Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM   #15461
Always-Ben

Hey, I'm meeting with a guy who's selling this: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/msg/5425633001.html

I emailed him but he appears to have no idea what the specs are. Anyone know where I can find specs, or already know, for a Les Paul Studio 2002?
Always-Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:16 AM   #15462
Roc8995

490/498 pickups, probably a 60s carve neck but they did come with the 50s carve too. Other than that, pretty standard LP specs. Anything in particular you wanted to know about?

Pretty nice flame on that one for a Studio. I wonder if it's the Plus Top or AAA Top or whatever they were calling that model in 2002.

Try something new

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:32 AM   #15463
Always-Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
490/498 pickups, probably a 60s carve neck but they did come with the 50s carve too. Other than that, pretty standard LP specs. Anything in particular you wanted to know about?

Pretty nice flame on that one for a Studio. I wonder if it's the Plus Top or AAA Top or whatever they were calling that model in 2002.

Yeah, the neck carve (I prefer 50s, thick as possible), and the pickups were what I was mainly looking for. I also heard that depending on the year, Studio bodies are thinner than Standard. This true?
Always-Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:47 AM   #15464
Roc8995

As with everything Gibson it's not quite as simple as yes or no. Studios have been thinner, but it depends on the year. 2002 I think might be a tad thinner than a Standard. They've messed around with the dimension a few times and I can never keep track of which years are which. It's varied from a quarter inch thinner to the same thickness (2" at the edge) with a few points in between.

IIRC they started out quite noticeably thinner (quarter inch for some 80s Studios) and then gradually the gap closed. Sometime in the early 2000s they went back to full thickness (or close to it) but I don't think it was as early as 2002. It might be, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't all uniform, either. Studio body thickness difference might have something to do with getting the last bodies at the bottom of the pile, or ones with a bit too much sanded off, or what have you. So even within the same year they may not be quite the same.

Keep in mind that LPs are hand sanded so even Standards vary somewhat. It's probably not something most people would notice or care about unless it's on the really thin end.

Try something new

Roc8995 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: