Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
OmarIsmail

I have no confidence, I've gotten worse since yesterday :/

Hey people, I am really frustrated with guitar at the moment and need some advice. So, Yesterday I was learning Green Day's Good Riddance
and was pretty good at it until the night when all of a sudden I sucked at picking. And it was the same again this morning,
my right hand muscles are strained and my picking is all over the place and I keep hitting the wrong strings. ARGGH, I"VE GOTTEN WORSE SINCE YESTERDAY!
Is this because I strained my muscles? Does that affect my picking. Since I strained my muscles should I just clear my head
and let the hand rest for a few days and come back and be better? ALSO, Is it because I stopped guitar for 6 months and came
back to it 2 days ago?

ARGGHH I'M SO FRUSTRATED, PLEASE SOME ADVICE?

Also, If I do take a break, is there any picking excercises to practice? Thanks, gosh im fed up with this :/
OmarIsmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

try masturbating left-handed for 3 hours straight.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Learning or even returning to an instrument is not a linear learning process. Calm down, take your time, and don't pressure yourself to learn at a particular pace.

Hell- even pros forget how to play stuff. I was watching a documentary about the events leading up to a major band's world tour. They hadn't played together for a few years- solo projects and all that- and had also hired some additional musicians to play parts that were done in the studio by recording multiple tracks.

The drummer was having fits because he kept screwing up the stuff HE made famous.

At another point, one of the hired guitarists was taliking directly to the documentary's director: he pointed out that he knew the solos to certain songs better than the guy who wrote them because he had been playing them for nearly as long (this was not his first tour with the band), and hadn't been doing much else besides covering the band's music while they were all doing side projects. He said the only reason he wasn't playing the solos on the tour was because the guy who wrote them wanted to play them...

So, if pros can forget their own stuff, you should be able to forgive yourself for not nailing it in the first few tries.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
try masturbating left-handed for 3 hours straight.
No problem here, said the left hander..... But why do I have to stop so soon?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 09-01-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #5
triface
Drenched in Syrup

When you're feeling fed up, just put your guitar down and go do something else. Come back some time later. You need a break. It's never good to rage at a hobby.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

when you're burned out, don't practice - just play something you know and find fun. play with songs, play by yourself, but play for enjoyment, not for improvement.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by triface
When you're feeling fed up, just put your guitar down and go do something else. Come back some time later. You need a break. It's never good to rage at a hobby.

Exactly. You DO NOT want to be this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DbUPjEbIvA&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vms_6_TSQuc&sns=em

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Dreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
when you're burned out, don't practice - just play something you know and find fun. play with songs, play by yourself, but play for enjoyment, not for improvement.

Exactly. If your frustrated why are you doing it? It's not work.

Time will fix everything so your main objective should be to keep playing period, practice or for fun no matter, just keep doing something.
Dreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
guitar_guyz

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake

This is right on the money! Take a deep breath and walk away for a bit. It's amazing how many times I will be incredibly frustrated with some lick or chord progression and after walking away for a bit, I can come back and be much more successful.

Also, I find that the occasional marathon practice session is ok, but trying to pull off several in a row leads to burn out in a hurry.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
jimwitt21

Breathe mate.

You can't always be on form.
jimwitt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
MoreThanGuitar

Not sure I follow; did you strain the muscles in your right hand playing or doing something else?

If there's no actual damage, just tension and frustration, then try practicing more slowly. A lot of people always try to play at tempo and get frustrated. If you slow it down and walk through the motions you'll learn it in less time with less frustration.
MoreThanGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: