Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
bodommaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Baritone 26.5 B tuning string gauge

Hey everybody.

Sorry if this has been answered before, I searched for this question in the bar above but everybody seems interested in drop B tuning string gauge.

I have a 26.5 scaled Ibanez baritone rgd2120z. Now I'm interested what string gauge I should go for because I will tune to B standard.

LINK what do you guys think about the baritone 0.12 - 0.68 ? Would this be too thick? 0.68 sounds quite thick and how would 0.12 be for soloing? I hope it wouldn't be too thick for bending.

Right now I have 0.10 - 0.46 for D tuning and the tension is great.

I will play stuff like Amon Amarth, Unleashed, At the Gates, death'n roll and I will practice soloing with simple jam tracks.

Thanks for all the replies in advance, especially to those who have a B tuned baritone.
bodommaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
 
eddiehimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Slowly changing my identity, one day at a time
I'm using that gauge for A standard/drop G. That isn't to say it would be too thick for your guitar.
__________________
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
bodommaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
I'm using that gauge for A standard/drop G. That isn't to say it would be too thick for your guitar.


Yeah, but for baritones you can have lighter strings for a tuning than a standard neck guitar. Thats what concerns me, buying strings too thick.

Like I've said above, I have .10 - 0.46 for D tuning right now, which I think is quite light for such tuning and it plays great.
bodommaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
I have no experience with long scale guitars but it looks fine to me. The Low B string will be tight as heck due to longer scale, but thats desireable trait in my book.

But to be safe, take a look at D'Addarios Baritone Light set, 13-62. It was decent for B when I tried it, eenyweeny lighter than I'd like (just installed DR's 13-65 and its spot on) but on 26.5 it could be just perfect.

*edit* I forgot you wanted to solo. That 13 is great for 25.5 but for 26.5 I have no idea. So option number 2 would be D'Addario 12-60.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 04-10-2013 at 11:12 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
bodommaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
I have no experience with long scale guitars but it looks fine to me. The Low B string will be tight as heck due to longer scale, but thats desireable trait in my book.

But to be safe, take a look at D'Addarios Baritone Light set, 13-62. It was decent for B when I tried it, eenyweeny lighter than I'd like but on 26.5 it could be just perfect.


How long is your guitar's scale? And how did the lighters strings go for soloing, bending? Right now I'm thinking around 0.12 - something around 0.58 or less.
bodommaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodommaster
How long is your guitar's scale? And how did the lighters strings go for soloing, bending? Right now I'm thinking around 0.12 - something around 0.58 or less.


I edited my post, I forgot you wanted to solo and 13 could be bad for bends on longer scales. My guitar is 25.5 scale. Hence I recommend to take a look at 12-60 set instead.

I am basing this all in theory and looking at string tension calculator mind you.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Disturbed_EMG
UG's Howling Hawk
 
Disturbed_EMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somewhere nice
I bought an RGD7421 yesterday which still has the stock 10-56 and I have that in Drop A with no hassle, same scale length. A 68 would be way overboard I think.
I'm using a 60 on my 27" Agile for F# and that's not too bad, a 68 would be good for tuning around that low, but not a B. For my taste anyway
__________________


Ever wonder what happens when Ron Swanson meets 8 string guitar? I bet you're pretty curious now.
Disturbed_EMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
bodommaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
I edited my post, I forgot you wanted to solo and 13 could be bad for bends on longer scales. My guitar is 25.5 scale. Hence I recommend to take a look at 12-60 set instead.

I am basing this all in theory and looking at string tension calculator mind you.


Oh yeah sure I will.

Right now, I'm browsing through every forum about string gauges for baritone b tuned guitars, can't say I found much. I guess I'll just have to take a risk and buy a set, and see it myself how it works out. Even tho, I'm preety confident that 12-60 will suit my needs.
bodommaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
bodommaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed_EMG
I bought an RGD7421 yesterday which still has the stock 10-56 and I have that in Drop A with no hassle, same scale length. A 68 would be way overboard I think.
I'm using a 60 on my 27" Agile for F# and that's not too bad, a 68 would be good for tuning around that low, but not a B. For my taste anyway



Oh great, but do you think a string gauge for a tuning can differ between a 7-string and a 6?
bodommaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
reincarnator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I used to use a 68 on my RG7321, and found it a bit much for B. I think it would be monstrous on a baritone. Now using a 64 and it's just about right.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.