Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
celitus
Baroque and roll

Setting a Band Image

Hey

So I recently just undertook my first photoshoot to get promoshots for a newspaper article coming up about my music, and it made me think about setting an image for my band for the first time in terms of presentation of musicians, not just artwork.

I perform symphonic metal so we tried to avoid the cliches of forest backdrops and grave yards typically associated with bands with any gothic influence and instead went for a classical meets rock approach which can be found here http://www.gatexiii.co.uk/reviews-i...phics-09-01-13/

I was just wondering what kind of music you all play and if you put much thought into your band image as a whole and if so, how do you try to achieve it?
celitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
beast121

It looks really good man, although if I was to take away one thing it would be the headphones but that's just my opinion.
beast121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I perform Symphonic Metal, too, the first thing I wanna say is cut your guitar strings, that annoys me more than anything, seeing wires hanging off the headstock, and if you want to get away from cliche, I'd recommend doing some colour photography, other than it, it looked alright, other than the headphones on the piano.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Andragon
You're in deep treble now

Agreed about the headphones. Biggest thing is consistency. You want to have an identity. The classical theme in b/w should be a staple if you go through with it.

EDIT: Adding to what Celestial said, you can definitely have you and the guitar remain in colour while the rest of the environment is in b/w.

Band image really depends on what you want out of your band. It's virtually necessary if your goal is to attract label/promotion attention.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.

Last edited by Andragon : 01-13-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Andragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

A lot of things will ask specifically for a B+W photo promo.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
StageMasters

The image for a band is everything!!
This is called branding. Serious bands spend a lot of time with their band mates to discuss what message they want to project towards the audience, what their band is about, what's the personality of the band as a whole etc... The image of the band has to sweat all these elements out so that each time someone sees you, this person will never forget you!!

StageMasters
StageMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
FistOfMichallin

Which one are the pictures taken for? You or the guitar? Tame that beast! lol

Just sayin'. I think the best picture anyone can take is a least conscious one, where it's just, you. Kind of... 'what you see is what you get'.

I know it's silly in some cases, but i think the best photos of artists are of them without their instrument. Feels more sincere, and if people know you play the guitar, and especially if you're a musician, they just need your face.

Could take photos on your home street, too. I mean, i'd do that. Then people would think, "this guy, who makes -this- music, comes from -that- place?"

Then again, what do i know? I'm not a photographer... :')

If you just show it like it is, there's no possible way you could be cliche in any case.

Last edited by FistOfMichallin : 02-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Onechordbassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by StageMasters
The image for a band is everything!!
This is called branding. Serious bands spend a lot of time with their band mates to discuss what message they want to project towards the audience, what their band is about, what's the personality of the band as a whole etc... The image of the band has to sweat all these elements out so that each time someone sees you, this person will never forget you!!

StageMasters

So...?

Well I see what this leads to when I look at my own band. Whenever politics come up we spend a good chunk of pre-rehearsal time smashing each others's heads because of disagreement

Sabotageing the low end in hexen stehen immer zwischen birken.

Windrammer style: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6NMsWx7t30
Onechordbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
Green St

Your idea is good but not Metal...Loose the headphones, the glasses and buy a leather jacket then do the photoshooting again.
Also you should consider changing the name of the band. The name you use is used by the fans of a Greek Football Team (Panathinaikos) and their name is GATE 13. This is established from 1966. More info here: http://gate13.gr/ Perhaps in the future you'll face legal problems.
Its like calling your band ICF (for english standards) if you know what i mean. Only this is more formal.
I don't want to be misunderstood i am only trying to help you by pointing out what i don;t like.
Good luck with your music.
Green St is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: