Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Jaredmkl
UG's That one guy

Need a cab, maybe pedals?

So I'm new to bass. Im a guitar player playing bass in a touring band. I just Ordered my Ibanez SR600, and my band gave me a G&k 700-rbII to use.
But I need a cab for it.

I was looking at an Ampeg Classic 6x10 but it's 600watt cab but, My head is 480wats.

I know in Guitar you can get away with having a head under the cabs wattage, I've heard in bass you can't so I'm guessing I'd be under powering it to much and damage my gear?
Could I get away with just the 500watt 4x10? My band uses 120wat tube half stacks.

Also besides a tuner, do I really need any pedals. Everyone says the sansamp pedal is needed in metal, but I pretty much use a clean tone so far. I like the sound of Nolly's darkglass pedal but it's like $400 haha. Some one else told me I need a good compressor as well.

So please help me out and voice your opinions on cabs and pedals?

I don't really have a budge, but Im not trying to blow to much on it all.

I can link our music if it helps.
LTD:SCT607B
Fender:MIM Silverburst Tele
Line6:Pod HD500X
Ovation:EliteT1778
Jaredmkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Having a lower wattage head is how it is suppose to be. otherwise you could run the risk of over powering the cab which can damage it. So that cab will work fine with that head wattage. In terms of pedals the tthose tech 21 pedals are great in terms of bag for your buck. If you like them definitely get one and its always good to have a option for a DI.
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Yes, the Head is supposed to be same or less power than what your cab can handle. So no problem about that. A compressor is nice to even out your playing, particularly if your just starting. It's also needed for playing slap tones, and it can be really helpful for tapping too. I'd get a sansamp only if you're not satisfied with the tone delivered by your amp and/or if you need a DI.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

You'll be just fine with that cabinet. You've got a versatile amplifier there, so you should be able to arrange a number of different setups to suit your needs. I suggest you consult the owner's manual for that amp. It can make some things easier:

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf

As stated, a compressor is often a good choice. Most bassists don't use effects other than a compressor, though others have enormous pedal boards that rival a guitarist's board. So while you don't necessarily need any pedals, you should try a few out and see if they're for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: