Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
progdude93
Banned

Advice for a new nut

So the nut on my alvarez acoustic broke, and I found out that it was never actually glued in place (it was fitted just right). I obviously need to replace the nut, but I've never done that before, so I'm not sure what kind of nut I should get.

Halp?
progdude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Bikewer

Usually, nuts are not glued in place. String tension is sufficient to hold them in place. Best to have the replacement done by a technician... The action height must be set correctly and the nut-slots filed to match the string diameter....You need special tools.

Materials? Bone is kind of the standard... Very hard, strings don't "stick" as you tune the guitar. Artificial bone materials like "Tusq" are fine too.
The replacement shouldn't cost you very much.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
progdude93
Banned

Should I buy the nut and then bring it to a tech? I have little faith that my local tech would rather use quality parts than cheaper shit so he can upcharge the shit out of me.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
ryanbwags

Has he done that to other people? Maybe you need to find a more reputable tech, then. He should use whatever you request. He's working for you.
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

if you have little faith in your local tech, i'd strongly suggest finding a new one. i personally have had local guys who did poor jobs with things like this, leaving my guitar poorly intonated and in need of help from another tech or luthier. also if the local guy messes up, you'll have spent money to get a new nut from someone like bob colosi, and you'll have to buy another one.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
progdude93
Banned

I have no idea how to find a new tech. I doubt there are many in my area. I'd honestly rather do it myself if it's something a tech is likely to **** up.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Bikewer

I've made a lot of nuts from scratch using doggy bones, a hacksaw, a sanding drum, a Dremel, and a "torch-tip tool" to cut the nut slots.
However.. That's for my cigar-box guitars. They work quite well.
I dunno if I'd do one for my Taylor.... But if I lived "out" somewhere I wouldn't hesitate.
You can buy a blank easily enough... Stewmac has a variety.
Chances are the blank will be pretty close in size so that a bit of judicious sanding will fit it exactly.
You must take care that the base is exactly square.. You need a sanding block at least.

You can find detailed instructions for measuring string height and such on the Frets.com site.

Ideally, the string slots should be made with a proper set of nut files. These are graduated, rounded-edge files that correspond to string diameters.
The slot must match the diameter and profile of the string, and be cut at a sufficient angle to provide the proper amount of "break" over the nut.... So your strings don't rattle.

Again, the Frets.com site has a lot of information on this.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

a good tech isn't likely to mess it up, a poor one - well, like i said, i've had a couple screw up intonation. to find luthiers and guitar techs in your area, you could try google or yelp or ask at some local guitar stores.

if your guitar is a stock alavrez, maybe alvarez can sell you a new nut ready to drop in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progdude93
I have no idea how to find a new tech. I doubt there are many in my area. I'd honestly rather do it myself if it's something a tech is likely to **** up.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: