User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #1
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Improving concentration

Hey folks,

I am working on Civil War by G N'R. I find I can play the Izzy part in the beginning flawlessly or pretty darn close the first time through. Then when it repeats it is flub-tastic and even worse the third time through. I think it is a concentration issue.

Will this improve over time with practice?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
dannydawiz
Danny Gomez

It has nothing to do with concentration. You simply need to practice it more slowly enough so that it becomes subconscious to the point that its a 99.9% chance that you will hit the right note.
dannydawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
I think it is a concentration issue.

Will this improve over time with practice?

If all else fails, there's always Adderall, Ritalin, and a few others......

Save the meth and/or coke until after your first platinum album.....

(I better throw in a disclaimer)

DISCLAIMER: Do not self medicate. Consult your physician, and/ or road manager about the suitability of theses medicines for you, and any possible side effects. And since everyone reacts differently to these medications, your hit song writing results may vary.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 03-27-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydawiz
It has nothing to do with concentration. You simply need to practice it more slowly enough so that it becomes subconscious to the point that its a 99.9% chance that you will hit the right note.

Which I can do the first time, not sure why I can't the second time when it sixths exact sane sequence....
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
m33sta

muscle strength, just repeat that over and over again to a metronome.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33sta
muscle strength, just repeat that over and over again to a metronome.

Ok... Not sure how this helps. My hands/arm don't get tired.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
Livingtime

I think he means muscle memory. Just keep playing until you don't even need to think about what you're playing it will just come naturally, of course make sure you're playing right. If you keep a bad habit for a long time it can become VERY hard to break.
Livingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtime
I think he means muscle memory. Just keep playing until you don't even need to think about what you're playing it will just come naturally, of course make sure you're playing right. If you keep a bad habit for a long time it can become VERY hard to break.

Which I get, as I can do it the first time through perfect. Or do you all mean the second time through has to be learned independent of the first?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Anon17

It's possible that you're slowly tensing up more and more as you play, causing it to become much harder to play the passage properly after a few runs.

It's also possible that you haven't practiced the passage enough (or slow enough) to get it into your muscle memory, so you will randomly screw up.

It could probably be other things too - Check your technique as you're playing, maybe record yourself, and figure out what changes from your first good run to your second not so good run. Once you've found the problem you can practice the passage slowly again with the goal of removing the problem, and this should get you back on track.

If all else fails, you'll probably be able to just practice slowly (with good technique, remember relaxation and economy of motion) and eventually get it down, but I'd recommend trying to find the problem so you're more aware of it in case it happens again (especially if it's tension).
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
Shor

What others have said, this simply sounds like you haven't nailed the part yet.
Play with a metronome and play it over and over again until you're at a point where you wont make any mistakes.
Be honest with yourself, and make sure you're playing it perfectly....if you're not...just lower the tempo on your metronome.

I agree with above advise about recording yourself as well so you can see and actually hear what you're doing.
I'll add that you should record yourself with nothing but a metronome click (or a good backing track, so your playing doesn't get too muddied up along with the recorded track).

Perhaps your first run through isn't as flawless as you think either. It is very hard to analyze while you're playing, especially if you're playing to recorded music.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

I've done the recording thing. First time through, perfect. Second time random mistakes. It's hOnestly not the same mistake twice. Oh well, will keep at it. Thanks
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10

Last edited by Shadowofravenwo : 03-27-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Anon17

Something has just occurred to me actually, if it's a passage that's close to your limits you might find that you simply can't play at that speed for enough time to make the passage correctly on the second run.

If so, the answer is yet again to keep practicing it and make sure your playing is relaxed etc...
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17
Something has just occurred to me actually, if it's a passage that's close to your limits you might find that you simply can't play at that speed for enough time to make the passage correctly on the second run.

If so, the answer is yet again to keep practicing it and make sure your playing is relaxed etc...

Yes, it is the most complicated piece that I can play accurately and not glacier slow. That would explain a lot.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
cdgraves

If you can do it once you can do it twice. It's easy to psych yourself out and "jinx" your playing. In the moments before you play it the second time, think about how it starts, where it comes in rhythmically, etc. Get your mind off of technique and on to the music itself.

Also trying singing the melody with the recording. It'll expose anything you're missing rhythmically, and keep more of your attention focused on the melody.

Last edited by cdgraves : 03-27-2013 at 04:24 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #15
m33sta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingtime

You are correct, I meant memory, but I also believe part of the process in attaining muscle memory is also building up strength/stamina. If you practice 1000 times it goes hand in hand that your stamina will also increase.
m33sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33sta
You are correct, I meant memory, but I also believe part of the process in attaining muscle memory is also building up strength/stamina. If you practice 1000 times it goes hand in hand that your stamina will also increase.

I see what you are a saying. Makes sense in that light.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #17
QPC_Sam

What are you thinking of when you play through the piece?
Are you thinking the same thoughts the second time as the first, or has your mind wondered?

Those seem to be the obvious quesitons if it's a matter of concentration.
If you want to improve concentration, then start practicing it. Every time your mind wonders to something distracting, stop and start again.

That's not the way to perform, mind you. You need to be able to carry on on auto-pilot because it's not possible to avoid distractions for ever. So you might even practice that. What distractions can you entertain without interupting your playing?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

YEah, that's it. I can't focus to the same degree for the second and third playing because I find it so challenging and it requires so much of my focus. I'm wondering if that will improve with time.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10

Rate This Thread: