Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
PetrucciIsAGod

Can't improve myself

Been playing for 3.5 years now, first 2 years were OK after that, there was no improvement other than playing clearer or I don't know something like that.

I feel stuck and I am in a great need of improving my technique,I basically have every single technique yet I haven't mastered them all
Can you guys post me the hardest, toughest most interesting and great lessons or I don't know some kind technqiue tab.

My worst part is (I am left handed)
My left hand (picking) is alot slower then my right hand
If I speed up too much I start to pick off my arm, not my wrist

Basically screw everything

Give me the hardest practices you ever encountered
PetrucciIsAGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Shor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrucciIsAGod

Patience.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Well now you're just being silly

What makes you think that "the hardest practices ever encountered" is a sensible, practical way to address your problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Well now you're just being silly

What makes you think that "the hardest practices ever encountered" is a sensible, practical way to address your problem?

This.

If we give you a huge list of difficult things to play, it will be useless if you don't practice them properly. That's your biggest problem. Go back. Play to a metronome. Work on accuracy and synchronizing your hands.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
PetrucciIsAGod

I can't sychronize my hands after certain speeds I can't also I don't have any idea how to increase my sychrnozation
I can play what you give correctly
what i meant by hardest practice ever encountered was:
Give me something to improve myself
My biggest imrpovements were
The day I started playing Dream Theater
The day I learned how to sweep
like this

Last edited by PetrucciIsAGod : 08-25-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
steven seagull
not really a seagull

There isn't a "what" that will solve your issues

The answer is "how"

You don't need people to tell you what to play or practice, you need to change your mindset and approach things differently

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
raredesign

Quote:
Been playing for 3.5 years now, first 2 years were OK after that, there was no improvement other than playing clearer or I don't know something like that.

I feel stuck and I am in a great need of improving my technique,I basically have every single technique yet I haven't mastered them all
Can you guys post me the hardest, toughest most interesting and great lessons or I don't know some kind technqiue tab.

My worst part is (I am left handed)
My left hand (picking) is alot slower then my right hand
If I speed up too much I start to pick off my arm, not my wrist

Basically screw everything

I couldn't really gather much from your post to make a helpful comment, but are you only looking for speed? I just wasn't sure if our responses should be about hand conditioning or chops.
I don't understand what you are referring to when you mention technique in the way you did.

There are many exercises for your fingers that given time will permit you to have better accuracy and speed. Just always make sure your hands are stretched, warmed up, and limber and don't rush the speed at the expense of accuracy.
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
PetrucciIsAGod

How, seriously how
It'd be easier if I knew whats the problem with my mindset...
ofc I dont want people to tell me what to practice I just want to see what did you guys did to improve
I've been feeling stuck on the same level for 1.5 years so its frustrating
I need to get better
I need to supress everyone
this is my mindset
by everyone I don't aim to become a guitar god just supressing people who once looked down on me , lel.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
PetrucciIsAGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by raredesign
I couldn't really gather much from your post to make a helpful comment, but are you only looking for speed? I just wasn't sure if our responses should be about hand conditioning or chops.
I don't understand what you are referring to when you mention technique in the way you did.

There are many exercises for your fingers that given time will permit you to have better accuracy and speed. Just always make sure your hands are stretched, warmed up, and limber and don't rush the speed at the expense of accuracy.

I'm not just looking for speed , Im looking to imrpove my overall
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
raredesign

To be honest, I think you would be most happy interviewing some guitar instructors and then working with the one you like best. Do you not have many options where you live? I hope it is not against forum rules, but my instructor does remote lessons either via skype or recorded video.
Check out Matt Quistorf on Youtube and if you like his free stuff, hit him up for a lesson. He will put your fingers through bootcamp if that is what you want.
raredesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
ghobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by raredesign
To be honest, I think you would be most happy interviewing some guitar instructors and then working with the one you like best. Do you not have many options where you live? I hope it is not against forum rules, but my instructor does remote lessons either via skype or recorded video.
Check out Matt Quistorf on Youtube and if you like his free stuff, hit him up for a lesson. He will put your fingers through bootcamp if that is what you want.

This makes sense, a good instructor or teacher can assess your technique and correct/change it for what you want to do.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
PetrucciIsAGod

I have no time for lessons this year , I had a great instructor before he made me who I am but for various reasons I wont be able to take lessons from him until next summer
So I looking for ways to practice solo until I can go take lessons next year
Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
yet I haven't mastered them all

And you never will.

Quote:
Give me something to improve myself
My biggest imrpovements were
The day I started playing Dream Theater
The day I learned how to sweep
like this

The problem here is that you don't need to learn more things, there's nothing we can directly teach you that will get you past these issues. What you need is to learn to do the things you already can but better; smaller movements, less tension in your body.

To do this you don't need specific exercises, you need to change the way you practice from being focused on sitting with a metronome and pushing up the bpm to staying slow and at a pace where you can really control what you're doing; by doing this you reprogram your muscle memory with the improved technique. Also in the same vein you need to keep doing this, because it's not something you can practice until you get it; it's something you work at constantly and your playing very gradually gets better as you continue to do it.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
janarumo

Get Petrucci's Rock Discipline so you can play at world domination mode (~5 billion or so)
janarumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #15
Dreamdancer11

Get a good teacher mate...since you dont know how to improve or how to go from here you need guidance.Even the "hardest practises ever encountered" without the right mindset and guidance ll be useless.You need one to put your through the wringer,to practise the things you avoid to practise,to learn the things that are too time consuming to learn and to challenge you to the very end .
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
Blicer

Quote:
I can't sychronize my hands after certain speeds I can't also I don't have any idea how to increase my sychrnozation
I can play what you give correctly

lul wut

Quote:

ignoring the silly bit. USE A METRONOME. k. If you want to make things harder on yourself just play a scale over and over and over and over and over until you can play at the maximum tempo 4 perfect notes a click. Then buy a new metronome.

Rate This Thread: