Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-16-2014, 04:14 PM   #1621
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

There are other plans and shit, but they are 3G not 4G. Hmm, will have to see. With the price difference between those plans and how much a phone costs over here it'd be tough to get a good deal buying upfront with a cheaper deal. for comparison, a good phone here would cost $750 while the monthly plan costs $33 per month ( and the "cheaper" ones cost around $20 monthly...I think). Id need like, what, 7 years to make up for buying the phone upfront?
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #1622
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

My OnePlus One got here today. First impressions.

It's big. Very big. Doesn't feel like a one handed device like my nexus 5. The back feels weird. Almost like felt. Super grippy if not the most comfortable material. I'm excited to get a wood back though.

Screen: The display is big. Not as bright as my nexus 5, and I feel like the colors aren't as accurate. The yellow tint issue is there, but it's only noticeable on white backgrounds. The double tap to wake is very convenient. The camera, and music screen off gestures worked every time, but the torch gesture is hit or miss.

Sound: Not great. Better than my Nexus 5, but nothing close to the HTC One. Obviously, I'm not going to use my phone to play music with its built in speaker a lot, but after hearing the speakers on the HTC One, it's hard not to compare the two. Sound is good through headphones. No headphones included with phone BTW.

Camera: Probably the biggest disappointment after all the hyping they were doing of the camera's capabilities. All I've used it for is some indoor shots with poor lighting, so I haven't really seen how good it can be, but in the conditions I've tried it in, my Nexus 5 does a lot better job, and the camera on the N5 isn't even incredible. Oddly enough, photos taken with the Google Camera app look better than those taken with the CyanogenMod camera app included with the phone. The front camera is way better than the Nexus 5.

Software: This is where the One really stands out. The theme engine in CM 11S is insane. If you want to have the stock android "Nexus" look, just set yourself to the Holo theme. The Hexo CM theme is also included. You can download different themes from Google Play, and mix and match fonts, icons, wallpapers, etc. Another great feature is the ability to choose between hardware and software keys. I've been using the hardware keys to get the extra screen real estate. The back button and app switcher button are switched on the hardware keys, but that actually works better for me since I use my phone right handed and it makes the back button easier to reach.

Performance: I'm coming from a phone with a Snapdragon 800 and 2 GB of RAM, so jump to the 801 and 3 GB of RAM isn't huge. The N5 is already pretty ridiculously fast, so the OPO doesn't seem much different. That said, yeah, it's fast.

Other notes: Button placement is great. Everything is on the middle of the sides of the phone, so you don't have to stretch your fingers to press anything. No invites to give yet.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #1623
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Overall, if you were buying a phone right now, would you go Nexus 5 or OPO?

These are my two options and they cost almost the exact same amount in Canada.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #1624
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
Overall, if you were buying a phone right now, would you go Nexus 5 or OPO?

These are my two options and they cost almost the exact same amount in Canada.

Hard to say having just got the phone. Seeing how long the battery lasts on a day to day basis will make a difference too considering the N5's battery isn't guaranteed to last a whole day.

EDIT: The other thing that I haven't tried yet is sideloading the Google Now launcher. They haven't added the always on voice recognition yet, and it's super weird not being able to do hands free voice searches on my phone.

Last edited by TheChaz : 07-16-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:26 AM   #1625
MeGaDeth2314
UG Addict

Anyone know of a good media player app? I was looking today but I couldn't find one that didn't also try to install a bunch of other crap on my phone. I'm using an old as **** Droid 2 and the default music player sucks and frequently crashes. The rest of the phone actually works great.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:48 AM   #1626
Krieger91
I Sold The World

^Poweramp is probably the best, in my opinion.

N7 is really doog looking, but a bit less functinal, and I don't think it reads videos.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #1627
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Looking for some assistance.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 - Android 4.03 (just installed an update)

Basically, I kept getting this "shell has been granted superuser permissions" message, my phone would freeze, I'd need to restart it and then I'd have 15% battery life (even if it was say 98% a second ago)

I have just installed the update so unsure if that will solve my issue, however:

1.) can someone tell me what this is?
2.) can someone tell me how to stop it?
3.) remind me why I gave up my little lovely simple Vodafone brick and got dragged screaming into the modern age
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #1628
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollstar
Looking for some assistance.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S2 - Android 4.03 (just installed an update)

Basically, I kept getting this "shell has been granted superuser permissions" message, my phone would freeze, I'd need to restart it and then I'd have 15% battery life (even if it was say 98% a second ago)

I have just installed the update so unsure if that will solve my issue, however:

1.) can someone tell me what this is?
2.) can someone tell me how to stop it?
3.) remind me why I gave up my little lovely simple Vodafone brick and got dragged screaming into the modern age

Have you rooted your phone?

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #1629
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOneOut
Have you rooted your phone?

I'm assuming that's some sort of tampering?

I haven't, but it is a second hand phone from my friend.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #1630
OddOneOut
UG's Essex Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrollstar
I'm assuming that's some sort of tampering?

I haven't, but it is a second hand phone from my friend.

Yes, its like unlocking your phone so you can customise it further and install custom software etc. But it can be dangerous and potentially break the phone altogether. Because you keep getting a superuser notification and battery drain, I'd assume that something isn't playing nice (for lack of a better word) with that update. You're best off going back to your friend and finding out what he did to it and then seeking help on somewhere like xda-developers.

OddOneOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #1631
rocknrollstar
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddOneOut
Yes, its like unlocking your phone so you can customise it further and install custom software etc. But it can be dangerous and potentially break the phone altogether. Because you keep getting a superuser notification and battery drain, I'd assume that something isn't playing nice (for lack of a better word) with that update. You're best off going back to your friend and finding out what he did to it and then seeking help on somewhere like xda-developers.

Well I've just installed that update and nothing has happened since, but it's only been about an hour.

My friend won't remember anything - he has a new phone every couple of months due to being clumsy, being drunk or a combination of both - 8 phones this year and counting.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #1632
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

So the battery life is amazing on the OnePlus One. Yesterday I unplugged the phone at 10 a.m. with a full charge. Had it on me at work from 12-5:30, but not using it. Drove to my brother's house 1 hr away right after using the phone for navigation and streaming music. Used it for facebook, instagram, and chrome on LTE while I was over there. Downloaded a game and played it for about 25-30 minutes with the people who were over there, used it on and off for the rest of the night, then used it for navigation and music home the next morning. When I got home at 9 a.m. this morning? 38% battery left.

EDIT: Oh, and my brother bought the LG G3 yesterday. The screen and camera are amazing.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:59 AM   #1633
sfaune92
XYHeteroCisScum

I got the G3 as well. The battery life on it is pretty good too (well, I'm used to the S2...)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #1634
Local666Union
i hate my username

I thought that my nexus 4 was awesome, and then my little brother got himself a new G3.
jealous as ****
Local666Union is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: