Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
celitus
Baroque and roll

5 Track Symphonic Metal Demo CD

Hey guys, just thought I'd post the entirety of the "Once Upon a Time" EP here for some feedback

let me know what you think

UPDATED
http://download.gatexiii.co.uk/

Last edited by celitus : 11-27-2012 at 11:25 PM.
celitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
MaXiMuse
Has an X in his name

Why are the drums so soft? They need to be bangin! Listen to
it's always good to have songs for comparison

This is an electronic track I made, influenced by Trentemøller and Meshuggah
If you want C4C just give me a message!
MaXiMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
KevinGoetz
Mute Prophet Guitarist

Aside from the drums, the vocals sound far too dull. You did a great job of getting the guitars out of the way, but what you put in all that space is, frankly, a let-down. Try notching out a little bit of 200 and 500 hz on your vocals, to clear out the mud and boxiness, respectively. Then try a boost at 6000-8000 hz to add some air, followed by HEAVY compression and limiting, then a de-esser to clear out the sibilance that WILL be generated by processing like that.

Also, your bass guitar is non-existent, leaving your tracks feeling hollow and empty. As long as it doesn't have too much content at 80 (where your kick should be) and 200 (guitar low-mids), it shouldn't step on any other instruments.
KevinGoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
celitus
Baroque and roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGoetz
Aside from the drums, the vocals sound far too dull. You did a great job of getting the guitars out of the way, but what you put in all that space is, frankly, a let-down. Try notching out a little bit of 200 and 500 hz on your vocals, to clear out the mud and boxiness, respectively. Then try a boost at 6000-8000 hz to add some air, followed by HEAVY compression and limiting, then a de-esser to clear out the sibilance that WILL be generated by processing like that.

Also, your bass guitar is non-existent, leaving your tracks feeling hollow and empty. As long as it doesn't have too much content at 80 (where your kick should be) and 200 (guitar low-mids), it shouldn't step on any other instruments.

Thanks for the feedback, I always have trouble "cleaning" up vocals but this really helped improve them.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
marrs11
Est 1991

This song has really big potential!

Kevin is right though. Work on the drums. If you can, gate the snare to a track to put some reverb on it. If you've never done this before, the reverb is good to be 100% wet, and perhaps with a little bit of pre-delay to it, and then blend it down into the source snare track. It will give so much more room and body to the whole mix.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
celitus
Baroque and roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrs11
This song has really big potential!

Kevin is right though. Work on the drums. If you can, gate the snare to a track to put some reverb on it. If you've never done this before, the reverb is good to be 100% wet, and perhaps with a little bit of pre-delay to it, and then blend it down into the source snare track. It will give so much more room and body to the whole mix.

Thanks, thats always great to hear.

I have alot of trouble with the drum mix because its a drum machine, although I must look deeper into what outputs it has or if there are any auxillery ports so I can fine tune them a bit more.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
celitus
Baroque and roll

Just updating to say the EP has been mixed again to fix some of the issues stated and is now available to download free from bandcamp http://download.gatexiii.co.uk/

Rate This Thread: