Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
harrisonatsix

New Guitar

Hi, i'm looking for a new guitar but before i bore you with extra details i'll fill in your questions first;

Budget; is £350 max

Favourite Artists: modern british "pop punk" (I hate that term as they're not) artists such as You Me At Six, Kids In Glass Houses and Deaf Havana (newer stuff only)

Preferences: None really, my current guitar has p-90s so might be nice to have humbuckers as an alternative

New Or Used; preferably new or if used from a local dealer where I can go and see the instrument first

Located; in the south east of England, easiest two guitar shops for me to get to are Andertons and Nevada Music

Current Gear: a Fender JA-90 Telecaster (one of the best guitars I've ever played) a vox AC30 and an awful Ibanez Gio which I never use

Have been looking at the Ibanez Roadcore guitar which does look nice, however I saw Chris Miller playing one with a bigsby and was thinking Ibanez may announce one like that at namm, but opinions on this guitar would be good, I haven't really tried epiphones before but there do seem to be a lot in my budget so will give them a try.
I adore Fender guitars but not sure there will be anything in my budget.
This is going to be my second guitar and will most likely be kept in Drop D and occasionally go to half a step down and dropped d down a half step.
Please don't recommend anything like the Tom Delonge sig, i tried one and despise it, it sounds horrible through my setup.

Thanks in advance for your help;

Harrison
harrisonatsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

Some of the Blacktop Fenders are within your price range, and some have HBs. One, the Blacktop Jazzmaster has a HB and a P90/oversized singlecoil. The Blacktop Tele has 2 HBs.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...equestid=397649

If you can find them, Richmond Guitars Canada- a Godin subsidiary- offers the Belmont, Balmont Bigsby, and the Empire that also fit your bill. The Empire and Belmont in black would definitely be in your price range new. The Belmont in burgundy or with the Bigsby would probably only be affordable if used. The Belmonts have SD '59 HBs in the bridge and SD Lipsticks in the middle & neck positions, the Empire has a bridge HB and a P90/oversized singlecoil in the neck.

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/guitars.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
harrisonatsix

In the Uk the cheapest blacktop models are around £474 so are well out of my budget, but do seem the sort of guitar I'm looking for
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea the blacktop is an excellent recommendation. Why not sell the Gio and get a pedal or something to get you closer to the tone you want to achieve. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
harrisonatsix

what do people think of these http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/guitar...rd-plustop-pro- , do people use them for gigging, are they even comparable to a real les paul, would I be better off with a fender.?
Selling the gio's not a bad idea but i'm not sure i'd get more than £40 for it or something.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
dannyalcatraz

Epis are not Gibsons...not quite. Even so, they're pretty decent guitars, and people do gig with them.

If the Blacktop Jazzmaster really floats your boat, though, it might be worth the time to see if you can find a used one or maybe even a B-Stock.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
harrisonatsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Epis are not Gibsons...not quite. Even so, they're pretty decent guitars, and people do gig with them.

If the Blacktop Jazzmaster really floats your boat, though, it might be worth the time to see if you can find a used one or maybe even a B-Stock.

I've managed to find a b stock blacktop tele which seems quite nice, what are opinions on this one http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...sewood-neck.asp is it value for money or am i better off saving a while longer

I know epis are not gibson but how do they compare to the real thing?
Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

My personal faves in the Epiphone line are their semihollows and hollowbodies. I often recommend them alongside similar Gretsch and Ibanez Artcore guitars.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonatsix
I've managed to find a b stock blacktop tele which seems quite nice, what are opinions on this one http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...sewood-neck.asp is it value for money or am i better off saving a while longer

My one concern with that is that the ad says its a HH guitar, but the picture is a HSS guitar. I'd buy something like that, but the discrepancy needs to be cleared up. Give 'em a call.
Quote:
I know epis are not gibson but how do they compare to the real thing?

Generally speaking, Gibsons will have better woods, electronics and hardware. But Gibson has had some issues with QC of late, and Epi has had no such concerns. So even though they may be made with lower quality materials in general, a given Epi might be better made than a similar Gibson. That probably won't translate into a better sound, but it may mean that its easier to live with- more durable, holds tuning better, etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
daverichards
loves his fenders

can you really not go used?

i'd recommend a deluxe 72 tele every day of the week for what you play (if you want to stay fender)
daverichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thomann's blowing out the MIJ fender pawnshops for about that amount of money. If you don't need 22 frets they'd probably be worth considering. An MIJ for around £300 in the current economic climate (the yen's very strong) is a pretty good deal.

EDIT: to clarify, i haven't tried them. But i've tried enough MIJs that odds are they're gonna be pretty good.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
daverichards
loves his fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
thomann's blowing out the MIJ fender pawnshops for about that amount of money. If you don't need 22 frets they'd probably be worth considering. An MIJ for around £300 in the current economic climate (the yen's very strong) is a pretty good deal.

EDIT: to clarify, i haven't tried them. But i've tried enough MIJs that odds are they're gonna be pretty good.

yeh a pawnshop mustang for £350ish is a good deal, i'm still mulling it over..
daverichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
harrisonatsix

what are peoples opinions on the gibson melody makers?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverichards
yeh a pawnshop mustang for £350ish is a good deal, i'm still mulling it over..

yeah all of them are around that price, i think. the price has me thinking too (i'm looking more at the '51 or the '72). I really can't justify it or anything, but still...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisonatsix
what are peoples opinions on the gibson melody makers?

Cheap Gibsons made for kids who want Gibson on the headstock, look for used blacktops.

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
ProphetToJables is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: