Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #201
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by goest
Not as good, but extremely good.

Well, ok. But I'm more trying to figure out how people in here would describe their sound. Or maybe what features from "Through Silver In Blood" end up on the new album and how those features are used in an interesting new way. New features, Etc.

Be descriptive as shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palm mute
Times of Grace

They are different forms of this band, both are good in their own ways.

I actually read the review of "Times of Grace" that just popped up on the front page. After doing some research, I decided to get "Through Silver [...]". But I really liked how "Times [...]" sounded.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 11-20-2012 at 11:24 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #202
goest
SJW

Honor has a heavy Americana atmosphere. There's less creepy and more hopelessness.

Y'all should check out my band Sybassion
goest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #203
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by goest
Honor has a heavy Americana atmosphere. There's less creepy and more hopelessness.

That's a surprisingly short but very descriptive...um, description.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #204
palm mute
Reserved User

I always forget UG has a front page.

every night
palm mute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #205
BenRaah
zebra

If you liked Through Silver In Blood you should definitely get Enemy of The Sun and Times of Grace. Through Silver is their most claustrophobic sounding.

On the subject of the new album...

that song destroys
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #206
BenRaah
zebra

Nope, I think it's probably their best.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #207
guitarhero_764
UG Addict

I'm just getting into Neurosis. I love Souls at Zero(Sludge masterpiece imo) and Enemy of the Sun but the Through Silver still just sounds really boring to me. I'm sure that'll change with more listens though.

last.fm

Last edited by guitarhero_764 : 01-01-2013 at 01:47 AM.
guitarhero_764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #208
BenRaah
zebra

http://vimeo.com/70257039

Worth watching just for Eye
Old 03-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #209
hamett91
Ungulator

http://instagram.com/p/dajobTxPcc/

Taken at Lupos in Providence. So happy I finally got to see them live
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 AM   #210
The Virtuoso
L'╔tranger

I listened to Through Silver and Blood like 8 or 9 years ago, and I hated. Now, I am troo.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #211
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virtuoso
I listened to Through Silver and Blood like 8 or 9 years ago, and I hated. Now, I am troo.

I recently went back to this with a much different ear. (If you go back in the thread you'll see I had trouble understanding this work; it turns out I was listening to it incorrectly.) I have to do this from time to time with different releases, especially after I've been stuck in one particular musical area.

Anyway, after giving it another go... I don't like it. I at least understand the album now, though. I can't really give any significant criticism for what it is. It works well for what it is. It simply doesn't speak to me.
NotFromANUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #212
Ironic Maiden
Prurient

I never liked Through Silver in Blood, despite loving Neurosis.

I just never enjoyed it, I dunno why. I always liked Eye of Every Storm and Souls at Zero better.
Ironic Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #213
progbass
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromANUS
I recently went back to this with a much different ear. (If you go back in the thread you'll see I had trouble understanding this work; it turns out I was listening to it incorrectly.) I have to do this from time to time with different releases, especially after I've been stuck in one particular musical area.

Anyway, after giving it another go... I don't like it. I at least understand the album now, though. I can't really give any significant criticism for what it is. It works well for what it is. It simply doesn't speak to me.

I'm curious as to how you were listening wrong. Was it some sort of filter you were applying to the music that caused a particular bias of some sort or something else?

I'm fond of the record but I rarely give it a go; mostly due to it being so gosh darned long. Too much time and effort for me to devote in my old age.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #214
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
I'm curious as to how you were listening wrong. Was it some sort of filter you were applying to the music that caused a particular bias of some sort or something else?

I usually find it difficult to properly articulate these types of things, but I'll try.

I assume, like me, that when listening to different types of music, you intentionally or otherwise alter the way in which you focus your attention on the music. To give an obvious contrast, when listening to Death Metal I generally pinpoint my attention on the guitars (their dynamics, development, motion, etc.) while allowing the surrounding accompaniment to effectively fuse together as a whole that interacts with the primary instrument, the guitar. However, when listening to Black Metal, the music generally being of a more atmospheric nature, I tend to allow my attention to diffuse and broaden to allow an enveloping of the manifesting sonic aura.

These two approaches to listening work very well for the most part. However, certain works, including various Death Metal and Black Metal works, require a different approach. Specifically, it involves a pseudo-midpoint approach in which focus must be reframed to distinguish all instruments and listen to their interplay and development from a view that is slightly detached (for lack of a better word) but not indifferent or disengaged. This final approach is typically where I run in to trouble and what I believe is the appropriate method for listening to the work in question.

Does any of this make sense?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 AM   #215
progbass
UG Resident

Certainly. Have you considered listening to new music in reverse process? Meaning to start somewhat aloof while still engaged and focusing on particulars or drifting to encompass particular aspects on the follow up listens?
Old 03-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #216
NotFromANUS
Naturalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
Certainly. Have you considered listening to new music in reverse process? Meaning to start somewhat aloof while still engaged and focusing on particulars or drifting to encompass particular aspects on the follow up listens?

Not really. Once I trained my ear away from listening to Rock music and into Death Metal, then quickly Black Metal, I normally just instinctively followed an appropriate approach.

For example, I automatically take the third approach when listening to Classical music, but also with Scarlet Evil Witching Black and Final Holocaust (from first listen). The latter of those two is not necessarily obvious, but it was quite eye opening to me. Therefore, it is strange that I would listen to Through Silver in Blood inappropriately for so long. I can maybe think of a few other examples where I didn't immediately catch on, but never something in a repeated fashion like this.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #217
progbass
UG Resident

Well ill just call you a homophobic fascist then.

Rate This Thread: