Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
KelbeyW

Talking Fade to Black - Metallica (+ Last Solo) - All guitars - C4C :D + BT

Hey!

It took me a while to film this, I play rhythm guitar with the band and so I couldn't nail the last solo But I got close! Take a look.

A like is appreciated, they give a feeling of satisfaction for the hard work :P And if you see some flaws please point them out! I'm always in for critics, they help me get better

Fade to Black - Metallica

I play an Ibanez Premium 807qmz RDT, an awesome guitar in my opinion It's plugged into the CUBE 40XL. Filmed with an iPhone.

People do C4C, never done that before, but if you comment on the video I will take a look at yours and comment too It seems to work well for some reason.

Last edited by KelbeyW : 03-31-2013 at 10:45 AM.
KelbeyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Metal Turtle

Cool

Hello KelbeyW,

Thanks for your comments on the "Master Of Puppets" video, really means a lot. The overall Rhythm sections were spot on. Though it would of been nice if you cranked up the Gain/Disortion more, just so we could appreciated it more but there must be reasons on why its low.

At (3:54) try and palm mute those sections a but more, it will make it sound much better. At (4:18)(4:59) it would be cool if you played the harmony parts with two videos playing next to each other.

The solo was actually not bad man, I feel again if you added more of a Gain to the sound it would intensify the effect. It does seem like your still learning to perfect the solo but so far i think its coming along very nice!

I also commented on it from my Channel

Last edited by Metal Turtle : 03-31-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
KelbeyW

Wow thank you very much is all I can say, a nice long comment

You were completely right, my Gain was only at 2/10... When I decided to start filming, I checked everything: bass, mid, treble, my tuning, everything. Guess I missed the Gain :s I just tried it out with more gain, it does sound more powerful! I will keep that in mind next time I will record a song with distortion.

And with the section (3:54) you mean:

string A --999-777-555-444s5

right? Because I did not know that has to be muted :p Have been playing that part for a year now, always unmuted.

And what do you mean by the harmony parts? Do you mean just play it twice to make it more powerful? I was doubting to do that somewhere in the song, but decided not to.

Anyway thx for this long comment You sound like someone with a lot of experience! I checked your channel, you play very well, and I like the style you are covering so I subscribed Hope to hear more of you!

For Whom the Bell Tolls - Metallica
From Yesterday - 30 Seconds to Mars

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
Ibanez Premium 870qmz RDT
40XL Cube
iPhone 4
Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Metal Turtle

Smile

You know how Metallica play two guitars but they both play different notes? That's what i meant by "Harmony" its like two guitars that play different noted but they compliment each other. Think of the intro from "Battery" and you'll know what i mean.

the part I mentioned at string "A --999-777-555-444s5" should be palm muted,

Also yeah man, just ask me anything you need to know and i'll try my best to help out. I like the Metallica style and i feel if i keep perfecting the style maybe i can jam with them someday
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Big bang theory

preyty good, I agree with metal turtle that's a little more gain is needed. Also a little bit of EQ by knocking down the mids to get that "scooped" tone. Also I would edit out the bits where you not playing and waiting for your next part cause you look bored and its slightly distracting. Overall good cover, good posture, loosen up a bit. Your moving in the right direction.

C4C
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1595487
Big bang theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
KelbeyW

Ah ok thx xD I thought if I'd cut the parts out people will think I can only play bit by bit, now I play everything in one go because, well, anyone can play bit by bit. But it's okay it'll be easier for me

Thx for the comment.

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
40XL Cube
iPhone 4
Old 04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Jacek.W

Ur playing is pretty good.
It would sound ten times better though, if u had a better tone - try adding more distortion and reverb for the lead sections. In my opinion adding reverb to most solos makes them sound really cool.

I got a line 6 pod studio UX1 a few years back and you can get some really amazing tones on it. Its great for recording - U should check it out

C4c?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1595105

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...94#post31224094

Quote:
Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Jacek.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
KelbeyW

Thx for your comment People have said already I need more gain, I can't believe I forgot to check it

I'll try and find one of those, my iPhone isn't the best recording device of course

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
40XL Cube
iPhone 4
Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
ThoriumEx

Nice Cover!
Very good finger picking technique.
6:06 - 6:20 Very nice! that parts is not so easy and you nailed it!

Things to improve:
Try to get a better sound, im sure you can do it with your equipment, try to get a brighter clean, and a distortion with more gain and mids.
Make the song/backing track louder.
Practice more before shooting a cover, the cover will turn out better and it will take you much less time making it.
If you can, try recording your amp louder, so we will hear more amp and less strings.
Oh, and the most important think, dont be lazy, go learn some solos, in fact, alot of solos.

Thats it i think, Good luck!

Last edited by ThoriumEx : 04-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.
ThoriumEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #10
KelbeyW

Hey thx alot

I will try and buy some more equipment later on, but I don't have much money and that Ibanez Premium I bought a week ago, first better guitar then equipment So in the next few months I will be able to buy some recording stuff.

And for the solo's I also need time, which I don't have I am in my exam-year and I should be learning and studying whole day seeming my exams are over 4 weeks lol, but once the exams are over I have all the time in the world, and then I will learn some amazing solo's

Once again thank you

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
40XL Cube
iPhone 4
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Overall it was a decent cover.

But yeah, you could improve your sound. And what I mean by improving your sound is to improve the tone but also to improve your technique. If your technique isn't good, you won't sound good even if you were using good gear. Your bends and vibratos aren't that great and if you improve those, your solos will sound much better. I mean, the solos lacked "feel" and I think that's because of your bends and vibratos and also timing. It kind of sounded like you were just trying to play the right notes (and struggled a bit). I know you said that you haven't really played solos but that's not an excuse. And you play the 3:50-> riff a bit wrong. The fast notes should be played a fourth higher. (Same frets but on D string instead of A string.)

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

The tone was real bad sorry to say. Real thin with almost non existent sustain.

As far as technique goes, your bends are off pitch and vibrato needs work. Timing was generally pretty average during the solo's as well. As the guy above me said the solo's lacked "feel". It's obvious you were just focusing on playing the right notes.

You'll get there though in time. Practice practice practice.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #13
KelbeyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Overall it was a decent cover.

But yeah, you could improve your sound. And what I mean by improving your sound is to improve the tone but also to improve your technique. If your technique isn't good, you won't sound good even if you were using good gear. Your bends and vibratos aren't that great and if you improve those, your solos will sound much better. I mean, the solos lacked "feel" and I think that's because of your bends and vibratos and also timing. It kind of sounded like you were just trying to play the right notes (and struggled a bit). I know you said that you haven't really played solos but that's not an excuse. And you play the 3:50-> riff a bit wrong. The fast notes should be played a fourth higher. (Same frets but on D string instead of A string.)

Thx for this comment, very useful I did pay attention to my bends and vibrato now, you are right, they aren't that good. And yeah I was playing to get the notes right, I think I need to play this solo more often and learn it better before recording it, so I'm going to do that next time.

I was doubting if the riff was wrong, someone said to me to play it on the D-string but I thought it sounded better. I couldn't find out which one was correct because they both fit into the scale, so I had to make a choice :p Wrong choice lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayne92
The tone was real bad sorry to say. Real thin with almost non existent sustain.

As far as technique goes, your bends are off pitch and vibrato needs work. Timing was generally pretty average during the solo's as well. As the guy above me said the solo's lacked "feel". It's obvious you were just focusing on playing the right notes.

You'll get there though in time. Practice practice practice.

The tone is bad indeed, I agree with you. And time is what I don't have so that will be hard But I will keep on playing this at lower speeds, and gradually go higher, till I can close to perfect it, then I will upload the newer version and see how that goes.

Thx guys for these critics, these no-mercy critics are the best, you learn the most out of them

For you both:

How can I improve my vibrato/bending? For the vibrato, do I need to move them up and down more? And what exactly am I doing wrong with the bends? Thx ^^

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
40XL Cube
iPhone 4

Last edited by KelbeyW : 04-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelbeyW
For you both:

How can I improve my vibrato/bending? For the vibrato, do I need to move them up and down more? And what exactly am I doing wrong with the bends? Thx ^^

There's 2 techniques that i'm a firm believer you can't really isolate and practice..

That being pinch harmonics and vibrato. Not a technique like alternate picking that you can grind to a metronome for hours a day and over the months you'll think damn i can really notice improvements..
I'm not entirely sure how to articulate what i'm trying to say but i think vibrato is a technique you will always always always be improving on. It's the one technique i believe is the hardest to "master". I also believe it's a technique you have to sort of make your own.. Everyone's vibrato is a little different. It develops over your entire life and is going to change very significantly as it does.
When people ask me to link a video of some really really top quality vibrato or unique vibrato..
When it comes to unique, i think of Steve Vai..

Whilst i wouldn't recommend learning circular vibrato like Steve Vai because it's not really necessary that's just a quick example of how much people's vibrato can differ.

When it comes to just ****ing good vibrato though.. This guy;

Cool solo too :P
Of course there's tonnes of other great players out there but this is just what comes to my mind immediately.

Anyways, that's just a quick thing on what i personally think about vibrato.

Of course bending and vibrato go hand in hand.
Here's a cool video i saw just the other day actually about bending..

So as i said not everyone may agree with me but that's just my 2 cents

EDIT:
Of course i think the best way you can practice bending / vibrato though is just practicing lots and lots and lots of different solo's with bending / vibrato..

The single best beginner / intermediate solo i can think of is this one..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv_go1xUyks#t=4m10s

For a lot of people it is much much harder than you would think. Very few people (even good players) can do this solo justice because the phrasing is just so damn solid. I couldn't think of a better solo for someone of your level to learn.

It's also one of my favourite songs. I definitely recommend checking it out, and if you like it for sure give it a go. I learnt it many years ago and it was once of the best things i ever did.

PS; Your best bet for getting advice would be to make a thread in the Guitar Techniques Forum. I generally lurk in that forum the most :p
It's also full of guys infinitely more knowledgeable than me.. Damn you Freepower
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112

Last edited by vayne92 : 04-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
KelbeyW

Thx for this man. I think I already understand what you're trying to point out. I like the circular vibrato xD But yeah if you say it's not really practicable then I will do what you say and learn more solo's. I am in my exam-year and in 4 weeks I have exams... So after the exams I think I will start learning myself some solo's, starting with the one you posted, coincidentally I wanted to learn that one because I saw someone else cover it. I guess with the help of my guitar teacher I will be able to vibrato better too, so I'll see how that goes.

Again, thx for this explanation, shame there isn't a 'honour post' button like on different forums :p

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
40XL Cube
iPhone 4
Old 04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #16
thebends26

I gotta say this was a pretty good cover. I agree with the past posts, though with what i agree with most is the tone. Your playing was good, but your tone made it sound dead. With a bit more adjustments tone wise this would sound loads better. Still a great job man, keep it up!

c4c? http://www.youtube.com/user/Jgomez182?feature=mhee

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Epiphone SG G-400 w/ Pearly Gates in the neck
Vox AC15
Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Line 6 GX
Line 6 PODfarm 2
thebends26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Intet

I cant even care about the eventual flaws in this one, what I REALLY like is the amount of time you've put into making this video, its a joy to watch

Get yourself a few pieces of recording equipment (interface+microphone, or just something like a pod hd) to make the sound up to scale with the rest
I know it might not be very constructive, but that's my opinion.

C4C ? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...19#post31299119
Old 04-14-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
KelbeyW

Yeah tone was pretty dead xD I got myself new recording equipment My new cover is recorded with it, though this meant I had to record video and audio separately and syncing them was a hell x(

Gear:

Ibanez Gio
40XL Cube
iPhone 4

Rate This Thread: