User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
YellowCat
Super Sexy Boogieman Slay

SRV - Cold Shot - Muting Technique

Hey, Folks!

So, I've been trying to play SRV's Cold Shot, but the muting technique is driving me crazy!

I have to strum up, muting all the strings, and go down playing only one note... Any ideas on a specific way to practice this? I can't play only one note when strumming down, so all notes sound, which is awful...

I've been using thin strings.. 0.009. Maybe a heavier gauge would help...

Thank you, folks!
YellowCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Mute all the strings other than the one you want to sound when playing the down stroke. It's not your strings, I play 9s in standard tuning and I can play that part very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
wiggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowCat
Hey, Folks!

So, I've been trying to play SRV's Cold Shot, but the muting technique is driving me crazy!

I have to strum up, muting all the strings, and go down playing only one note... Any ideas on a specific way to practice this? I can't play only one note when strumming down, so all notes sound, which is awful...

I've been using thin strings.. 0.009. Maybe a heavier gauge would help...

Thank you, folks!

Sart the up stroke with no muting then quickly mute as soon as your pick moves off the low E, gives a kind of gulp sound.

Down stroke is easy, take it really slow play one string at a time and adjust your fretting hand til you get all but the one note muted. You will be amazed at how quickly this becomes natural to you.

wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Monkeyleg
Tataglia is a pimp.

I hope YellowCat doesn't mind me chiming in on this.

I've been having the same frustration trying to get that sound on "Pride and Joy". I've had a zillion forum members and YouTube videos tell me to mute all but the desired string on the downstroke, and then quickly mute all of the strings on the upstroke after getting an extremely short "gulp" sound.

Muting all but the desired string on the downstroke still produces a sound from the muted strings. I've listened to "Pride and Joy" on several different sound systems (car audio, home stereo, computer), and have played it at half speed and quarter speed. I don't hear SRV hitting other strings on the downstroke. I only hear the desired string.

I can duplicate the sound I hear from the recording only if I hit the desired string on the downstroke, but no other strings. It's very hard to do that, though, especially at speed.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
amakely

Right before the downstroke, you mute the strings you don't want so they will stop ringing. Then you downstroke the note, and on the upstroke you can either mute them all or actually let them all ring, depending on what you like.

Practice by just choosing a note anywhere on your A string, mute the rest and hit with a swift downstroke while listening carefully. You should only hear one note, perhaps with a bit of "scratch" attack to it, depending on how many other strings you hit. There's nothing wrong with that "scratch" attack. I saw on my guitar all night long at the gig, and left mute what I don't want most of the time.

Keep at it. You can do it. It will indeed come naturally after a while.

Also: You don't always have to mute on the upstroke. Stevie would often just whack the open strings on the upstroke and immediate mute them all. Check this clip for an example.

Last edited by amakely : 05-17-2013 at 11:56 PM.
amakely is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: