Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #41
Phil Starr

Yes, I'm a fan of these mics too, lovely clean sound with just a bit of top end lift to help cut through. Always liked Sennies. It's good to all use the same mic's tooif you get the chance as the critical feedback frequencies are the same for all of them making it easier to kill the howl.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #42
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I have a preference for the Beta 58 and Sennheisser e945. These mics seem have the best combination of sound and feedback recjection for the price, as well as being good multi-purpose mics.I wouldnt say one is better than the other, it simply depends on your voice.

I have a Beta 57, which is great for vocals, but I simply prefer the sound of the others. My Beta57 has been issued to cajun drum duties.

Any reason you guys didn't look at the Beta58?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #43
Phil Starr

Essentially the E935 and the E945 are the same mic in a different mounting so that the 935 has a cardioid pickup pattern and the 945 is the supercardioid so the 935 is more forgiving but the 045 will give you better feedback rejection if used well.

the Shures are again basically the same mic, both super cardioids but the Beta58 has a tailored response to cut the bass and give a boost to mids which will brighten the vocal sound. The 57 will be warmer sounding, Which you choose depends upon your voice really and the 57 reputedly flatters female voices more than the 58.

The only way to choose between these is to try them really, though the Sennhesers are cheaper. All good mics really.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #44
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^ in Australia the Sennheissers are more expensive. Weird.

I've found one thing about the Beta 57 is that it tends to cut straight through the mix if there are other vocalists using other types of mics. Obviously you should try to keep all vocal mics the same, but it's something that might need to be taken into account if you have more than one singer in a band, and they aren't all armed with a Beta 57 - whoever has the Beta 57 will dominate all. I find it an issue when mixing harmonies.

I try to avoid general sweeping statements like "x mic is better for girls". That said Ive found that the e945 is better for girls and the Beta 58 better for boys . Thats just based on my own preference though. One day I'd like to have a full set of both to accomodate for different situations
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #45
Phil Starr

A full set of boys or girls?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #46
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Starr
A full set of boys or girls?

Whoever the lead is I guess.

While Im here Id like to give a big shoutout to the DBX DB12 and DB10 direct boxes. They are ridiculously good. Previous to them I used Berhinger and Art DIs, and whilst they did the job, they kinda sucked the tone out of my acoustics. The DB12 is quite simply brilliant, especially for the price.

So basically if you play an acoustic guitar live, you owe it to yourself to get one of these DIs and take it to gigs.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #47
Phil Starr

Just thought I'd do an update on the mic front now we've tried the new condenser mic. Remember, the reputation of these is that they sound lovely but are fragile and prone to feedback.

They sound lovely, they really do. Not in a slap you round the face, listen to me way but a subtle filling in of detail. It just gives you more of the work the singer is putting into their vocals, subtleties of tone come out. Our singer at least shows more confidence in her vocals due to the improved sound and is trying things she only ever did before when singing acoustically. It's all so natural sounding. If you have pride in your vocals you are going to want one of these.

Feedback isn't a problem, I didn't try getting my level meter out but we A to B's with an SM58 we use for backing vocals and the KSM9 gave us at least 3dB extra gain before feedback. In my acoustically nasty front room that meant that from not quite being able to lift the vocals over the band we could afford to run as loud as we liked with a bit of headroom to spare. Shure at least have cracked this problem. The pickup pattern is pretty tight, you have to really address the mic straight on and the pickup falls pretty quickly as you move away from the mic so you have to have decent mic technique. Our non-techie singer soon worked this out though, this mic is a great teacher. If you couldn't adapt this particular mic has a switch to make it into a cardioid.

Fragility will have to be assessed over time but I've since talked to a friend who uses the Shure Beta 87 which he has dropped 'more times than enough' with no problems so far.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:00 AM   #48
Phil Starr

I've updated the setting up and soundchecking section for anyone following this.

If any one has any questions or comments it's be good to hear from you.

Rate This Thread: