Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Samzawadi

Tanglewood Warrior II electronics

Hey,
I've been playing my current bass for about six months now, and it's pretty damn good. However, it's got a rather odd electronics setup, and I'd be interested in knowing what other people think of it. It's got a single passive humbucker, but two volume controls and one tone control. Blatant Warwick ripoff, mahogany neck and ash body.

What do the two volume controls do? Does each one control one half of the humbucker? Or does each one affect the volume of the pickup poles under the top two/bottom two strings?
When using it, I've noticed that one has a far, far greater effect on the volume than the other (the first knob), and gives a very low-end heavy response, while the other affects the tone a lot more and gives a clearer, more trebly sound. Then there's the tone control, which affects the volume to some extent as well. All three of them have a distinct point at about 1-2 where they kick in very considerably-it's not a smooth curve from 0-10, it gets a lot louder at about 2 and then smoothly increases.

Does anyone have experience either with the bass or with one with a similar setup? I'm able to get a good sound out of it, but I'm still confused by how it actually works.
Samzawadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Your41Plague12
Eats spam for breakfast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzawadi
Hey,
I've been playing my current bass for about six months now, and it's pretty damn good. However, it's got a rather odd electronics setup, and I'd be interested in knowing what other people think of it. It's got a single passive humbucker, but two volume controls and one tone control. Blatant Warwick ripoff, mahogany neck and ash body.

What do the two volume controls do? Does each one control one half of the humbucker? Or does each one affect the volume of the pickup poles under the top two/bottom two strings?
When using it, I've noticed that one has a far, far greater effect on the volume than the other (the first knob), and gives a very low-end heavy response, while the other affects the tone a lot more and gives a clearer, more trebly sound. Then there's the tone control, which affects the volume to some extent as well. All three of them have a distinct point at about 1-2 where they kick in very considerably-it's not a smooth curve from 0-10, it gets a lot louder at about 2 and then smoothly increases.

Does anyone have experience either with the bass or with one with a similar setup? I'm able to get a good sound out of it, but I'm still confused by how it actually works.

Buddy I think it has a volume with a two-band active EQ. Think about it, of one knob makes it bassy, and one treble-y, there are your two bands. As to why they all affect your volume, I have no idea. The way you described it makes it really seem like it has a two band EQ. Since it doesn't have a pickguard, does it have a control cavity on the back? If it does, unscrew it and search for a battery. If it has one, the electronics are active, and therefore, have no tone control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
protwobass

Hi,

My experiance with Tanglewood bass's and other far eastern makers leads to the following conclusion.
Normally on a Musicman style pickup bass they give you two volume controls and one tone.
The humbucker is split so that you can use both halves of the pickup.
The trebley sound is only one half working the big full sound is when both volumes are full up.
There are variations like one of the three pots being a blend pot which selects/blends the sound from each side of the pickup. The volume pot controls the overall output with a tone pot in the third position. Normally the blend pot is center indented.
As for the pots themselves, they normally use Alpha pots Linear and Logarithmic.
depending on what they have used will determine whether your sound goes up in a linear uniform pattern 1 being quiet and 10 being loud or in log pattern where 1-6 makes little difference to the lower sound then it goes ball out from 7 up to 10.
Good luck.
Paul
protwobass is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: