Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Two completely different technique-related questions

Alright, so I have two completely different questions. The first one is rather simple and the 2nd one is driving me insane.

1) When I bend a full step on the E string (High e), I mute the B string with my fingertips, but the G string tends to ring out from time to time. It's bothering me so I'd like to hear some good ways to mute that string with my picking hand. I've tried muting it with my thumb and my palm, but it mostly results in me killing the note I'm trying to bend. What are good ways to mute the G string when full step bending the high E?

2) This is a sweeping-related question. For some time now, I've been practicing Marty Friedman's solo (:read: masterpiece) in Megadeth's Lucretia. I've got it down for the most (on a certain speed, that is) but the tiny sweeping section is driving me insane.
Code:
e|---/14----10-------------------10-14/17p14--------------| B|-------12------12------------12-----------15------------| G|-7----------11------11-----11---------------14\11-------| D|-----------------12------12--------------------------12-| A|-----------------------14-------------------------14----| E|--------------------------------------------------------|

The problem is not so much the actual sweep. It's not the muting. It's not the fingering or the finger-rolling or anything. It's the sweeping motion. Well, it's 50% of the sweeping motion. You see, I have no trouble with descending sweeps. I find my descending sweeps to be pretty fluent, even and clean. It's the ascending sweep motion. Whenever I try to ascend, it sounds like shit.

It's not so much the sync between hands. When I do both the ascending and descending sweep by hammering a la strict legato (picking hand rested on the first couple of frets, for those who don't know), it sounds completely fine. So I'm 99% sure that the problem lies within the actual motion. The thing is, when I ascend in a sweeping motion, my picking hand doesn't feel fluent. It feels like I get stuck on every single string like they are some sort of obstacles. No fluent, "woosh!" sweep motion whatsoever. I've tried angling the pick and whatnot, but no results. Also, I've been experimenting with my picking hand placement, but again, no results.

Ofcourse it could be just the lack of practice. That'd be kinda possible, taken the fact that that solo has alot of short descending sweep patterns. Maybe my descending sweeps got way more attention and hard work than my ascending sweeps. But I don't want to give up so easily.

I'd much rather have the magic bullet that will grant me a short term solution for this issue, as cheap as that may sound! So I beg you people, enlighten me!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Guys, I am dissapoint.
edit: Seriously dissapointed.
edit2:

Last edited by My Last Words : 04-30-2013 at 07:10 PM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
monkey801

I find if I'm having trouble with a sweep that it helps to play in the dark, like pitch black, for a while. Maybe try that and see if it works for you.
monkey801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey801
I find if I'm having trouble with a sweep that it helps to play in the dark, like pitch black, for a while. Maybe try that and see if it works for you.

Well, it's not so much the sweep shape or the fingering like I said, but more the motion itself. I might shoot a quick video to show what I mean, this is rather hard to explain..
Old 05-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Geldin

That ascending shape would be a little awkward for me. Personally, I'd try this shape:
Code:
e||--------10-14/17p14--------------| B||------12-----------15------------| G||----11---------------14\11-------| D||9h12--------------------------12-| A||---------------------------14----| E||---------------------------------|

That might make the ascending sweep feel a little more natural.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
That ascending shape would be a little awkward for me. Personally, I'd try this shape:
Code:
e||--------10-14/17p14--------------| B||------12-----------15------------| G||----11---------------14\11-------| D||9h12--------------------------12-| A||---------------------------14----| E||---------------------------------|

That might make the ascending sweep feel a little more natural.

Could be, but it's not really the shape that's bugging me. I have trouble executing pretty much every ascending sweep shape, while the descending ones are a piece of cake.

Like I said in my post, when I hammer-on the entire sweep it sounds fluid, but as soon as I try to sweep the actual pick it sounds uneven. But yeah, I might shoot a video, that'll clear things up (hopefully).
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
cdgraves

slow down and use a metronome.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
1) When I bend a full step on the E string (High e), I mute the B string with my fingertips, but the G string tends to ring out from time to time. It's bothering me so I'd like to hear some good ways to mute that string with my picking hand. I've tried muting it with my thumb and my palm, but it mostly results in me killing the note I'm trying to bend. What are good ways to mute the G string when full step bending the high E?

Use the first finger to mute as many strings as possible, then bend the high E with your 2nd and 3rd fingers, sorted.

Quote:
The thing is, when I ascend in a sweeping motion, my picking hand doesn't feel fluent. It feels like I get stuck on every single string like they are some sort of obstacles. No fluent, "woosh!" sweep motion whatsoever. I've tried angling the pick and whatnot, but no results. Also, I've been experimenting with my picking hand placement, but again, no results.

Personally I like to imagine it's the weight of the arm doing the work, that makes me get the right kinda vibe. Another thing is that if you know it's the motion, isolate it. Just mute the strings and sweep them to a metronome.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Personally I like to imagine it's the weight of the arm doing the work, that makes me get the right kinda vibe. Another thing is that if you know it's the motion, isolate it. Just mute the strings and sweep them to a metronome.

Fair enough, I guess

Rate This Thread: