Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Aimforthehead

New amp for "skramz"

Hey everyone.

I'm in the market for a new amp. I think I'm getting around $500 or $600 dollars back from my income taxes and I want to put it toward a new amp.
Currently I have a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x12. I love the amp to death, but sadly, it isn't loud enough to keep up with my other guitarist's Twin Reverb, my bass player's amp (I don't know specifically what it is) and my drummer.
I've been running it through a Bugera 2x12 cab for extra volume, which has been helping, but I'm not really getting the tones I want. If needed, I planned on either selling the Fender or trading toward a new amp and cab.
I have a Gretsch Duo Jet which is plugged into my tube screamer, big muff, and freeze.
So my set up is Hot Rod DeVille -> Freeze -> Muff -> Tube Screamer -> Guitar. And through the effects loop I have a Line 6 DL 4.
I'm currently in a band who's been jamming a lot of "skramz," post hardcore, post rock, and "emo." I also like to dabble in blues and whatnot when I'm at home jamming.
So anyway, which amp should I get? I haven't looked at amps in almost three years, so I'm kinda rusty as to what plays what well. I was thinking about an Orange Tiny Terror, but I'm worried about it being able to be heard, and the cleans suffering. I'm not too big on my cleans, but I need as much headroom as possible.
Thanks in advance. And I apologize for the wall of text.

EDIT: I listen to a lot of Raein, La Dispute, Old Gray, Circle Takes the Square, Pianos Become The Teeth, ect.

Last edited by Aimforthehead : 03-12-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Aimforthehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Check out the Mesa boogie f50 or 30, they are plenty loud and should be heavy enough, although it might be a chaotic enough heavy for stuff like pianos. I know la dispute use less popular mesas but I don't remember which ones
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Check out my soundcloud - Cold Things Never Catch Fire
jesus=dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Aimforthehead

I don't want to go super heavy with the gain and everything. I will probably be purchasing a Rat as well with the amp
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 DL 4
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
gerraguitar

you guys must play really loud for them to drown you out like that, the Devilles can get pretty loud. An AC30 might work, not sure if thats taking a step forwards or sideways from what you already have though.
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well

Last edited by gerraguitar : 03-12-2013 at 01:35 PM.
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
l3p4rd
ponx

there's no way that you're getting drowned out I'm assuming you're using a 410 (60 watts) that just doesn't seem feasible. My deville played up against a JCM 2000 DSL (100 watt) in a skramz band and most of the time had to turn down. Your bass player might be turning up a little too loud (I found that most skramz bass players do) or your positioning your amp a weird way in the room. Don't be afraid to crank it.

PS: I hate myself for using skramz non-ironically
Gretsch G5120

Last edited by l3p4rd : 03-12-2013 at 01:45 PM.
l3p4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
Aimforthehead

I blew the original speakers on it and had to get it repaired. The shop put in economy speakers because I couldn't afford what they originally came with. Would different speakers really make that big of a difference? And it breaks up at about 4 or 5 and doesn't get any louder at about 7
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 DL 4
Old 03-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimforthehead
I don't want to go super heavy with the gain and everything. I will probably be purchasing a Rat as well with the amp

Well they are pretty versatile and are said to have fender type cleans, might be worth a look
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Check out my soundcloud - Cold Things Never Catch Fire
jesus=dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
JxD

Old JCM 800's through the low-input channel and a clean boost sound great for this variety of music. If you scour the internet, you may be able to find one in the upper end of your budget. If you live in the States you might be able to get a Sunn for a decent price. Old Traynor heads (Bass Master, MK III, etc.) are great and can be had for about $400 (they're more plentiful in Canada though). If all else fails, V4's are great. Ridiculously loud, take pedals really well, etc. The band I'm in uses all those amps for screamo/skramz and it's worked out alright.
JxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Aimforthehead

I've never heard of V4's are they well known? Or Sunn. I'll check into those as well.
I also thought Traynor amps were more classic rock orientated.
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 DL 4
Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Pop into the Gear for Post-Rock Thread...half the guys in there play skramz and post-hardcore.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
JxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimforthehead
I've never heard of V4's are they well known? Or Sunn. I'll check into those as well.
I also thought Traynor amps were more classic rock orientated.

V4's are fairly well known. They were made by Ampeg in the 70's, have a ton of power, and a lot of headroom. They take pedals really nicely and they will easily match a Fender twin in volume. The downside of V4's is that they can be prone to dying easily.

Sunn heads come in a lot of different flavors, but the old tube stuff sounds really nice. The other guitarist in my band plays a Sceptre head, it sounds great and takes pedals well.

As for Traynor, I'm sure you could successfully play rock with them, but their vintage stuff absolutely slays for screamo/skramz. I've recorded a few records with a MK III and I've been into the tone every time. Not to mention, mine only set me back $300. It's never once had a technical problem (my 800 has died more times than I can remember) and it still has the original tubes.

You could also check out MusicMan amps. They were designed by Leo Fender and can be had for pretty modest sums. They're also super loud and sound really nice.
JxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Why don't you try asking your bandmates to turn it down a little. You are a band after all.

I mean the HRDs are louder than snot.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
Aimforthehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxD
V4's are fairly well known. They were made by Ampeg in the 70's, have a ton of power, and a lot of headroom. They take pedals really nicely and they will easily match a Fender twin in volume. The downside of V4's is that they can be prone to dying easily.

Sunn heads come in a lot of different flavors, but the old tube stuff sounds really nice. The other guitarist in my band plays a Sceptre head, it sounds great and takes pedals well.

As for Traynor, I'm sure you could successfully play rock with them, but their vintage stuff absolutely slays for screamo/skramz. I've recorded a few records with a MK III and I've been into the tone every time. Not to mention, mine only set me back $300. It's never once had a technical problem (my 800 has died more times than I can remember) and it still has the original tubes.

You could also check out MusicMan amps. They were designed by Leo Fender and can be had for pretty modest sums. They're also super loud and sound really nice.

I'll definitely look into all them. Thanks a lot for your help!
EHX Big Muff
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 DL 4
Old 03-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
l3p4rd
ponx

Look into Ampeg stuff like the GVT2, I know a lot of bands that skim and are in this genre play stuff like that. Loma Prieta has a really great sound out of something similar.
Gretsch G5120
l3p4rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: