Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
dkennedy88
I pick some geetar :p

Refinishing PRS -- Where to get custom decals printed?

I'm currently working on a refinish of a 2011 PRS SE Singlecut. The neck snapped off the guitar, but cleanly, which allowed me to do a neck reset, which was a success. I've played and recorded with it since then-still sounds and plays great. Afterwards, I'm left with ugly battle scars along the heel and neck joint. So I decided to do a total refinish, since a spot touch-up, with my painting skills, would be ugly.

The guitar was finished in Antique White, which I LOVE. I'm redoing that on the top, but leaving it natural on the back, neck, and headstock. In doing this, I will have to remove the serial number from the back of the headstock (btw, it's serial number L12300, making it a 2011 model). I still want the serial number on the guitar, so I reproduced the entirety of the text on the back of the headstock, right down to the accurate fonts (Apparently Excelsior LT in bold makes for a hell of a serial number font when tweaked right).

For example, here is the back of the headstock of a 2008 SE Singlecut Trem, displayed on Elderly:

And here is the overlay I did on Photoshop CS2 (yeah I know I'm in the stone age). It's not perfect, but I can always tweak it in the PSD file:

Where could I have a decal printed for this, for a reasonable price? I've tried printing my own, 1) but I suck at it, and 2) I need white and gold inks, since the background of the text will be the natural mahogany, instead of the black I used so the text would show up.

NOTE: I AM NOT ATTEMPTING TO COUNTERFEIT A GUITAR. THE ONLY REASON I WANT TO REPRODUCE THIS TEXT IS SO IT WILL NOT BE CONFUSED WITH ANOTHER PRS, AND TO PRESERVE THE SERIAL NUMBER, FOR POTENTIAL RESALE.
dkennedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
ibanez2011

I have no info for you, sorry. but I would love to see a thread of you refinishing the guitar
Old 02-18-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
LeviMan_2001

Don't have any advice, except that I've printed my own decals, but only black and white. Re-did a squier and put a squier logo back on it, like a baws.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

Why don't you try screen printing/silk-screening? I'm pretty sure that's how they do it. I don't think it is too expensive, and those inks are fairly common.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You can get things printed to waterslide transparency paper quite cheaply, but you may have to make it a bulk order. Look up printing services in your area and ask them what they can offer.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
dkennedy88
I pick some geetar :p

Me thinks I actually might do the back of the headstock up like a stinger, like some Les Pauls I've seen. As long as I can do it right.

It'll take a couple weeks, but I will get a refinish thread up when work is underway.
dkennedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Kyleisthename

If you're refinishing the guitar and it already had a repair done by an unauthorized tech (not done by PRS) you have thrown resale value out the window sir.

I wouldn't worry about the resale anyway with a lower end guitar.

The Youtubes
Kyleisthename is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: