Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
danyal92

using both guitar polish and wax

im kinda savvy about cleaning my guitar. i have the formula 65 guitar polish. i was wondering if i get the formula 65 wax and apply that after the polish, would that be any good?
danyal92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

The wax requires you to clean your guitar with Formula 65 cleaner before applying the wax. I use that same Dunlop Carnauba wax on my guitar every other maintenance, which is about 4-5 months. Makes it really shiny! I highly recommend it.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It depends on the guitar and what sort of finish it has. Polyester, polyurethane, nitrocellulose, oil, French polish, other shellac finishes, waxes and other finishes all require different treatment. It's usually very straight forward, you just need to make sure you know what finish you're working with, double-check that the bottle of [substance] you're using says it is okay for that type of finish, and follow the instructions on the bottle.

Dunlop's products are formulated mostly for the two poly finishes.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
danyal92

i have an ibanez rg370 dx. i think it shud work
Old 02-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
MrFlibble

Yup, that's a polyester finish. Those are as tough as you can get, so you can use almost anything on them; just make sure you keep all products away from the metal, bare wood and plastic parts, such as the fretboard, bridge and pickups.

Do the cleaner first, then the wax or polish compound. Since your guitar's finish is such a thick, glossy one, you shouldn't need much of either; go slow and use a very small amount at first.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
danyal92

how would you reccommend i clean the bridge?
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
MrFlibble

I would recommend that you don't. Your guitar has a vibrato, and you have ot be very, very careful when cleaning those. It's too easy to gunk up the knife edges or saddles, stopping the guitar from staying in tune. You can use almost any basic, household metal polish on them, but to do a proper job of it you'll need to take the bridge off, take the saddless of the base plate and clean it very, very carefully; make sure to use a clean, inkless microfibre cloth.

Rate This Thread: