Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
garrettkirby

Little help buying a bass? :P

So, my girlfriend wants a bass guitar, something good for gigging and playing great heavy rock/metal; things like Megadeth, Metallica, etc. Me being the Electric Guitar guy, and having never played a bass, I thought it might be best to just ask here. I'd prefer if it was somewhat cheap and not overly pricy, as I'd like to also buy a backup amplifier for myself in the near future.

Thanks in advanced!
garrettkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=737491

^ Sticky at the top of this page.

Alternatively, if you want more specific advice, you're going to need to provide a hell of a lot more information than that:

1) Desired sound/tones?
2) Specific budget?
3) Is an amp needed as well? (no, you can't just use a guitar amp).
Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
willop

Ibanez 200 is decent and $100 gets you a used one. A 300 is better for gigging/hard use and will run double that used.

For practice a 100w bass amp will do but to play with a drummer you'll need 300w. You can play your guitar thruough a bass amp and if that's the idea consider one with 10" speakers.

I've heard you can use 'keyboard' amps for bass and they also have tweeters in them so that may work for your guitar too. But I'm sure they're not gonna be ideal.
willop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by willop
For practice a 100w bass amp will do but to play with a drummer you'll need 300w. You can play your guitar thruough a bass amp and if that's the idea consider one with 10" speakers.

I've heard you can use 'keyboard' amps for bass and they also have tweeters in them so that may work for your guitar too. But I'm sure they're not gonna be ideal.

100W will do with a drummer too. I have a Fender Rumble 350 (370W 2x10" combo) and to keep up with a drummer and guitarist I have to turn it to ~3 with the -6dB pad on.
10" speakers are the standard on bass, but 10" vs 15" won't make any real difference no matter what you play through it.

Some keyboard amps can handle it, others can't. But seeing as you can get bass amps with tweeters too I wouldn't risk it.

TS without a budget we aren't gonna be much help, but I'm going to say a Squier VM Jazz or Precision, an Ibanez SR300, or a Yamaha RBX270 or RBX374 and whatever amp you can afford over 100W.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
food1010
Bassist

Yeah 100w is plenty for keeping up with a drummer, unless your drummer is Lou Ferrigno.

Rate This Thread: