Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
tjbhdeath squad
UG's Favorite User

Location: Seriously, certified favorite user on UG by popular vote
Electric-acoustic discussion

<short rant> I avoid buying acoustic-electrics, because the manufacture charges you on average $200 more for a piece of junk pickup. I just save the money finding a dreadnought I adore the sound of, and install LR Baggs M1pickups in them.</short rant>

I just ordered the LR Baggs Para Acoustic direct box to hopefully score even richer tone and I was just wondering if anybody else has any setups that they are very satisfied with as far as amplifying their acoustic. Maybe a good discussion will spark from it.

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
tjbhdeath squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Well, as long as we're not discussing First Act Custom guitars, I'll toss in my opinion.

Some seem to love 'em, and some seem to hate 'em... I really like the Expression pickup system on the Taylor acoustics. I now own three Taylors and they really do sound as good unplugged as they do plugged in. When I plug in, I either use my Rivera Sedona ES, or go direct in to my Presonus mixer. With my T5, it gets plugged into any of the amps, or direct in to the StudioLive 16.4.2.

My wife owns a Takamine and a Yamaha acoustic with factory pickups. Not so crazy about the plugged in tone I get with those, but they aren't bad unplugged or miked.

FWIW, the Expression System is $400 - at least that's what the BTO sheet on my Custom GS shows.

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 04-16-2012 at 11:28 PM.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

i have to agree with KG. i get all mine ready to go( oddly i rarely plug them in) i buy my cars with tires on them already and my big macs with the buns covering the beef type pattie thingies. i wouldnt dream of using a non expressions system on my taylor... they were meant to be together(although i'd appreciate an onboard tuner) my others 'cept for one all have onboards. so much easier to change from E to drop C and such. i'll probably never play in front of a crowd, i'll never get that good. broken every finger a minimum of twice each, i'll never get the dexterity required. but its nice to know its there if i ever need it.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

The thing that's neat about the Taylor ES is that it's a balanced output. It's meant for going straight into a mixing desk, or going into a balanced amp, such as the Rivera Sedona ES. I frequently use mine both ways and the sound is great no matter how you use it. Not trying to sound like a commercial for Taylor Guitars, but I own three and wouldn't trade or sell any of them. And I've had offers on the one, but won't sell it.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
IMtBike

Location: Southern Maryland (we go huntin' fer deer the weekend after Thanksgivin')
Gotta say I like the built-in SRT pickup in my Yamaha A3R. It's got a great sound and a bunch of features. Not trying to sound like a Yamaha ad, but it does a pretty good job of recreating the acoustic sound.

Here's a video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8b0OhEcnXI
Some of the related videos do a good job of demonstrating it too.

Most Epic Build!
IMtBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
1500 meanstreak

On the high end Martin/Taylor/Gibson guitars the factory installed systems are fine. Any AE under $1000 is going to have a shitty pickup 99% of the time IMHO. I do the same, I have 3 acoustics that I added L.R. Baggs iBeam or Element pickups too and another I put a Fishman soundhole pickup in.

Rate This Thread: