Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
kiaba94

NAD/NCD coming soon!!

Hello guys!!

It has been a while since I Have posted and I Have some new Gear on the way!!

I am not sure if i am allowed to post it, However i am getting a custom amp from Hendy amps!!

Me being essentially illiterate when it comes to amps, i have a few questions!!

He sells point to point hand wired amps and the one i am getting is a very high gain amp that is switchable between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. Therefore i was going to get an avatar 212 for the head.

My question is what ohm should I get the cabinet? and does it really have any difference if the head is switchable?

Secondly, what speaker combination do y'all think would sound good and satisfy the aprox. 70 watt tube head?
these are the possible speaker options:
"Celestion: Vintage 30s, G12H30s, G12T75s, Greenbacks, Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s and G12K100s

Eminence Governors, Wizards, Private Jacks, Swamp Thangs"

Thank y'all so much!!
kiaba94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Well, first off, New Gear Day anticipation threads are banned, but you have some legit questions in here, so I'm not going to report it.

As for Cab ohms, it doesn't matter. Most heads anymore are switchable, and you can always do some simple rewiring if you need it changed. Some people claim a sound difference between settings, but it's probably snake oil.

I would be happy to recommend some speakers, but you gave us no idea of what sound you're going for. Give us some genres, spefic artists, and some description of what you want, and we'll be able to help you.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ +1

also what type of high gain amp is it? hot rod marshall? recto? 5150? etc.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaba94
He sells point to point hand wired amps and the one i am getting is a very high gain amp that is switchable between 4, 8, and 16 ohms. Therefore i was going to get an avatar 212 for the head.

My question is what ohm should I get the cabinet? and does it really have any difference if the head is switchable?

for a 2x12, i'd get two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel for a 8 ohm cabinet. if the speakers are wired in parallel and one speaker goes down then you'd still have the other speaker working 'til you got it fixed. also you can switch you amp over to 4 ohm mode and you'd be able to run two 8 ohm cabs at once if you ever wanted to get another cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaba94
Secondly, what speaker combination do y'all think would sound good and satisfy the aprox. 70 watt tube head?
these are the possible speaker options:
"Celestion: Vintage 30s, G12H30s, G12T75s, Greenbacks, Classic Lead 80s, Hellatone 30s, Hellatone 60s and G12K100s

Eminence Governors, Wizards, Private Jacks, Swamp Thangs"

depends on the genre you are trying to play in. for heavier music it seems mixing a V30 or G12T-75 with a G12K-100 is pretty popular. a couple of G12M-25's for a more classic rock feel might be desireable . it is hard to tell you what speakers you'd like.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: