Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-09-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
GoodSaintsman

Picking Out a Bass Cab...

I've got a crown xls1000 and a MXR M80 DI box, so naturally I now need a bass cabinet. I'm new to bass and was wondering what are the best cabinet options for a $500-600 price range, preferably 6x10 or above, and I'm willing to go used. Guitar Center occasionally has used Ampeg 8x10s on their website, would those be a good investment?
GoodSaintsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
chatterbox272

If you're willing to lug around a fridge and like the tone they produce then it's definitely a good investment. I personally would choose 4 2x10" or 2 4x10" over an 8x10" because I wouldn't want to lug the thing around, and the varying combinations allow you to adjust to the size of a gig (e.g. playing with acoustics, bring 1 2x10". playing with two half stacks, bring all 4 and stack them)
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
Ziphoblat
Crimpity

These days it's just not worth carrying around big heavy fridges with all the lightweight neodynium stuff on the market. Look at the GK Neo line for your sort of budget. Saves you a lot of hassle and sounds just as good. The only point when (imo) you can really justify an 8x10 is when you're paying somebody else to carry the thing around for you.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
anarkee
oh the horror!

There's a reason they are nicknamed a fridge. They are about as easy to transport and weigh as much. I agree--go for two 4x10s unless you get a really dedicated roadie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
John Swift

A lot of the mythology flowing around massive speaker systems omits the reason that they emerged, which is, when 8x10s and previously 4x12 were born the speakers available were of very low wattage handling compared to todays.
The speakers in the original 60s 4x12s would only be capable of handling 25 watts each hence twin stacks.
Jim Marshal's first attempt was an 8x12 monster which had to be cut down.
The blue 12" Celestions in the Vox AC30 were only rated at 15 watts each.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Yeah man, don't bother with a 6 or 8x10. Get yourself a 4x10. What you want to look at is the sensitivity of the cab, which is how many decibels it can produce at 1 W of power. Look for one with a high sensitivity and it will probably be at least as loud as an old-school 8x10.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Yeah man, don't bother with a 6 or 8x10. Get yourself a 4x10. What you want to look at is the sensitivity of the cab, which is how many decibels it can produce at 1 W of power. Look for one with a high sensitivity and it will probably be at least as loud as an old-school 8x10.

As long as it's not the old '1 Watt @ 1Khz @ 1 Metre' which was a con as no bass plays at 1Khz.
Ideally look for a graph chart response.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 03-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
GoodSaintsman

Thanks for the help guys, I'll go with a 4x10, and add on later if I desire to do so. That said, are the ampeg svt series cabs worth the money if I can get one used? I'm not too sure of any other brands that fit my price range.
GoodSaintsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #9
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
As long as it's not the old '1 Watt @ 1Khz @ 1 Metre' which was a con as no bass plays at 1Khz.
Ideally look for a graph chart response.

Wut? my bass produces frequencies in excess of 3kHz, let alone 1kHz. The fundamental isn't that high no (low E is ~42Hz) but there's a lot more to a note than the fundamental, hell a guitar's low E is ~84Hz but you wouldn't say they sound anywhere close to that low if you were to listen to an 84Hz sine wave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSaintsman
Thanks for the help guys, I'll go with a 4x10, and add on later if I desire to do so. That said, are the ampeg svt series cabs worth the money if I can get one used? I'm not too sure of any other brands that fit my price range.

If you want the "SVT" tone then those cabs are worth investing in, otherwise probably not. They colour your sound immensely so if you like that sound then great but if you don't it's hard to get rid of it.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Wut? my bass produces frequencies in excess of 3kHz, let alone 1kHz. The fundamental isn't that high no (low E is ~42Hz) but there's a lot more to a note than the fundamental, hell a guitar's low E is ~84Hz but you wouldn't say they sound anywhere close to that low if you were to listen to an 84Hz sine wave.

If you want the "SVT" tone then those cabs are worth investing in, otherwise probably not. They colour your sound immensely so if you like that sound then great but if you don't it's hard to get rid of it.

You seem to be missing the point I've made which is, the highest fundamental on my G&L bass is 336hz so rating the efficiency of a speaker at 1 watt @ 1khz @ 1 metre is of little use regarding Bass guitar frequency reproduction.
This method went out the window in the late 70s when people wised up causing manufacturers to start printing performance graphs instead of the old useless method.
For the record I was using HF units in my bass cabs way back in the 70s, long before it became standard in many of todays units.
The HF units certainly add tone colour but the fundamental is where the foundation is and therefore that is where most of the efficiency is needed and not at 1khz
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 03-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272

3 kHz is good for the clicky-clicky-clicky stuff, but really, you need the 100-500 Hz range for your bass to be properly heard.

Rate This Thread: