Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #15441
slapsymcdougal
UG Bored King

LP classic(vintage sunburst), 60's tribute LP(goldtop), Epi LP standard(cherry sunburst), kit-built LP with humbucker-size P90's, SG special, PRS SE custom, Ibanez destroyer, Jackson pro soloist, American Deluxe strat, MIM standard tele, and an Ibanez S-770 I don;t really play because the neck is just a hair too thin and my thumb hurts after about half an hour of playing it.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #15442
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
So what is in everybody's stable at the mo then?

LP wise?

I still have my Gladiator LP although it's missing a neck pup and some hardware. I'll probably fix it up soon. Have my Edwards E-LP-98LTS still as well.

I mostly play my R8 now though.

Otherwise, I have 2 Vs (Dean MS Retro + Jackson RRXMG), Elitist SG, The old Dean Z, 2 strats (super + partscaster), a telecaster, my Ovation and a shitty Washburn bass.

Got rid of my Excelsior. Got a Rectoverb. Probably gonna build an 18 watter clone or get a DRRI soon. Pedalwise I have a 70s Thomas Organ wah, Zvex Distortron, BoG Fuzz, Flashback delay, corona chorus and a tuner. Probably gonna grab a nice Univibe and and nice Reverb pedal next. Maybe a Phase 90 if I can find one cheap enough used.

So I haven't really slowed down much on the gear front even though I said I would and I planned to

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #15443
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Quote:
alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #15444
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

My LP stable is...stable. Listed in "fave" order:

1 Reverend Rick Vito sig
1 Electra Omega Prime
1 Malden Bad Karma
1 Reverend Roundhouse
1 Dean Special Select EVO

Quote:
alhaq369

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-02-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #15445
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
My LP stable is...stable. Listed in "fave" order:

1 Reverend Rick Vito sig
1 Electra Omega Prime
1 Malden Bad Karma
1 Reverend Roundhouse
1 Dean Special Select EVO

So your LP stable consists of no LPs?

Im just kidding around. The Electras are nice

Quote:

Not a fan of birdseye the guitar still looks pretty nice

Quote:
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #15446
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
So your LP stable consists of no LPs?

Im just kidding around. The Electras are nice

Yep. Just like my Teles aren't Teles, and my Strat isn't a Strat.

Quote:
Not a fan of birdseye the guitar still looks pretty nice

Probably better in person, too.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 02-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #15447
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Quote:
Yep. Just like my Teles aren't Teles, and my Strat isn't a Strat.

Probably better in person, too.

Yeah but it also could be worse in person too. I have seen some birdseye that probably fit the birdshit description a lot better

I would love a koa topped les paul with a makora or bubinga body and a wenge board. I think that would be wild.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #15448
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Godin's xtSA LPCone has a koa top version.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 02-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #15449
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

I mean something that actually looks like a Les Paul. Not a melted telecaster!

Godins are okay. I see them somewhat frequently as I am from maple syrup land. Single pickup redline was a cool guitar back then but I hated the headstock shape they dropped on the first runs.

The hollow bodies are really nice.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #15450
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Godin makes good- if quirky- stuff. I always liked Godin's Stratclones, and regret passing on the used ones I've had a chance to buy. Currently, I have a few i'm watching online. Ditto their semi & full hollowbodies.

And I'm really loving my Belmont.

Quote:
alhaq369

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-03-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM   #15451
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Suprisingly my favorite Godin was a really cheap strat copy. It was a grey Freeway Classic with coil splits and it sounded immense through a blues junior.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:03 PM   #15452
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

The Freeways are impressive.

Got a couple of those- and some Core P90s- on my watch lists, too.

Quote:
alhaq369
Old 02-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #15453
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Im boring so I have a lemon tokai on my GAS list.

Lord knows I need another LP

Quote:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #15454
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I had a lemon Epi on my list, and I don't like the way Epis feel. VERY bright yellow flame. And I saw a metallic bronze ESP or LTD online once I thought was gorgeous.

Both were priced to move, and did before I could bring myself to pull the trigger.

Never seen their like since. Don't even know what model or year the ESP/LTD was.

...like the Reindeer Blue, too.

Quote:
alhaq369

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-03-2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #15455
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

I wouldnt mind an epi but I promised myself its only MIJ or better from now on. I have too many cheapo guitars and I dont want to end up with 30

I dont like how epiphones feel for the most part as well on LPs. Necks are too slim and I dont like the finish feel

Quote:

Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R : 02-03-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 AM   #15456
Always-Ben
Tab Contributor

Les Paul people! I'm looking for a Les Paul type guitar, preferably one with a 59 profile, thicker neck. What lower-end Gibson models have that? Does the Epiphone Tribute (the original 2010 line, I hear the newer ones are thin) series? What about any other sub$1000 new Les Paul models?
Always-Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:22 AM   #15457
Roc8995

The under $1K new LPs are not generally worth looking at, TBH. Are you ok with just a fatter neck, or do you need the more rounded shoulders of the '59, specifically?

If it's just a fatter neck, the older Studios had them and can be really nice (play a few!). They called that the "50's contour" neck, so it's not the '59 carve specifically but it is a nice thick neck. It was a bit scattershot as to which Studios had them, but they were common enough that you shouldn't have a hard time tracking a few down on the used market, assuming you are able to cast a wide net.

The Epi 50s Tribute does not have the fatter neck. Very, very few (if any? Can't think of one right away) Epi LPs have a real fat 50s neck. The Gibson "50s Tribute" models of the last 3-4 years have had the fat neck profile, but quality has been all over the map. The original run was really good, then all hell broke loose and last year you had "50s Tribute" models in a rather 90s looking Wine Red with robot tuners...go figure. Anyway, see if you can rustle up a couple of those to try, they're worth a look if you can get your hands on one before you buy. The newest model for 2016 is the "Les Paul 50s Tribute 2016 T" (no points for word economy, apparently). I haven't played one yet but the "T" models have been a bit cheaply made, so be wary of that. The 2016 Studio Faded is advertised as having an actual '59 neck profile (not the generic 50s carve, which has usually had narrower shoulders and a chunky profile) but again I have not played one of those. The older Studio Faded models did not all have a 59 carve, so be careful looking at other model years.

I think the real answer to this question is that you probably want a Japanese model like a Tokai, Burny, Greco, etc. Plenty of 50s carve necks there, at a decent price point. Gibson doesn't generally give you decent quality and a fat neck for under four figures.

Try something new

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #15458
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
The under $1K new LPs are not generally worth looking at, TBH. Are you ok with just a fatter neck, or do you need the more rounded shoulders of the '59, specifically?

If it's just a fatter neck, the older Studios had them and can be really nice (play a few!). They called that the "50's contour" neck, so it's not the '59 carve specifically but it is a nice thick neck. It was a bit scattershot as to which Studios had them, but they were common enough that you shouldn't have a hard time tracking a few down on the used market, assuming you are able to cast a wide net.

Totally. If the specific carve of the neck and all the fancy appointments are not needed (and you want to stick with Gibby) then the older studios are not a bad choice. IIRC the reason why it's a bit scattered about is because you could order them in 60s slim and 50s rounded for a few years or so. They were definitely made with thicker necks.

Quote:

The Epi 50s Tribute does not have the fatter neck. Very, very few (if any? Can't think of one right away) Epi LPs have a real fat 50s neck.

The Epiphone 'Les Paul Tribute' guitar is I guess the regular run of the "tributes" they did a few years back and they differ between years and versions.

The current "Les Paul Tribute" guitar has a slim taper neck. The initial "1959 Les Paul Standard" and "1960 LP Standard V1" have fatish necks. The v3 is slim.

I believe the 56 RI has a fat neck too but its P90s.

Quote:

I think the real answer to this question is that you probably want a Japanese model like a Tokai, Burny, Greco, etc. Plenty of 50s carve necks there, at a decent price point. Gibson doesn't generally give you decent quality and a fat neck for under four figures.

Agreed. Fantastic guitars.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2016, 06:40 PM   #15459
Guitarfreak187

Hey everyone,
I'm looking to buy my dad a les paul bass for his birthday. He's a big INXS fan. Which one of these do you like better?
http://natedsanders.com/INXS_Les_Paul_Custom_Guitar_Used_on_Numerous_INXS_ -LOT42032.aspx
or this one?
http://natedsanders.com/INXS_Gibson_Les_Paul_Signature_Bass_Used_on_3_Song -LOT42034.aspx
Thanks, guys!
Guitarfreak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #15460
H4T3BR33D3R
Flying High

How big of an INXS fan is he? I mean, the first one is modified (had a volute sanded down to make it appear like an earlier model and possibly had to be refinished on the neck to cover that mod) and is pretty road worn. It is also the bass player's guitar so the significance to INXS is probably nothing really. Lack of pics is concerning too. IMO its not worth the minimum bid but I'm not a collector.

The second one is a bass, and according to the ad was actually played on some songs but that's hard to verify. I would say he played a P-bass more than that LP bass live so more people would probably associate the P-bass with him. I mean, if you could get some photos of the bass player with that bass being played maybe it would be a better deal but I still think it's kind of meh personally.

So IMO they're both pretty high but I could be wrong on that. Maybe try over at the my les paul forums and see if you can get a better answer there. I think they see a few more artist LPs flowing through compared to this thread.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: