Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #10121
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
I'm going to add that you're going to want to switch one string at a time to reduce the chance of
Additional setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
jj1565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 PM   #10122
viennasunsetb

Wire cutters are useful on those sharp end bits...
viennasunsetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #10123
Matt Chavie
aspiring breakdancer...

So I should be setting my guitar up in what order? I'm thinking it's truss rod, action, then intonation?
Matt Chavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:59 AM   #10124
SanDune65

Question on a Ibanez GRX70, I just started playing so I might already be over my head here. I love everything about the guitar, but it seems the action is super duper high, you could get a stack of dimes in between the strings and the last few frets. I did some youtube on lowering the action, and then getting everything back in tune, strings nice a low, so much easier. But notice that the saddles are not all perfectly lined up after intonation, and I have created a buzz on the 12th fret, last string. Like I said I'm a rookie so bare with me, also the Ibanez did not come with a user manual so I'm also in the process of learning what certain parts are called. I also did an intro in the new member section. So I guess my question is, did I possibly set the strings too low, and I assume the saddles not being perfectly lined up with the next one is not a big deal.
SanDune65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #10125
Cpratt24

Hey Jenny, I have a es335 copy and the action is very high. The bridge is already at the lowest and the truss rod doesn't need adjustment, I don't think. Measured at the 12th fret, the action is just under 3/8ths of an inch. I'm not too sure what else to do and I don't want to jack up my guitar. Any suggestions?
Cpratt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #10126
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Location: NewYork ............................... Hot Chick guitahh playah ~~teh sexay
Hey, I know you said it's a copy but it's a set neck right? Just checking.
In case we can work with the neck angle.

You can check the action at the nut. And maybe consider lighter gauge strings too.

Quote:
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:42 PM   #10127
Cpratt24

Yeah, set neck. And I'm using Ernie Ball 10's. Would shaving the nut help change the action towards the bridge? After doing some reading around, would tightening up my neck lower the action? I was thinking that there might be too much relief in my neck. But, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #10128
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Before you mess with the nut you'll want to measure the neck relief.
Fret the first fret low E.
At the same time fret -~19th where neck and body meet.

With both places held check the middle frets.
How many picks if any fit between the fretwire and the string there

Quote:

Old 02-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #10129
Cpratt24

No picks fit between the string and the fret wire. It looks like the string is as close to touching the fret wire without actually touching it.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #10130
jj1565
Officially Knighted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpratt24
No picks fit between the string and the fret wire. It looks like the string is as close to touching the fret wire without actually touching it.

sorry didn't see that you posted back.
Honestly, I was hoping you would say that there was too much room.
that could happen if the action is too high.
You don't have a of room there, so it feels like it's something else.

did you adjust the stop tail bar at all?
i'm guessing you mean you lowered the TOM as much as you could already.
sometimes if the stop tail is at a bad angle it can pull at the strings.

also, because the tail shouldn't make too much of a difference, except for string tension, you can also check the height of the strings coming off the nut as they enter the board.

to do that, you fret the Low E at the 3rd fret.
with that held you should notice that the string hovers a hair over the 1st fret.
It's close to see but you can tell if you tap the string and hear it's making contact.
hopefully you'll find that the string is way Above the first fret, then we can adjust the nut.

Quote:

Last edited by jj1565 : 02-11-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #10131
Cpratt24

I have a Trapeze tail piece and I did make a tiny adjustment. My TOM is lowered as far as it will go. My string height is actually really good at the nut. I really don't know what else I could try.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #10132
jj1565
Officially Knighted

I would try lighter strings, swapping one at a time.
or maybe look for a lower profile replacement bridge?
lighter strings might cause some fret buzz, it's hard to say.

it could be the way the neck was originally set.
not sure.

Quote:

Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #10133
Andrew Plumer

Very Helpful thanks!
Andrew Plumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #10134
Cpratt24

Thanks! Also, I have a trapeze tail piece would it change things if I changed it to a regular stop tail piece? or does that not really play into anything?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #10135
t_w2

If you have a floating tremlo set up on a stratocaster is there ever a danger of breaking the bridge (see picture). I ask this becasuse when I use the whammy the metal bridge part appears to bend itself quite alot. Is this normal or just an illusion? How does the mechanism actually work?
Attached Images

t_w2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #10136
joseph24

I used my guitar without any new setup from the factory and the guitar is getting fret buzz even when i'm in Drop D I still got fret buzz on all of the strings (mostly 5th and 6th string)
which way should I turn the truss rod and what tool should I use.
Thank you
joseph24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:00 PM   #10137
Coloneltreavy

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4...iew?usp=sharing

Can anyone help me with this? I am not sure what is causing this because it worked fine like a week or two ago. If it's string height, I tried tightening it as Ibanez manual says so but I can't tighten it further with the allen wrench. Length is 2 mm on 8th fret on Low E. High E is also the same. I did try adjusting the neck now through truss rod adjustment but I am scared to an extent. I tried both sides but that ringing sound doesn't go away. Any way to remove that ringing sound?

Any help is appreciated.
Coloneltreavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #10138
MasterStohner

I've got a lot of buzz when I'm anywhere near by Compaq FS740 (oldie CRT monitor) and using only a single pickup on my JT-300. Degaussing causes a massive spike in noise followed by a slight temporary decrease, so I'm almost certain it's a magnetic field issue. There's also some cross-interference with my cell phone, but that's unrelated.

So, is there any way I can reduce or eliminate this noise without turning off my monitor or using multiple pickups?
Demonstration: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1j230qrKuYT

Order of events:
Switch starts in 4th/bridge+mid position
Switch moved to 5th/bridge position
Switch moved through 4th/bridge+mid position very briefly
Switch moved to 3rd/mid position
Switch moved through 2nd/mid+neck position very briefly
Switch moved to 1st/neck position
Monitor degaussed
Monitor turned off
Monitor turned on
Switch moved to 2nd/mid+neck position
-end

4 note riff first in 2nd position and then in first, at same level as the noise recording:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1GODjBHfsYC

Sort-of tangential

Last edited by MasterStohner : 04-01-2016 at 09:19 PM.
MasterStohner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #10139
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

Hi guys, hoping for a little help with an Ibanez RG1570 that I recently bought. Every time I come to play the guitar, it's gone out of tune and every time I divebomb at all, it goes out of tune. I've heard nothing but good things about the Edge Pro trem, but mine needs some tweaking perhaps. If I've divebombed, the G-string tends to go very sharp while the rest go flat, and no amount of wiggling the bar puts them back in tune (I've heard that can work with some trems). If it's been left on a stand overnight, it's all a few cents flat and it needs fully retuned (this only happens about half of the time). I've stretched the strings in a ridiculous amount but it still happens. The trem is flat against the body too so it seems correctly balanced, and there aren't any crazy shifts in temperature here. Please help, before I just go and buy a trem block
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #10140
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i'm pretty terrible at setups too but the info on the ibanez rules site is pretty good, or there's a sticky here about floyd rose trem setups.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: