Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
Flevi

Playing in public

I want to get better at playing in public by taking my six string cigar box guitar to high school, but I don't want to come off as an attention *****. Any tips?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

don't
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Flevi

Please elaborate
Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

you're inherently going to look like an asshole

i wish every poor sap at my old high school had asked somebody if they'd look douchey bringing an instrument to school to make people listen to

cause it's invariably a "yes"

in fact, when i brought a banjo up for a shitty speech, it was accepted because there were 6 guys in the lobby at any given time with an acoustic guitar and people would forgive someone playing anything that wasn't a fucking guitar.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Bazz22

Yeah, I gotta agree with Hail. High School is already filled with enough attention *****s as is. While you personally may not be doing it for the attention, people won't care. Just, go busk on the streets (if it's legal where you live), that's a much better choice, and you might even earn a few bucks if you're half-decent.
Bazz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
a0kalittlema0n

Definately do not do that. Someone did that at my highschool, and it was outrageously obnoxious and everyone hated it. He was amazing though....

Go busk or play at an open mic night or something. Anything but bring your guitar to HS.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
calnix

Yea...that's just asking to look like a dbag. If you live near a city you can try throwing on some old, grimey clothes and busking on a corner. I did that here in New Orleans one time and made $40 in an hour and a half.

Also, open mic/jam nights at bars and taverns are good, but I dunno if you're old enough to get into one if you're still in high school.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Interesting. I was thinking about taking a guitar to practice in my spare time in college (UK) since I find myself either walking around looking for friends i'll never find or sitting down pretending to study like I have something to do.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flevi
I want to get better at playing in public by taking my six string cigar box guitar to high school, but I don't want to come off as an attention *****. Any tips?

Don't be an attention *****. It's really that simple, isn't it?

I mean, look, if you're really doing it for yourself, that's fine. Do it. enjoy it. And don't give a rat's-ass if someone mistakenly thinks you're doing it for attention or not.

You will get a lot farther in life if you don't let the risk of other people's faulty assumptions stop you from doing what you want to do.

And heck, if you are doing it for attention, you wouldn't be the first, then freakin' own it. Nothing wrong with it unless you're obnoxious about it.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Flevi

The busking idea sounds interesting but do buskers have to be really good? Or could you just sit there and play chords for an hour
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flevi
The busking idea sounds interesting but do buskers have to be really good? Or could you just sit there and play chords for an hour

you should check the busking website for recommendations

on your resume to apply to be a busker, you should optimally have 1-3 years of experience in a busking environment and multiple recommendations from prior conservatory directors who think you are the most talented musician in the entire world

also you need to be able to play wonderwall
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Nero Galon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail

also you need to be able to play wonderwall

LMFAO so true XD
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #13
gunsnroses#1
Banned

I used to bring my guitar to school. Looking back I realize that I was a douche now that I see people doing it in college.

Also,
There was this one guy who brought his electric guitar to school and never played it, he would just open the case every now and then to show it off. Don't do that either, in a way it seems even more douchy to do that.
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #14
TheHydra

Maybe see if you can play your guitar in the band room in your spare time?
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
D..W..

Kinda curious, what exactly makes it a douchey thing to do, just the having a guitar at school or playing it in front of everyone outside of band room (the second part I can understand. The first part I'm wondering since I used to take mine for a class when I was there, lol)?

Also, bringing a guitar to school just to play in front of people is kind of like a forced performance. Just go hang out outside somewhere and play, at a park or something. You can take a couple friends and you'll look less like you're doing it to show off and more like you're just having fun, too, if you're worried about that.

You don't have to be amazing to busk, you just have to sound good. Can you sing? Can you play something that's entertaining without singing (fingerstyle perhaps?) If you want money you just have to be pleasant to listen too.
D..W.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
Nero Galon

Make sure every song you play has a G chord or any G variation too :P
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #17
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist

just busk and do open mic nights. check with your local government about the legality of busking. sometimes you need a license. but i suppose if you're just on the sidewalk in the city or a park playing, they can't hassle you if you're not asking for money.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
TheHydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by primusfan
just busk and do open mic nights. check with your local government about the legality of busking. sometimes you need a license. but i suppose if you're just on the sidewalk in the city or a park playing, they can't hassle you if you're not asking for money.

I'd be careful. I've known people to get harassed for public performance even if they weren't asking for money. You have to know your area.
TheHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
20Tigers

Just do it.

Rate This Thread: