Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Sebz93

I need tips for improving.

So, I've been playing guitar for almost 4 years, and I feel like my abilities have hardly increased over the last 2 years. Unfortunately, I don't play as much as I used to, which doesn't help. I really don't know what to even practice, honestly. Are there certain exercises I should work on?

What are good ways to increase the quality of my playing? For example, my friend and I will play the same song, and sure, I can play it, but my friend's playing sounds smoother. My playing tends to sound jerkier and less fluid, and it really bothers me.

If anyone has some suggestions, I would really like to hear them, 'cause I seriously need help, ha.
Sebz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
omidmash

practice practice practice? what else do you expect us to tell you. practice properly, not noodling around. Guitar Pro helps (a lot).

Listen to different genres, and learn new licks.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Unholy.Daemon
Call Me Jamie.

just constant practise, find things about your playing you don't like and find excersizes that will change them and just keep practising until you're happy

Current Gear;
Jackson RR3
Fender MIM Tele
Randall RH50T
Marshall 1960AV (Celestion V30's)
Unholy.Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Nameless742
UG Fanatic

Your friend will be at a higher level than you from practice.
It's dangerous to constantly compare yourself to a friend, only compare with yourself setting goals and seeing the changes.

Practice correctly and you'll begin to see results.

Also guitarists hit plateaus every so often where there's not much going on in ways of progression. I like to use this time to learn something totally new rather than grinding on the same old riffs and licks.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Nameless742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
Necropeth91

Quote:
Originally Posted by omidmash
practice properly, not noodling around.

not to hijack this thread, but how would you define "proper" practice vs. noodling?
Necropeth91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
silly6-string
keep rocking

Improvising which I do mostly is.
1. Feeling. How is the Rythmn and music effecting you. Is happy or sad?
2. Know your scales
3. When to play low on the neck and when to play high notes
4. Practice
5. Remember as many licks as you can of your fav artist.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
silly6-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
JackJackSuited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necropeth91
not to hijack this thread, but how would you define "proper" practice vs. noodling?

I would define it as being goal oriented and technique focused. Placing emphasis on correct technique, not just on the ability to play something at the expense of form. Which usually means lots of methodical, slow, concentrated repetition.

That's just my 2 cents.
JackJackSuited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #8
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJackSuited
I would define it as being goal oriented and technique focused. Placing emphasis on correct technique, not just on the ability to play something at the expense of form. Which usually means lots of methodical, slow, concentrated repetition.

That's just my 2 cents.

Agreed to some extent from my side, i just don't think it has to be technique focused.

Sure, technique can be a big part of it. But proper practice to me is a mix of technique, theory and ear. As you said, proper practice with technique is more often than not a case of slowing things down, making sure your doing economical and relaxed movements and making sure everything is clean.

Proper practice for theory and ear is another thing. I sadly see fellow students doing the equivalent to "noodling" when attempting to learn theory or ear training. This may or may not be the case why they keep falling behind and we that practice it properly and with knowledge HOW TO practice it do not fall behind.

Just my 2 cents, feel free to agree or disagree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
omidmash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necropeth91

Basically get your guitar, play whatever the hell you want to play slowly but clean. Speed up with metronome (Yes, use a metronome. Very crucial.) and your goal should be to play it CLEAN and EXACT. Perfect pitched bends, timely tapping and being on rhythm while still expressing yourself through the guitar.
omidmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
BillWray
Musician and Music Lover

There's some great feedback that's already been given. You are referring to playing legato, so as other folks have already mentioned, work on playing melodic lines at a slow tempo to a metronome, being conscious of connecting the notes together without any gaps or pauses. Slow and steady wins the race, and will bring accuracy. I'm not a big fan of random, non-musical exercises - even when practicing scales, they should be done w/ a sense of melody, not starting from root to octave (unless you are first learning the scale).

Free Band or Artist Promotion
BillWray is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: