Password
Search:

Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #1161
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
Is Batman Eternal good?

Picked up the first two today, I'm really liking it. I know it'll be more expensive by the end than the trades, but I wanna know what happens dammit!

Had more thoughts after reading the first two issues a bit more.

It could dwelve into being like Spiderman 3 however, too many characters, not enough plot. But it does cover the entire Batman Mythos which is nice.

Now I'm not up to date with the new 52 stuff, but do all the DC related characters share a universe? Like in the same way Marvel do? Maybe I'm overthinking this one because it's twenty to three in the morning and I just read a bunch of comics.
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy

Last edited by Fisheth24 : Yesterday at 09:34 PM.
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #1162
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

How did you guys get into graphic novels or comics? I ask because I read some occasionally but not a lot. I never really know how to find something I want to read. I usually get drawn in by the artwork and then stay for the story. I like things that are not so superhuman focused. I'm not saying I dislike those, but I usually look for something a little more offbeat than that.

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join
Ticket48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #1163
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticket48
How did you guys get into graphic novels or comics? I ask because I read some occasionally but not a lot. I never really know how to find something I want to read. I usually get drawn in by the artwork and then stay for the story. I like things that are not so superhuman focused. I'm not saying I dislike those, but I usually look for something a little more offbeat than that.

I started reading after seeing Captain America: The First Avenger and then the trailer for The Avengers. I've always been a sucker for the kind of story telling where you see the same thing happen through different perspectives, (for instance one of my favorites video games of all time is Sonic Adventure 2 where you have to play through the same story separately as the heroes and the villains) and it had never occurred to me until that moment that comic books are all about that. I've been a passionate and somewhat obsessive Marvel fan since then, but I'm sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of things going on with crossovers and events intruding on the main stories (seriously, can Guardians of the Galaxy be left alone by other books for a while??), and so that motivates me to read more indie stuff. I'll basically try anything indie if it either A) has a great reputation among the community i.e. Sandman, Fables, Watchmen, or B) it's only a few issues in so I don't waste too much effort on it if I end up not liking it. As for DC, I read the first story arc of nearly all of the New 52 titles and didn't care for most of them. Not sure if it I found the characters less interesting or the writing less impressive but it seemed like a combination of both, so now I only really read maybe 4 or 5 currently ongoing DC books, and I don't particular look forward to any of them.
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:44 PM   #1164
DukeDeRox
I draw STUFF

I started with Batman tpbs and graphic novels like DMZ. I always like Batman stories cause he's just human and he gets his ass handed to him a fair amount of times.
DukeDeRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #1165
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:

For me it started with Watchmen as I heard my dad talk about how it featured characters that weren't super-powered but only did the jobs of superheroes and for me that was an interesting take on it. I've only really started getting into comics because I've not got a bit of disposable cash my way so I'm finding myself picking up comic books whenever I can these days.

To be honest I'm with you on non superpowered characters. I mean yes, I like the occasional Superman story (Red Son being a prime example) but it's when writers do interesting things with characters I get drawn in. Such as Kingdom Come, Red Son, Killing Joke (Great but short)

I'm really into characters that aren't really superpowered. I'm really enjoying Mark Miller's Starlight at the moment (Which is on Issue two right now) which involves a Flash Gordon like character who's far too old to do anything has found himself becoming asked to be a hero thirty odd years after he was one. Very into Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper and all the 2000AD stuff too.

Edit: I'm the same with Batman, I just don't find him a very interesting character. But the universe is built up around Batman, rather than him being the driving force. I've not read Year One, Long Halloween or Dark Knight Returns (despite owning a copy, just flicked through it once and couldn't get on with the artwork)

Another Edit: I did watch the 90's Spiderman cartoon and X-Men Evolution from time to time when I was younger!
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V

Last edited by Fisheth24 : 04-17-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #1166
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Quote:

Fell in love with the X-Men cartoon as a kid which eventually got me buying any X-Men comics that popped up at the local newsagents. Then branched out to other Marvel stuff and fell in love with The Hulk too.

Kinda stopped when I started secondary school but then came back with a vengeance a few years later. Started getting into DC and started branching out into non-superhero stuff. Now I'll just pick up anything that looks interesting, especially if it's cheap. Only really buy TPBs now though.

Still love coming back to Hulk and The X-Men.

PSN: leo-da-bam
Steam ID: chunkadelic
homeless-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:28 PM   #1167
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

Oh wow, a nice chunk of replies. Thanks guys.

I never really get into TV shows anymore. I used to watch tons of cartoons. Almost anything really. Slowly, I drifted further and further away. Now, here I am. I don't even have cable. Now that I'm older and look back. Samurai Jack, Futurama (I remember finding out this show was cancelled. Going back and watching it, so many jokes went over my head. I understand now why my dad watched it with me), Trigun, and a handful of others really stick out for me in terms of style and content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
I'm really into characters that aren't really superpowered. I'm really enjoying Mark Miller's Starlight at the moment (Which is on Issue two right now) which involves a Flash Gordon like character who's far too old to do anything has found himself becoming asked to be a hero thirty odd years after he was one. Very into Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper and all the 2000AD stuff too.

That's cool, I'll have to look those up. I've liked what I've read from Miller. And I really liked American Jesus. It had a nice turn but there's only the one issue(?). I thought it was an interesting topic that should have more attention, I guess Miller didn't.

That being said, one of the last things I read was Chew. I liked pretty much everything. But, I wouldn't know where to look to find my next interesting read. I just kind of stumbled onto these things. I was curious if others did the same.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #1168
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Oh wow, a nice chunk of replies. Thanks guys.

I never really get into TV shows anymore. I used to watch tons of cartoons. Almost anything really. Slowly, I drifted further and further away. Now, here I am. I don't even have cable. Now that I'm older and look back. Samurai Jack, Futurama (I remember finding out this show was cancelled. Going back and watching it, so many jokes went over my head. I understand now why my dad watched it with me), Trigun, and a handful of others really stick out for me in terms of style and content.

That's cool, I'll have to look those up. I've liked what I've read from Miller. And I really liked American Jesus. It had a nice turn but there's only the one issue(?). I thought it was an interesting topic that should have more attention, I guess Miller didn't.

That being said, one of the last things I read was Chew. I liked pretty much everything. But, I wouldn't know where to look to find my next interesting read. I just kind of stumbled onto these things. I was curious if others did the same.

American Jesus I've never read. I want too though!
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #1169
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
American Jesus I've never read. I want too though!

It's worth a read. The art is simple and there are a lot of subtle things to pick up in some panels after you know a thing or two about the story. There's only one volume and it doesn't seem like there will be anymore to the story.

I was looking for my copy of it and I found it along with this:

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #1170
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Going to track those down!
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #1171
imdeth
Masculinist

Quote:

I brought my first comic, Deadpool Max #1, after playing Marvel Vs Capcom 3. I adore the artwork and have been a DP fan since. Posehn/Duggan's current run is awesome. I've found most of my favourites from recommendations in this thread (preacher, 100 bullets).

show
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #1172
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Anyone else reading the Apocalypse Al mini series that's done by JMS? Just read them all again, they're a fun read but nothing really special. IMO.
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM   #1173
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

I am kind of a noob when it comes to comics, but recently I read the first ~47 issues of Hellblazer and got caught up on the Walking Dead.

I need something similar to the former, I'm thinking Preacher since the guy who did issues 41-100 or so of Hellblazer is the same guy. Any other recs?

Also just based on reading Watchmen (parts of it anyway) I think I'd *probably* like anything by Alan Moore, so recs on what his other best stuff would be?
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #1174
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
I am kind of a noob when it comes to comics, but recently I read the first ~47 issues of Hellblazer and got caught up on the Walking Dead.

I need something similar to the former, I'm thinking Preacher since the guy who did issues 41-100 or so of Hellblazer is the same guy. Any other recs?

Also just based on reading Watchmen (parts of it anyway) I think I'd *probably* like anything by Alan Moore, so recs on what his other best stuff would be?

Alan Moore, I'd say V For Vendetta/League Of Extraordinary Gentleman (Avoid the film with Sean Connary in) Also his run on Swamp Thing/Rogue Trooper/2000AD are worth looking into.

V for Vendetta is fairly political though, mainly about Thatcherism, which was a big thing over here in the 80's. (If I remember rightly, I haven't read it for a long time. One of the early comics I read when I was about fifteen)

I think he was behind Marvel Man with Neil Gailman also (Check out Sandman, it's worth the read if you're into Gailman's work)
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V

Last edited by Fisheth24 : Yesterday at 09:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #1175
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer

Is it blasphemy that I didn't care for Sandman? I started reading it on recommendation from this thread, and it's general reputation among comic bookdom, and I quit about 20 issues in. It had some moments, but it generally just felt like it was trying to be too abstract and weird. I did read the spinoff mini-series for Lucifer and I can't wait to read the main title once I get the chance.
Atlas' Burden (Instrumental)
And for those who really enjoyed that and want to hear other random songs unrelated to that album...
Other music
Macabre_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #1176
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macabre_Turtle
Is it blasphemy that I didn't care for Sandman? I started reading it on recommendation from this thread, and it's general reputation among comic bookdom, and I quit about 20 issues in. It had some moments, but it generally just felt like it was trying to be too abstract and weird. I did read the spinoff mini-series for Lucifer and I can't wait to read the main title once I get the chance.

I've never read Sandman, so I don't know.

I do remember reading a novel with Lucifer Morningstar in it, but it was really far in and I was really confused.

Thank God for libraries.
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #1177
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Bros, did none of you read my massive post on the last page?

Preacher is bad because Ennis writes for 13 year old boys that like edgy things like Nine Inch Nails.

Sandman took me like 6 tries until I wanted to persevere. Glad that I did because there is a ton of amazing work. Read it as a story about stories and storytelling. Later on this gets hammered home, but having that perspective from the start was helpful.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM   #1178
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhh_me?
Bros, did none of you read my massive post on the last page?

Preacher is bad because Ennis writes for 13 year old boys that like edgy things like Nine Inch Nails.

Sandman took me like 6 tries until I wanted to persevere. Glad that I did because there is a ton of amazing work.

The only thing I know about Preacher is that it's getting a TV series made of it, now from what I've skimmed through in a comic store (When contemplating buying it, it reminded me of the Juvenile nature of Battlepope without the absurdist humor) from what I've heard, the episodes will only be opening and closing credits!
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez RG7321
Gibson Faded V
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM   #1179
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Apparently Constantine is gonna be a TV show too.

It might be completely wack.
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: