Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Basset_hound
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
What kind of guitar is this? (1937)

Yo, I just bought myself a new guitar, well an old guitar actually, the store owner always has all these old guitars hanging on the ceiling and he finally decided to sell them so I bought the coolest looking one which is also the oldest of them all for about 250 euro's, so aound 500$ It still sounds great! Perfect for blues, I just need to replace 2 of the tuning pegs.

This guitar was made 1937 but it does not say any brand or nothing. Does anyone know exactly what kind of guitar this is?
The colors are a bit less vivid then on the picture, its more a kind of a brown sepia tone then red one.
Attached Images
 
Basset_hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
stealthpumpkin
Registered User
 
stealthpumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
That my friend looks like a Kay guitar, it's a United States brand that was popular back in the olden days. I know because my grandfather gave me a guitar that has the exact same body shape and style. They have a very thin base, but high trebles.

IF your bottom part was rusted out like mine, take it, and saturate it in a derusting solution, i think i used iron-out or something like that. Let it soak for a good 20-30 minutes, then take a sander (low grit) and sand it down once lightly. Then take a high grit and buff out any remainder, it will also give it a brushed steel look. Alternatively use steel wool.

I would also recommend removing that pick guard, it's not supposed to be there, you can tell. These guitars have a varnish finish which makes them almost impossible to scratch, give it a layer of wax or polyurethane if you're really concerned about that; but this is a classical guitar, not something you would use a pick on normally.

I would also recommend using lighter tension strings, if yours is like mine, it has no truss rod, I'm using Elixer Custom lights right now, but that's a classical guitar, so you can easily go with high tension for the nylons.

Happy playing; the company is out of business, and that is a year before serial numbers were really used so you probably won't get an exact model number.
stealthpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Basset_hound
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthpumpkin
That my friend looks like a Kay guitar, it's a United States brand that was popular back in the olden days. I know because my grandfather gave me a guitar that has the exact same body shape and style. They have a very thin base, but high trebles.

IF your bottom part was rusted out like mine, take it, and saturate it in a derusting solution, i think i used iron-out or something like that. Let it soak for a good 20-30 minutes, then take a sander (low grit) and sand it down once lightly. Then take a high grit and buff out any remainder, it will also give it a brushed steel look. Alternatively use steel wool.

I would also recommend removing that pick guard, it's not supposed to be there, you can tell. These guitars have a varnish finish which makes them almost impossible to scratch, give it a layer of wax or polyurethane if you're really concerned about that; but this is a classical guitar, not something you would use a pick on normally.

I would also recommend using lighter tension strings, if yours is like mine, it has no truss rod, I'm using Elixer Custom lights right now, but that's a classical guitar, so you can easily go with high tension for the nylons.

Happy playing; the company is out of business, and that is a year before serial numbers were really used so you probably won't get an exact model number.




Hey thanks for all the advice!
Are you sure its a Kay? I noticed on all other kays that they do have a kay logo on the head. This one doesnt have it and I still can't find a picture of a guitar that is exactly the same as this one when I look for kay guitars.
Basset_hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
stealthpumpkin
Registered User
 
stealthpumpkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basset_hound
Hey thanks for all the advice!
Are you sure its a Kay? I noticed on all other kays that they do have a kay logo on the head. This one doesnt have it and I still can't find a picture of a guitar that is exactly the same as this one when I look for kay guitars.


Kay guitars were allowed to be customized in terms of colour, but that F-hole is a key signature of Kay; I haven't seen another that looks like it. The headstock is actually nailed in on the models like yours and mine. The nails are about 1cm long and only maybe 1-2mm thick. The headstock is very flat, and alluminum and can easily be removed. If you'd like, i can take a picture of mine, it's a 1940s kay steel string.

BTW, that pickguard looks like someone put it on manually, don't know if i mentioned that before, nylon strings don't need a pick guard.

Last edited by stealthpumpkin : 05-22-2013 at 04:56 PM.
stealthpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
snakestretcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthpumpkin
Kay guitars were allowed to be customized in terms of colour, but that F-hole is a key signature of Kay; I haven't seen another that looks like it. The headstock is actually nailed in on the models like yours and mine. The nails are about 1cm long and only maybe 1-2mm thick. The headstock is very flat, and alluminum and can easily be removed. If you'd like, i can take a picture of mine, it's a 1940s kay steel string.

BTW, that pickguard looks like someone put it on manually, don't know if i mentioned that before, nylon strings don't need a pick guard.


Flamenco guitars (nylon strung) often have a 'golpeador' pickguard to protect the top from the aggressive and percussive techniques used.
snakestretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
Basset_hound
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthpumpkin
Kay guitars were allowed to be customized in terms of colour, but that F-hole is a key signature of Kay; I haven't seen another that looks like it. The headstock is actually nailed in on the models like yours and mine. The nails are about 1cm long and only maybe 1-2mm thick. The headstock is very flat, and alluminum and can easily be removed. If you'd like, i can take a picture of mine, it's a 1940s kay steel string.

BTW, that pickguard looks like someone put it on manually, don't know if i mentioned that before, nylon strings don't need a pick guard.


Hey thanks for all the info!
Yeah it would nice to see a picture of your guitar
Basset_hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.