Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-31-2014, 07:55 PM   #1581
Bleed Away
th.

It still kills me how inactive this place is compared to its glory days (2008 - 2011). This place is like my second home.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #1582
Ganoosh
big gay celadon crocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Away
It still kills me how inactive this place is compared to its glory days (2008 - 2011). This place is like my second home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish
OK, so I think maybe folks would like to read something Carmel sent to me late last year. Post your thoughts about it.

That sounds brilliant and I'm sad that you all never did it.

Last edited by Ganoosh : 09-04-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Ganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:08 AM   #1583
sammeldrum
Banned

The music here explained is really useful in all aspects,so try to give more details also.
sammeldrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #1584
cardprints28

i have found a really good ebook that helps alot with lyrics and songwriting, it worked for me
http://reliablefiles.com/file/0XmT8 you just got to fillout a survey to get it.
cardprints28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #1585
Jammydude44
Bad Santa

I still think you should get shot of the two sub forums and run monthly contests through the main forum as a sticky, and also open up the rules to allow lyric writing discussion. Like, yeah.
Jammydude44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #1586
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

yeah that'd probably make sense. the subforums were a better ideas when there was a lot of traffic. it makes sense to simplify now that's there's not and maybe it can shore up the foundations a bit.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #1587
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...

Hi all.

Have no idea why I've stumbled back here. Wish I didn't in all honesty, it's depressing.

However, while I am here I'll add something. Personally the lack of traffic won't be fixed by anything other than the people that use the forum, I remember when I first started writing and wanted to post my work somewhere, I searched around a lot of places, and any that were empty or devoid of meaningful critique I left and never looked back; that is what is happening here. A revamp of the forum, in my eyes, won't make much difference, the only change will be made by the people using the forum. Think of it like a restaurant, there's 2 next to each other, one has a lonely couple eating and the other has plenty of people eating, what one when you stop and think about it would you go into? You would think sheep, and go to the 'popular' one as all those people can't be wrong.

The people that are here and do post, need to put some more effort in, and then others will join. As much as I love the idea of individual stickies to an outsider that's daunting, plus all those with stickies will be more interested in their own than anyone elses.

When I frequented the forum I put my heart and soul into S+L and went way and above the crit for crit rule and so did so many others, although intimidating, most of the regulars were welcoming and informative. That just seems to have been lost. I would rather 2-3 lines of opinion on my peice than none at all.

Bye all.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #1588
jiminizzle
Lost Pilot

Thanks for the lucid thoughts steve. Hope you are well in your life, wherever you are.

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
jiminizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #1589
Ganoosh
big gay celadon crocodile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurt Within

The people that are here and do post, need to put some more effort in, and then others will join. As much as I love the idea of individual stickies to an outsider that's daunting, plus all those with stickies will be more interested in their own than anyone elses.

When I frequented the forum I put my heart and soul into S+L and went way and above the crit for crit rule and so did so many others, although intimidating, most of the regulars were welcoming and informative. That just seems to have been lost. I would rather 2-3 lines of opinion on my peice than none at all.

This is good.

What made this place stale, I think, is that critique got transformed into some kind of business transaction instead of just a discussion of lyrics and poetry. I get that the purpose of posting one's work on here is wanting to improve and get help, but I think an equally important thing to remember is that people post here because they want their work to be seen and get some kind of attention, and the simple fact of that attention is just as encouraging and important as getting "useful" critique.

I don't want to downplay the importance of detailed criticism, but at some point this place stopped being a community of people who enjoyed talking about writing. Everybody who wants to see this community get better should keep in mind that as much as people posting here want objective help, chances are they also want someone to talk to. At some point the definition of feedback here needs to be broadened a little bit or this place will never be meaningful again. The acquaintances and friends that everybody has made here will have been the last ones they ever made at S&L.

I challenge you all to go to the front page, find the first post with 0 comments, and post a critique. It will probably take you ten minutes. You can talk about mechanics or specific word choices or whatever, but more importantly just give your general impression and *respond* in a personal way to the writing that you read. Say some good things. If you can't find good things, make it a stretch. It shouldn't be a chore, it can be a way for you to express yourself and further develop your own ideas about writing at the same time as giving somebody else some feedback on their work. That's the kind of thing that builds communities.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #1590
The Hurt Within
Preserving the name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganoosh
I challenge you all to go to the front page, find the first post with 0 comments, and post a critique. It will probably take you ten minutes. You can talk about mechanics or specific word choices or whatever, but more importantly just give your general impression and *respond* in a personal way to the writing that you read. Say some good things. If you can't find good things, make it a stretch. It shouldn't be a chore, it can be a way for you to express yourself and further develop your own ideas about writing at the same time as giving somebody else some feedback on their work. That's the kind of thing that builds communities.

This is exactly what S+L needs, no gimmicks, no bull shit, just responses on everyones work. Within a week this place would be buzzing if everyone done that.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #1591
Eccer
Serial Lurker

I'd say, lets do it!!
Eccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:36 AM   #1592
less than that
make the clocks move

C4c?

for those of you who said you'd be interested in hearing my lyrics put to music- I started work on recording an album, if you get in touch with me pm or otherwise I'd be more than happy to fill you in
less than that is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #1593
Thomasoman
#frizzlefrazzle

I think not being able to bump my posts is a shame, but thats just because I'm butthurt about virtually everything I post in S+L sinking to the bottom with no..sparks. sigh...a lament to my poor sensitive soul
Old 05-16-2015, 10:25 PM   #1594
剣 斧 血
Pimp, apparently...

It happens, we've all become lazy potatoes in regards to responding.
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
剣 斧 血 is offline   Reply With Quote