French guy

Yeah, just don't give up ... never.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
Sythecus

Okay thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. I guess I'm being a tad over zealous to think I should be a pro when i'm not. I will embrace my suckage and continue to strive harder until I get to where I wanna be. Even today I just got done practicing for like 2 hours and I found myself picking the wrong strings and all that :/
Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Syndromed
French guy

Take a break ... and don't give up.
Courage
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythecus
Even today I just got done practicing for like 2 hours and I found myself picking the wrong strings and all that :/

That might very well be where the issue is; your expectations are off. It takes a very long time and a lot of hard work to get good at guitar; it's a slow process. A lot of the time you don't really notice progress, you get a lot of people who think they haven't improved at all when in fact they're much better than they were because that's the kind of speed it happens at.

Here's an interesting thing that will tell you just exactly how much you've learned since you started playing: play the guitar with your opposite hands to normal. So if you're right handed flip the guitar over and play lefty or visa versa. Try playing like that for just a few minutes and then realise this: that's where you were when you started.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
ArtistLion

So -in your opinion- at which skills do you suck at (gr?)?
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Sythecus

Thanks guys for all the useful advice I practiced again today, and felt alittle better. Just like zaph said(good advice btw), I tried to the guitar left handed, and it felt very "alien" to me, so I can see I've come a far way. I think the first song I will learn and master is for whom the bell tolls from metallica. Not only are they one of my fav bands, but I heard its an easy song to play.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
bigblockelectra

do you have a video of your playing? i am curious to know what 10 years of non-serious playing would be like.
bigblockelectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Sythecus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockelectra
do you have a video of your playing? i am curious to know what 10 years of non-serious playing would be like.

Unfortuntely I have no way of recording a video, I know it would help alot. I think the main thing that I acquired after doodling on the guitar is maybe some speed, especially picking. Some guys that I used to jam with said I had really fast hands for a noob.

Rate This Thread: