Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Consummatus

Hi there UG!

Hey guys, just signed up. I'm a young guitar player with a lot to learn. I know how to play chord progressions and I can pick some easy tunes but I'm wondering where to go next. Any tips would be great!
-----------------------------------------
Les Paul Epiphone Special II
Alvarez AD-60S
Consummatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
RickyThomson

Hi. I'm no expert, but from personal experience, if you don't know where to go next try learning something above your ability. Browse through some tabs of bands you like, and try picking a song that you know you can't play without alot of practice.

Important thing is to to learn songs that you enjoy listening to. Don't make guitar playing a chore!
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
shiggityswah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyThomson
Hi. I'm no expert, but from personal experience, if you don't know where to go next try learning something above your ability.

This, can't stress it enough. If you don't push your limits (not only with guitar, with every aspect of your life) you're going to stagnate. Now that doesn't mean going and learning a Vai shred piece immediately, just push what you're capable of a little bit each time you learn something. The only thing to be wary of is to make sure your foundations are strong, you don't want to learn bad habits. Practise slowly and keep it clean, speed comes later.

That's about the best advice I have to offer. Other than that, learn as much musical theory as you can. It's boring initially, but it's worth it and I regret not doing it when I was younger because now I'm leagues behind where I should be when you compare my playing ability (which still isn't amazing either) to my musical understanding.

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
shiggityswah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
This...

@shiggityswah...You've been sigged.

@Thread Starter (TS)...Oh, hey TS, welcome to UG. Careful what you say because we often "sig" each other here.

Last edited by jetwash69 : 02-21-2013 at 01:41 AM.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 AM   #5
Obsceneairwaves
A'int no prohpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consummatus
Hey guys, just signed up. I'm a young guitar player with a lot to learn. I know how to play chord progressions and I can pick some easy tunes but I'm wondering where to go next. Any tips would be great!
-----------------------------------------
Les Paul Epiphone Special II
Alvarez AD-60S

I remember a time like this, Then I found UG
just kidding it's a pretty cool site

and Just do whatever interests you man! there's a ton of really great lessons on here! On the main pages' search bar if you click the button that says 'tabs' and go down to lessons, you can search pretty much any guitar skill(e.g. Theory, progressions, alternate picking ect.) and there should be plenty of helpful advice

oh and in the top left corner of the forums(a bit down from the top top) just above the post reply/create new thread there's a button called control panel, If you click that you can go to 'Edit Signature' and put your gear in you sig so you don't have to type it out like that
Old 02-21-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
shiggityswah

[QUOTE=jetwash69]@shiggityswah...You've been sigged.

Thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank my parents and the school system for making me a cynical shithead.
shiggityswah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 AM   #7
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggityswah
[QUOTE=jetwash69]@shiggityswah...You've been sigged.

Thank you, thank you. I'd like to thank my parents and the school system for making me a cynical shithead.

Anytime, brother.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: