Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
BugVomit
Doomed

Need a recommendation on 15" speakers

Hey folks,

I'm looking to either build my own or get a 2x15 cab built up and wanted some recommendations on speakers as it seems most 15" are made for bass and not guitar and so it's hard to find any good reviews on how they'd sound with my rig. Will be running my Sunn Beta Lead through it (at maximum volume for maximum results), so definitely looking for something that handles mids and low end well and are "throaty". Was thinking either Eminence Big Bens or Pro Kappa 15's but I've also heard good things about Weber Michigan 15's but I'd be worried they wouldn't high enough wattage as compared to the latter. Thoughts, or other recommendations are appreciated.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
ExDementia
UG Freak

Maybe you could try some bass cabs with 15" speakers already loaded to see how it sounds. That way you'll save yourself the hassle if it ends up not being what you're looking for.

I'll go out on a limb and guess you'll be pushing some doom through those speakers?
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
BugVomit
Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
Maybe you could try some bass cabs with 15" speakers already loaded to see how it sounds. That way you'll save yourself the hassle if it ends up not being what you're looking for.

I'll go out on a limb and guess you'll be pushing some doom through those speakers?

Oh I definitely know I want a 2x15, its just a matter of what speakers, and I dont think anyone makes anything that ship stock with any of the speakers mentioned above. And yeah this will essentially only account for 1/2 of my setup. Currently running the Sunn through an Ampeg 4x12 guitar cab and a Sovtek Mig-50 through a Marshall 4x12, ideally would like to fullstack the Mig and run the Sunn independently through the 2x15.

Last edited by BugVomit : 04-30-2013 at 07:30 PM.
BugVomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

eminence legends. i have one in a Randall cab, the legend sounds pretty nice. i have two 1x15" boxes built, i just need to get the speakers and do the finishing.
MESA TREM-O-VERB
MESA MKIV...

Ibanez Prestiges
Gibsons
and Wolfgangs

WTLT
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

much as it pains me to say it, it might be worth asking on tgp (the gear page). they've tried a lot of speakers over there. Or even just do a search and read existing threads.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: