Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #21
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespinos
Then they can't setup their amps. I've used 3 different engls live and they all cut just fine. 60W fireball has mids at 10, but it cuts fine. Savage and e530 both cut through with any mid setting.

Right now me and the other guitarist are now using engl's (mostly) and have no issues with guitars cutting.

You're both using Engls? Of course they cut through each other, you aren't competing with a 2203.

I j/k. Some people can't dial in a 2203 to cut through a mix either. It's called user error.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
Heideck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredftw
as far as i'm concerned its people being an idiot about EQ'ing

i've played loads of amps that apparently don't cut through the mix in a band situation and theres nothing wrong with them. You need to get the mids in the right place, same with most amps, and ENGLs don't have THAT much in the mid range anyway in comparison to other amps.

on topic for TS ENGL make some great amps, the SE is still one of my favourite amps out there. Which model are you looking at in particular?? If you liked the one you played and it does all you need it to then i say go for it

I'm looking for the screamer (combo) or a powerball head, but I can't afford the Head + cabinets. I never tried just playing on a head, will I lose sound quality?

I'm mainly playing instrumental rock (satch, vai) and 80s thrash-death-power-prof-heavy metal (death, megadeth, dream theater, iron maiden, death angel, iron maiden, stratovarius, Holy Grail, living colour, children of boddom, impelliteri...etc)

I'm really searching a powerfull sound, and ENGL are just the "powerfullest/mightyest amps I ever tried

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
shredftw
Recto's and Headcrabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
I'm looking for the screamer (combo) or a powerball head, but I can't afford the Head + cabinets. I never tried just playing on a head, will I lose sound quality?

I'm mainly playing instrumental rock (satch, vai) and 80s thrash-death-power-prof-heavy metal (death, megadeth, dream theater, iron maiden, death angel, iron maiden, stratovarius, Holy Grail, living colour, children of boddom, impelliteri...etc)

I'm really searching a powerfull sound, and ENGL are just the "powerfullest/mightyest amps I ever tried

the ENGL is going to be a good shout then, its EL34 based so for the classic 80s thrash stuff it will sound great, and its will excel at the modern high gain stuff you're looking at. If you can save up and get a head + cab, it gives you far more versatility and despite what you think will actually save your back in the future (tube combos weigh a LOAD). My 2 cents would be save up and get a Powerball and a decent 2x12 cab to go with it
ESP
Mesa Boogie
Fractal Audio Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
shredftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #24
Heideck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredftw
the ENGL is going to be a good shout then, its EL34 based so for the classic 80s thrash stuff it will sound great, and its will excel at the modern high gain stuff you're looking at. If you can save up and get a head + cab, it gives you far more versatility and despite what you think will actually save your back in the future (tube combos weigh a LOAD). My 2 cents would be save up and get a Powerball and a decent 2x12 cab to go with it

If i play with just the head for a moment, will it sound good?

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

no, you'll kill the amp. you need speakers or you get no sound and a dead amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heideck
One of my firend talked me about ENGL amps, I checked review, checked videos on youtube, and everyone is saying they are wonderfull amps. I tried a cupple of them and they are. Before buying one, is there anything bad you head about?

No offense but that is one of the worst OP's I've ever read. I'm hoping English is not your first language because that would explain some of it.

Try this method instead.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

OT: the Fireball I played had a nice organic heavy metal tone to it.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
crazytjeuh

They're great amps!
I've got the Thunder combo but also played many of the range. When playing live it's all about Midrange Frequency!
crazytjeuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
mespinos
Hamer time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
You're both using Engls? Of course they cut through each other, you aren't competing with a 2203.

I j/k. Some people can't dial in a 2203 to cut through a mix either. It's called user error.

=P

The 60w fireball also hung with my old boogie mark IV in the mix as well.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
bdof

Engl Fireball 100 is pretty great for the price
bdof is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: