Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
katalyzt13

Problems recording bass with Toneport UX2

Okay, I am trying to record bass via a Toneport UX2, but I'm not using their emulation - just the input. I've tried mic'ing my amp and I've tried using an MXR M80 DI box. In both cases I'm getting horrible clipping unless I turn it down so low that all the tricks I know won't get the bass loud enough on the track I've recorded it to.

I've messed with the gain setting on the Line 6 to troubleshoot, but not much else yet. I'm going to have to dedicate a few hours to troubleshooting and what I already plan to try is make sure I'm using the legacy driver for the Toneport UX2, and try a different USB port for the Toneport UX2.

If I can't get it fixed I'm probably going to break down and get a Saffire Pro 14 (which I've planned to do already at some point, but it would push it up to a higher priority).

Does anybody know any other troubleshooting I should try or has anyone experienced this before?
katalyzt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

You don't need the DI box... the ux2 already takes instrument level output.

The DI box is turning it into Line Level which is way louder than the Instrument Input wants or needs... hence the clipping.

Get rid of the DI box and it'll work fine.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
katalyzt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
You don't need the DI box... the ux2 already takes instrument level output.

The DI box is turning it into Line Level which is way louder than the Instrument Input wants or needs... hence the clipping.

Get rid of the DI box and it'll work fine.

Well, it is doing it when I mic my amp, too - so that doesn't really explain it. Also, it is a balanced output going via xlr from the DI - I use the MXR M80 because of the preamp built in.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalyzt13
Well, it is doing it when I mic my amp, too - so that doesn't really explain it. Also, it is a balanced output going via xlr from the DI - I use the MXR M80 because of the preamp built in.

Plug the bass directly into the UX2 (instead of mic'ing the bass amp). Then, adjust the volume knob on the bass until it stops clipping.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
katalyzt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Plug the bass directly into the UX2 (instead of mic'ing the bass amp). Then, adjust the volume knob on the bass until it stops clipping.

Okay, that would still defeat the whole point of using the preamp from the amp or the DI box - that is what I'm trying to get around. I'm trying to avoid having to use VSTs to emulate a bass amp.

Want to make sure, because I think I didn't explain it well. I've tried 2 different configurations:

1. bass to DI to XLR input on TonePort UX2.

2. bass to Fender Bronco 40, mic'ed with Carvin's version of the SM57, ran from the mic to the XLR input on the TonePort UX2.

***If I plug directly from the bass to the TonePort UX2 then I'm going to have to use POD Farm or something to process the signal which is what I'm trying to avoid doing.

Last edited by katalyzt13 : 05-22-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
katalyzt13

I forgot to mention this started when I changed from windows xp to windows 7 - that might be important. I've always mic'ed amps before then with no problem.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Okay, that would still defeat the whole point of using the preamp from the amp or the DI box - that is what I'm trying to get around. I'm trying to avoid having to use VSTs to emulate a bass amp.

Want to make sure, because I think I didn't explain it well. I've tried 2 different configurations:

2. bass to Fender Bronco 40, mic'ed with Carvin's version of the SM57, ran from the mic to the XLR input on the TonePort UX2.

***If I plug directly from the bass to the TonePort UX2 then I'm going to have to use POD Farm or something to process the signal which is what I'm trying to avoid doing.

Why exactly do you want to reamp a bass guitar anyway? There's no need for it...

You completely circumvent the need to reamp a bass by simply sending your signal to both a clean track (with no effects besides maybe a parametric EQ) and another track (usually a grit track). Remove your external amp from the equation entirely.

Quote:
I forgot to mention this started when I changed from windows xp to windows 7 - that might be important. I've always mic'ed amps before then with no problem.
I doubt that's the issue.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-22-2013 at 11:15 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #8
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:

Why, exactly? Some of them sound great. I've had great results using the Ignite SHB-1 mixed in with some clean DI's.

But humour us, try the instrument in, see if it works. This is all part of trouble shooting. And you do know the UX2 XLR input has a pre-amp in it as well... the fact that you're running a pre-amp into a microphone pre-amp is probably what is causing the clipping.

If you REALLY want to use your DI box you'll need to use the Line In. Not the XLR in. Like I said, a DI box takes instrument level in and puts line level out.

The mic clipping is probably just a loudness issue. You need to adjust the input gain on the UX2 itself so that it doesn't clip.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 05-23-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
katalyzt13

Okay, I've tried the bass straight in before and it does not clip but I have to use VST amp emulation/cab emulation to make it sound decent. I'm trying to get the actual sound I would get playing in my practice area.

CrazySam, I'm not RE-amping - I'm not sure where you're getting that I am. I am doing either/or the DI as my amp or my mic'd amp as my amp.

I have tried to use the gain knob on the TonePort UX2, also.

I appreciate the advice, don't mean to come off like I'm being argumentative. I'm just really frustrated because my goal is to record the same sounds I can get in my practice area, which wouldn't include VSTs.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Assuming that you're plugging the microphone directly into the UX2 and then trying to mic the bass amp (which honestly wont work very well, ESPECIALLY not with an SM57, most bass recordings on albums are DI's) then it's going to be a case of it being too loud unless the unit is faulty.

And no offence... but the tone coming from the Fender Bronco can't be so much better than a good VST Amp... I mean it's not exactly known for being a killer tone factory. You'd probably get a lot more accomplished if you dropped this strange need for that exact tone.

You shouldn't need the Amp Sims to get a good tone either. Most of my tone comes from straight up DI with eq and compression. The Bass Amp VST just adds some character to it.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 05-23-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
If you REALLY want to use your DI box you'll need to use the Line In. Not the XLR in. Like I said, a DI box takes instrument level in and puts line level out.

No. No. No. No. No.

A DI takes a high impedance level and makes it MIC LEVEL, not line level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

So it does.

Then I was labouring under misinformation. I apologise.

It does call into question again as to why it's causing this guys input to clip. My only guess would be too hot an input from the DI box still, but for different reasons.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 05-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
katalyzt13

Again, I did all of this stuff before I upgraded my computer and moved from Windows XP to Windows 7...so wondering why everyone is discounting something to do with that causing the problems?

Nobody thinks it is potentially the driver or incompatibility with the USB 3.0 ports or anything like that?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

It's unlikely. Clipping isn't the sort of thing that'd be caused by software.

Assuming it is input clipping. Doesn't the UX2 have a VU meter on the front? If so, when you run anything through that, is it maxing out?

If so, then your signal is too hot. If not then we'll have to start looking at drivers and set ups.

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 05-23-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Rate This Thread: