User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #41
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Binding = string catching or binding on the nut. Open string sound = the open, unfretted notes

Okay, that makes sense. The context made it seem like binding met something bad about an open string sound like it ringing out or something.

I've never had a problem with the string binding or catching on the nut, is that a real common thing?

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #42
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
Okay, that makes sense. The context made it seem like binding met something bad about an open string sound like it ringing out or something.

I've never had a problem with the string binding or catching on the nut, is that a real common thing?

No, it's not really a common issue if the nut is cut right. It does happen if a burr develops, but it's easy to remedy(though the average guitarist seems to be happier paying someone for something like that, rather than fixing it themselves).

I am in no way saying that a regular nut is inferior to a zero fret. Just trying to explain the benefits of using one. Some people seem to think it's some cheap and inferior method, which isn't the case at all. And some manufacturers, like Gretsch, Vigier, Strandberg, Mosrite, and Steinberger use them(just to name a few).

And there are disadvantages, with the biggest one being wear on the zero fret. I'll probably be using one on my next build, but I've decided to use a stainless steel fret for it to reduce the wear, but regular nickel frets for the rest of the neck. That might affect the tonal consistency I was talking about, but it's a small price to pay, imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
I'm sorry, but this is pure BS.

Tell me why or STFU.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #43
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine86
It's a lawsuit-era Ibanez. All I could find was an eBay auction for a similar guitar.

n is an ibanez isn't lawsuit era. that guitar looks to be a very late 60s or early 70s model. lawsuit era guitars are later and look just like the guitars they are copying.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: