Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Ghostly Summer Days (post-djent? I guess) (GP5, GP4, TG)

The TG version has all the reverb settings nicely done.

I'd kind of describe this piece as post-djent? Massive build up and ending and stuff. Quite relaxing tbh.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Slo-djent.zip (3.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: gp5 Slo-djent.gp5 (130.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: gp4 Slo-djent.gp4 (66.4 KB, 29 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Bar 29 - YES. YOU USED IT. HAHAHA!! I'm excited now.

UGHH BAR 49 AGAIN. I love that shit. I'm surprised you managed to make the 15/16 - 4/4 polymeter work so well. Felt really natural.

Not sure how I feel about this triplet part yet... It was pretty sudden. I think I woulda found it pretty cool if I hadn't seen the triplets beforehand and went, "Hmm, I wonder how that's gonna sound." It ruined the surprise. Cool part, though. Not looking at the guitar pro file for the rest of it.

Starting to sound a little weird, ethereal, there are some weird key changes in the clean lead. I like it.

This is the outro?! Aw I wanted the bar 29 riff back. But it's alright, I guess... Just use it in another song!

Anyways, yeah, this is pretty cool for what it is. Couldn't find anything that needs changing... Actually, the arpeggios in 81-84, something sounds a little off in the harmonies. Not that notes are out-of-key, but I think you could probably get a more pleasant sound out of them. But yeah. Awesome.

What was the name of the other file that had the bar 29 riff?

EDIT: Now I'm listening to ermergurd. Some of these riffs, man... You might be becoming one of my favorite composers on UG. There's something similar about our music (besides the obvious fusiony chord progressions and weird time sigs). Something about the intensity and emotion in the riffs.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time

Last edited by RedDeath9 : 08-03-2013 at 05:07 PM.
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

I'm afraid I don't have time to give a full critique but that piece was great. Although to extend on what RedDeath9 said, I think it would be awesome if you did use that riff and then superimposed the chug rhythm that you've used throughout the piece and do the old VI-IV-V progression that Iron Maiden love to use so much. Still a very enjoyable piece but I think if you did that then it would be to this piece what Gohan did to beat Cell (ascend to the next level). That would truly be awesome.

Cheers for the great piece once again.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
Zaqq

I like the clean guitar in the intro, and the riff at Bar 29. Bars 53-91 were pretty cool. But everything else was too repetitive. I don't like the distorted riff, which starts at 13 and which is re-used more times. It's juts sounds bland. Overall, not bad.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
amonamarthmetal

bar 29 was a polymeter? I've been using polymeter without even knowing then.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Guitar0player
UG's derby Spike

That was a brilliant song, great build up.

I loved how it kept surprising me all the time and the moment with the triplets was the best.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

i was wondering why this was so good, but then i saw that it was by epiexplorer lol. i definitely digged this a lot man!

what all i didnt like: i get that it was supposed to be slow, but it felt too slow at times; it kind of dragged on a bit. the rhythm was pretty damn basic most of the time. also, that triplet part was a little too sudden

thats it lol

what all i did like: after i turned the reverb up on the clean guitar, it sounded phenomenal. same with the goblins after i turned their volume up a little. though the triplet part was a little too sudden, once it had kicked in, it sounded good. really weird chord progressions, kinda like something dream theater would do. most importantly, the leads before the triplet part were immaculate, though the leads through the triplet part were great too

all in all, another treasure by epiexplorer
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Well, cheers so far guys, glad to know the song is going a good direction at least. I am working on a new version that's been very very revised and I might need some help with it if anyone's willing.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

btw epiexplorer, how did you come up with that custom tuning of yours? its brilliant!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAWNlol
btw epiexplorer, how did you come up with that custom tuning of yours? its brilliant!

I messed around one day I was tuning my guitar to D standard cuz I wanted to learn a riff or two, then I heard another riff I wanted to try, which was in Drop A# so I started tuning down the lower strings. It made this really sexy open chord and made a sort of double octave of power chords so I'd thought I'd try it out for a while Its had some variations thrown around, like keeping the high strings F A D but having the lower ones A E A which made it very minor-y but harder to compose on. This current A# F A# F A D tuning is actually good for trying animals as leaders style sweep picking riffs on.

Quote:
Eip pls
Old 08-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

well, it works really well man! kinda reminds me of Karnivool, where they have their guitars set to half dropped B, half E standard (B F# B G B e). it really rekindles my desire to make my own custom tuning
Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #12
SoulShredder

**** yea, that was so awesome. Sorry thats all I got lol.
Ill chase you through eternity"
SoulShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAWNlol
well, it works really well man! kinda reminds me of Karnivool, where they have their guitars set to half dropped B, half E standard (B F# B G B e). it really rekindles my desire to make my own custom tuning

Basically that. I've tried some stuff with ADADGAD; it's a good compromise between low metvl chuggachugga and more Irish folk-y chord/drone+melody combinations. I'm debating bringing the lowest D up to an E, though...
Old 08-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
|_JR_|
Something awkward.

Nice. This is exactly the sort of stuff that turned me into djent in the first place, combinations of melody, ambience with a heavy foundation. Not necessarily the overly technical mathy stuff that Periphery or AAL usually do although I love them.

All criticism I can give is that maaaybe you could have done more with this. You have a 15/16 bridge that you use to introduce the "chorus", which itself ends up being just a natural, more powerful extension of the main idea. That's fine, but I guess to me that bridge is begging for a more dramatic mood change, maybe a heavy interlude, something like that.

That and you could improve the transition into the triplets section by doing a little ralentando beforehand. Lovely modulations on that part though.

Anyway. Really nice stuff. If I'm thinking about extensions to your song is because I like it.

old myspace
|_JR_| is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: