User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-22-2012, 04:49 AM   #1
rustausa
Hola 7

28 Days later theme cover (No backingtrack - all instruments done by me) [C4C]

http://soundcloud.com/rustausa/28-d...-theme-cover-in

Hey all! I've started learning about mixing/mastering so here is my attempt at this awesome song. Constructive crits VERY welcome and ill crit yours if you crit mine! Hope you enjoy UGers!

Full song title: In the house in a heartbeat - John Murphy
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.

Last edited by rustausa : 11-22-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Broken link
rustausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
guitarwarrior96

Thanks for the crit , what equipment did you use?
you could improve your bass tone, also if you record 2 tracks for the bass, both centered but with diferent tones (personally i like one clean and one overdriven) it gives a lot of balls to the mix. i would recomend you to turn down the bass a little bit and turn up the drums. if you are using Superior Drummer 2, you can get a lot better tones for the drums, but it may take hours to get it.
It is a nice cover overall (Y)
By the way, i used Adobe Premier CS 5, it is pretty expensive but totally worth it. please do yourself a favor and never use sony vegas
Greetings From México ^w^

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
guitarwarrior96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
rustausa
Hola 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwarrior96
Thanks for the crit , what equipment did you use?
you could improve your bass tone, also if you record 2 tracks for the bass, both centered but with diferent tones (personally i like one clean and one overdriven) it gives a lot of balls to the mix. i would recomend you to turn down the bass a little bit and turn up the drums. if you are using Superior Drummer 2, you can get a lot better tones for the drums, but it may take hours to get it.
It is a nice cover overall (Y)
By the way, i used Adobe Premier CS 5, it is pretty expensive but totally worth it. please do yourself a favor and never use sony vegas
Greetings From México ^w^

Thanks a bunch for your crit, it was really helpful! I totally agree with everything you said. I just started using EZ drummer and so I'm still trying to figure it out (it kept on clipping when I increased the volume and the compression didn't help much either...) so I gotta work on it a bit more. And thanks for the bass tip, I'm def gonna try it out! Keep on being awesome dude!

My equipment:
JS1000
Boss GT8 FX Pedal
Fender Squier Jazz bass
Yamaha powered mixer
When one truly knows oneself, one understands that one is divine, but also one understands that one is mortal. In such a way, you recognize that this mortality is really meaningless, as physical existence is meaningless.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
guitarwarrior96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustausa
Thanks a bunch for your crit, it was really helpful! I totally agree with everything you said. I just started using EZ drummer and so I'm still trying to figure it out (it kept on clipping when I increased the volume and the compression didn't help much either...) so I gotta work on it a bit more. And thanks for the bass tip, I'm def gonna try it out! Keep on being awesome dude!

My equipment:
JS1000
Boss GT8 FX Pedal
Fender Squier Jazz bass
Yamaha powered mixer

You sir have a beatiful guitar, i like your guitar tone a lot.
well i don´t know what DAW are you using, but if are using a High end one, like pro tools , studio one or even FL studio you should use the limiter to avoid the clipping. but i recommend you get a Mastering Soft, like Izotope or T-rack. I have both of them, Izotope is a lot better but need hour and hours to get a decent master and it also is freaking expensive. In the other hand T-rack isn't that good but still pretty decent, plus it is quite cheap (i buyed the entire Ik multimedia bundle for 250 buck in offer a couple of months back) and i belive it is for about 50 bucks Because of The thanksgiving offers. both softwares eliminate the clipping Totally and the improve is masive

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
rustausa
Hola 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwarrior96
You sir have a beatiful guitar, i like your guitar tone a lot.
well i don´t know what DAW are you using, but if are using a High end one, like pro tools , studio one or even FL studio you should use the limiter to avoid the clipping. but i recommend you get a Mastering Soft, like Izotope or T-rack. I have both of them, Izotope is a lot better but need hour and hours to get a decent master and it also is freaking expensive. In the other hand T-rack isn't that good but still pretty decent, plus it is quite cheap (i buyed the entire Ik multimedia bundle for 250 buck in offer a couple of months back) and i belive it is for about 50 bucks Because of The thanksgiving offers. both softwares eliminate the clipping Totally and the improve is masive

That guitar is the best investment I have ever made! After trying it out I knew from the first second that that was the one I HAD to get (and im a huge satch fan too). It really was love at fist sight
I'm using mixcraft and I had JUST found that limiter before I read your comment, and you were right, MAJOR improvement! I also started with Izotope and its pretty kickass. Im still a noob at all of this mixing and mastering so im still learning about all the parameters/compression/EQing etc, so these covers I do are all really just practice sessions for me. I see you know what you are talking about eh, how long have you been recording stuff?!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
guitarwarrior96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustausa
That guitar is the best investment I have ever made! After trying it out I knew from the first second that that was the one I HAD to get (and im a huge satch fan too). It really was love at fist sight
I'm using mixcraft and I had JUST found that limiter before I read your comment, and you were right, MAJOR improvement! I also started with Izotope and its pretty kickass. Im still a noob at all of this mixing and mastering so im still learning about all the parameters/compression/EQing etc, so these covers I do are all really just practice sessions for me. I see you know what you are talking about eh, how long have you been recording stuff?!

Yeah i know exactly what you mean, it is pretty much the same way to me, my cover are pretty much just practice.
well i have been recording for about 9 month,i am not that good, i actually started with mixcraft and try a lot of diferent DAWs but i just fell in love with Studio One, Reaper is also freaking good, a total Bang for Your Bucks. for most of my cover i don't have enough time, so most of them end a little bit messy, i pretty much recorded them for fun. most of the things i have learned come from this forum, there are some really nice and helpful guys arround here.
Keep Working dude, i don't know how much have you been recording, but you are pretty good, you 28 days cover is nice and decent, just keep messing around with the softwares, and try this post http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1510295 ONLY if you thing you are ready, they tend to be hard with everything and sometime even dicks

Gear:
Eleven rack
Ibanez RT
Studio One 2
IK Stealth Pedal
Redwirez Impulses
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
rustausa
Hola 7

Ya, like I said, total noob still. This was my 2nd real recording ever. I only really started with mixing/mastering like 2 weeks ago and damn, its not as easy as it looks! I didn't realize how long it would take either to make, so I totally get why you say they can be a bit messy. I'll definitely check out that post though. I think the only real way to learn and to improve with this kinda stuff is with hxc crits, so I really appreciate the feedback (even if its from dicks, but i expect them to be everywhere, this is the internet)! Thanks again for being so helpful, the world needs more people like you!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
ElGrecco

first of all thx for the reply man
i think the sound is rly good! especially the use of the guitareffects!
u caught the atmosphere perfectly , how the song builts up tension etc.!
good job mate!
ElGrecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
BottleLife

Really nice cover dude!) Love your playing, tones and the mix. It sounds pretty good to my ears, nicely done. I'm looking forward to hearing more covers from you!

C4C http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1573398
BottleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
USCENDONE BENE
Fort Kickass

I have to say that i love this song, actually one of my most played on my iPod.

I think this is a decent cover, not perfect but you really capture the essence of the song and overall you've done a good job here.
USCENDONE BENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
onemetalhead92

Amazing !!
only the volume was really low ... otherwise i was amazed

C4C? : http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1575445
-Randall RX-15M

~~~~~~~~~~~~
My Channel

Cheers \m/ \m/
onemetalhead92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
LeeAlacoque

I've never heard the song before but that sounded pretty professional.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1575636
LeeAlacoque is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: