Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
PeaveyBOS429

A few rig questions.

Im currently using a LTD Viper100fm running into my pedalboard. My pedalboard being tuner>greenie>noise decimator>phase90>dd3 infront, and my sonic stomp into EQ into the fx loop. I'm using a Madison Divinity II 120w head into a crate blue voodo 4x12 cab w v30's.
My questions are 1.when I bought the head the head off Craigslist with the guy's viper deluxe and a fender mh cab with gt-75's with no pedals. And I'm basically wondering is my cab not as good? Or is it just my guitar?
2. I was debating wether or not to upgrade the pickups and tuners, is my guitar even worthy? Or should I use the parts money toward a new(used) guitar?
3. If I were to use 2" thick egg crate bed topping to insolate my cab, could anyone explain the tonal difference?
4. With my current pedal set up, should I have my dd3 & phase90 in the fx loop? I should say, these two pedals don't seem to come out to clearly, Is the problem that I have it in the wrong place or do they suck?
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
guitar>tuner>808>noise decimator.
LOOP-EQ>sonic stomp>phase90>time machine.
PeaveyBOS429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaveyBOS429
Im currently using a LTD Viper100fm running into my pedalboard. My pedalboard being tuner>greenie>noise decimator>phase90>dd3 infront, and my sonic stomp into EQ into the fx loop. I'm using a Madison Divinity II 120w head into a crate blue voodo 4x12 cab w v30's.
My questions are 1.when I bought the head the head off Craigslist with the guy's viper deluxe and a fender mh cab with gt-75's with no pedals. And I'm basically wondering is my cab not as good? Or is it just my guitar?
2. I was debating wether or not to upgrade the pickups and tuners, is my guitar even worthy? Or should I use the parts money toward a new(used) guitar?
3. If I were to use 2" thick egg crate bed topping to insolate my cab, could anyone explain the tonal difference?
4. With my current pedal set up, should I have my dd3 & phase90 in the fx loop? I should say, these two pedals don't seem to come out to clearly, Is the problem that I have it in the wrong place or do they suck?

1)You're cab is pretty decent actually.

2)It's a lower end LTD, but it's not awful. If you really like it, upgrade it, but it's equally valid to just save for a better guitar.

3)Can't really say dude.

4)Delay and modulation (like your phaser) will tend to play nicer with your set up if you put them in the FX Loop.

Keep your hopes up high...

...and your head down low!

Gear
1996 Deluxe Anniversary Tele
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Egnater Renegade + Harley Benton 212
telemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
gman128

2) you can always transfer the pickups to a nicer guitar you may end up buying - never a waste to buy new pickups imo. I wouldn't bother with anything else though.
gman128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
jetwash69

3. The foam you're talking about won't do much of anything. Google acoustic foam to find foam dense enough to make any difference in audio. As for what effect it would have, I don't know, and seems unlikely you'll get an informed response around here. Not a popular mod. But you can experiment and it won't cost much. I bought enough of the stuff to make a vocal booth for less than $100, IIRC.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
PeaveyBOS429

In YOUR opinons, what order should i have my fx loop? i know i already like my sonic stomp before my EQ, should my delay be before or after phaser?
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
jetwash69

Personally, I don't use my loop. I go guitar => FX => instrument input on amp. My amp is a Marshall JVM and I don't hear any advantage with the loop for the FX I use. It just takes more cables, takes longer to set up, and creates more room for error.

As for the rest of your question, in my opinion it depends on how you use them; I'd experiment and see what I liked if I were you.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
PeaveyBOS429

Okay last question. I have 3 empty 4x12 cabs & 4 v30s. The cabs are slanted blue voodoo , some straight crate can similar to the blue voodoo with the perforated grill & b-52 at412 slant. Which cab would be best?
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaveyBOS429
Okay last question. I have 3 empty 4x12 cabs & 4 v30s. The cabs are slanted blue voodoo , some straight crate can similar to the blue voodoo with the perforated grill & b-52 at412 slant. Which cab would be best?

This would be another "it depends" answer.

Slanted cabs are better if you're not using in-ear monitors and if you situate it in relation to yourself so that it can project up to your ears.

If any of them are made from MDF or particle board and others are made of plywood, I'd go for the plywood. Do any of them rattle?

Beyond that, it will be very subjective. Bigger cabs are better for some sounds/tones/styles. Same with thickness of the wood. I'm assuming they're all closed-back.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist

Lower end LTDs (up to 500 series) cost only a few hundred more than most sets of quality pickups. You're better off to just get a higher model that comes with the pickups you want for the price.

Example:

EMG ZW Set = $200
LTD Viper 300M = $400

-----

Try your pedals in both the loop and the chain and see what you like more. If you want clear delays, definitely go with it in the loop. Having delay before your OD (whether pedal or preamp) is going to distort the entire signal coming from the pedal and you'll get a ducking effect (where you can't hear it as much while you're playing) but your sound will be muddied depending on how much gain you're using.

As for the phaser, it depends on whether you want to delay your phase or phase your delay if that makes sense. This is all assuming you have them on at the same time. If not, it won't matter much.
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
crabstampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
PeaveyBOS429

I have my pedals all setup now. Fx send>phaser>dd-3>sonic stomp>EQ>fx return. I still don't use my dd-3 enough to completely figure it out.
As for the cabs, the straights a gx412r, made exactaly the same as the bv412s. Plywood construction? And particle board backs. I'm not sure about the back of the B-52, but it's definitely plywood construction. The crate cabs are the same exact size, but the b-52 is either the same size or alittle smaller. None raddle but the straight crate doesn't seem to be as loud but that's the projection I'm guessing?
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
PeaveyBOS429

And I dOnt know if it matters but the b-52's A front loader with the individual metal speaker grills, and the crates have perforated steel grills.
Madison Divinity
Crate BV412S V30's
Pedalboard:
Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
ChrisBW

As far as the cabs go, it's really almost impossible to tell without actually trying it out.

I only like my Carvin Legacy 4x12 v30s with my Legacy head. Hate it with my JSX or 5150.
Don't like my JSX through my Mesa 4x12 v30s, only through my old Raven 4x12 with whatever cheap speakers are in that. The Mesa is definitely clearer, but I can't stand the tone of the JSX through the Mesa so I don't do it.

Rate This Thread: