Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

Ibanez RG821

Im starting to get kinda bored of my Fender Blacktop Strat and im debating selling it. I thought at first it would be pretty versatile but i later found that it only really does one thing well and thats classic rock which really my thing (I prefer to play stuff by bands like August Burns Red, Lamb of god, Parkway Drive, Killswitch Engage, Periphery, Veil of Maya etc). Sure it can do high gain and stuff but its pretty bad at it. Ive been looking into buying an Ibanez RG821 as ive seen them online for around 420 (lol) which is pretty cheap compared to the 550 price tag that they get on alot of sites. Does anyone have any experience with them or have any of you heard anything about them?

link -http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page12.php?area_id=2&data_id=196&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=1&series_id=72

inb4 buy a new amp - Its not worth saying this, i wont be able to get one until late next year and tbh i can get some alright tones out of that piece of shit i call an amp.

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
leigh596 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

can you stretch to the 550? cos if so i think dolphin music (think that's the one) had a 1451 for that in the after christmas sale. might be worth considering. or not. I've actually heard the MIJ Ibanez quality has dropped a bit in recent years, but i haven't tried any recently (or the 1451).

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

I probably could but id have to save for a while for one, like a couple of months. I dont know if im just being picky but i prefer the look of the 821 solely because it doesnt have a pickguard haha, im really not a fan of pickguards, especially on RG's, i suppose if it meant having a guitar as good as that i could put up with it or take it off! The other thing pulling me towards the 821 is the new bridge thats kinda like the evertune, it looks pretty cool

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Soccerguy
Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh596
I probably could but id have to save for a while for one, like a couple of months. I dont know if im just being picky but i prefer the look of the 821 solely because it doesnt have a pickguard haha, im really not a fan of pickguards, especially on RG's, i suppose if it meant having a guitar as good as that i could put up with it or take it off! The other thing pulling me towards the 821 is the new bridge thats kinda like the evertune, it looks pretty cool

You wouldn't want to take the pickguard off, unless you wanted all your electronics to just hang loosely...
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
can you stretch to the 550? cos if so i think dolphin music (think that's the one) had a 1451 for that in the after christmas sale. might be worth considering. or not. I've actually heard the MIJ Ibanez quality has dropped a bit in recent years, but i haven't tried any recently (or the 1451).

Yeah I've got a 1451, it's a good guitar but not quite what I'd expect for a Prestige. Still one of the best guitars in the price range IMO, although I'd still like to swap out the pickups (as is sadly the case with a lot Ibanez guitars.)

The problem is once you've dropped 150 - 200 on a great set of pups you could've spent that money on a more expensive guitar.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

I didnt know they were attached to the pickguard on them haha i thought they were in a cavity in the back!

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

I dont have a job yet so when i want an extra 150/200 then i have to wait until christmas/birthday, i might not even get a new guitar, im just kinda looking for ideas right now, i dont think id go for the 1451 though, its atleast an extra 100 which would leave me saving for a while and the 821 sounds pretty good stock from what ive heard

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

I'm failing to see how the strat is the problem when you are playing through a Spider.
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
ChucklesMginty
\_(ツ)_/

I would personally get your Vypyr Tube first, the blacktop is a good guitar.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar

It doesnt suit my needs though, im playing metal through amp sims on my computer and its not cutting it, the vintage tremolo is a piece of shit too. I hardly play through my amp, i only really use the line in for music, thats it.

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
300/700
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
Yeah I've got a 1451, it's a good guitar but not quite what I'd expect for a Prestige. Still one of the best guitars in the price range IMO, although I'd still like to swap out the pickups (as is sadly the case with a lot Ibanez guitars.)

The problem is once you've dropped 150 - 200 on a great set of pups you could've spent that money on a more expensive guitar.

ah right, i haven't tried them. thanks for the info. that's a very good point about the pickups, too- at 700 or so you probably have other options (I got my NOS charvel and rg3270 for 700, lol- granted, "right place right time" kind of one-off deals, but deals do come around every so often if you're patient).

i remember i loved the rga121 but that's a fair while back. it's been discontinued for a good while.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: