Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Lord_Westwood

Modding a strat I am looking to buy?

I am looking to buy a strat and everyone I look at seems to not be to my specification, the closest I have found is this one:

but I would want a heavier sounding bridge pickup, but rather than change the scratchplate I would want to get a single pickup thats quite heavy like a humbucker? I know that it would never 100% sound as heavy as a humbucker.

The pickup I keep hearing about is the Seymour Duncan SHR-1N Hot Rail but I have no experiance with single pickups.

My question is what pickup would be good to put in the bridge of this strat?

I have a Blackstar HT-1R combo.

Edit: I would also like to change the strings from a set of 9's to a set of 10's.

Last edited by Lord_Westwood : 01-05-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added info
Lord_Westwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

That would be fine, but remember that the guitar has SC pickups and therefor has 250k pots. You will want to change them out for 500k to get the best out of a HB. You will also need to change the .47uf cap to a .022uf cap for the HB.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

You don't 'need' to change the cap. The cap value simply alters how much treble will be rolled off at particular points on the tone control. If, like many Strats, your bridge pickup isn't connected to a tone control, or if you simply always leave your tone control on full, the cap value becomes irrelevant.

The pot value does matter, but only if the bridge pickup is connected to a tone control. If it only uses the volume pot then it's better to keep it as 250k. The two single coil pickups also use the same pot, so you may not wish to alter their sound by changing to a 500k pot, and one 250k pot effects the tone in roughly the same way as two 500k pots would (which is the standard set up for most humbuckers).

So, basically, the best thing to do is to simply install the pickup first and see how that sounds. If you think it needs to be a little brighter then you can think about disconnecting the tone control or changing the value of the volume pot. But chances are the stock controls will be fine.

As for the pickup, there are lots of single-size humbuckers that sound just like a 'full' humbucker. In fact, if 'heavy' is what you want, an example I'd point to is the SD Hot Rails in one of my Telecasters. It creates more output than an EMG 81 active humbucker, with much more of an emphasis on the bass, too. DiMarzio Super Distortion S and Tone Zone S would also be good options. The Super Distortion is the brightest of the three, the Hot Rails is in the middle and the Tone Zone is the the darkest, although all three of them do have a very thick tone.

One thing you need to pay close attention to with these pickups is how close to the strings you set them. They have very high output and very strong magnetic pull, so it's better to set them a bit further from the strings than you would with most pickups. Having them very close to the strings can sorten sustain or even pull strings out of tune, not to mention make the tone very muddy.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
The pot value does matter, but only if the bridge pickup is connected to a tone control. If it only uses the volume pot then it's better to keep it as 250k. The two single coil pickups also use the same pot, so you may not wish to alter their sound by changing to a 500k pot, and one 250k pot effects the tone in roughly the same way as two 500k pots would (which is the standard set up for most humbuckers).

The volume pot does affect the humbucker. I would advise changing the volume to a 500k. It's possible to roll a 500k pot down to 250k, but it's not possible to roll a 250k pot up to 500k. And using a 250k pot with a humbucker is definitely not ideal, imo.

And as said before, if the bridge is connected to it's own tone control, then changing that pot to a 500k pot is a great idea, and changing the cap to .22 is also strongly recommended(but not really required).
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
LeviMan_2001

I'd say the volume pot is not that big of a deal. Many gibsons came factory with 300k volumes and humbuckers. Besides, he's going for a darker sound anyhow.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
thebestjoe

Listen to everything MrFlibble said.

Cap is all preference, and pots (IMO) are too.

The other option if you don't want to be limited to selecting from SC sized 'buckers is to look for a HSS strat with the same spec.

Also, in my experience with a Hot Rails in middle position, I honestly could not tell a difference between that and a bridge position humbucker, and even if you can, no one that will listen to you will ever know the difference.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E

Last edited by thebestjoe : 01-05-2013 at 11:38 PM.
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
I'd say the volume pot is not that big of a deal. Many gibsons came factory with 300k volumes and humbuckers. Besides, he's going for a darker sound anyhow.

I've always felt the 300k pots in some of the Gibbies were hindering the pickups. But then again, I play metal, so that might affect my preference.

And when did he say he wanted a dark tone?
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

that's a great looking strat there......if you have the $$$ maybe look at the bareknuckle sinner set. sadly I don't think you can buy just the bridge pick up
sytharnia1560 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytharnia1560
that's a great looking strat there......if you have the $$$ maybe look at the bareknuckle sinner set. sadly I don't think you can buy just the bridge pick up

BKP are way overpriced for what you get. Duncan and Dimarzio are just as good and cost less than half. $75ish for Duncan/Dimarzio $190 for a BKP
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: