Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #21
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimarzio45
I see exactly what you're saying, W4RP1G. I was more referring to a guitar that has already been setup properly from the factory. That, and the assumption that the guitar is not a cheapy and a complete waste of time to begin with lol. I really think that, in general, this is the kind of issue that can only be accurately diagnosed by seeing the guitar in person. Because, your solution, and mine, are both accurate but, more guitar-specific.

Let's also remember, he's talking about adjusting the truss rod every time he changes tunings. If you're like me, I change back and forth between tunings practically every other day. That would be hell on a neck (and body if we're talking acoustics- don't want that belly bubble lol).

I definitely don't disagree with you though. Like I said, It's a guitar specific situation. Could be the truss rod, the nut, the bridge or a little of all of the above....assuming it was poorly setup from the factory. In that case, you get what you pay for....as much as I hate that saying sometimes...lol

If wood was as fragile as you think it is they wouldn't use it to build houses.

Sorry fat friend you've been round twice already this year, your 300lbs of pressure is putting too much strain on my house. I need to give it time to settle, I'll see you once in 2015.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18

Sorry fat friend you've been round twice already this year, your 300lbs of pressure is putting too much strain on my house. I need to give it time to settle, I'll see you once in 2015.

That's SUCH an invalid comparison. A house is constructed of MANY different support designs. A guitar neck is A piece of wood with a rod in it. HUGE difference. I guess you've never constructed a house.

I'm done with this thread. The answers have been provided and you've proven that you haven't thoroughly read Antisun's ACTUAL question that began this thread.
Dimarzio45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18

Dude, seriously. Just no.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #24
thehikingdude

I moved the tone knob on my guitar. Should I adjust the truss rod?
thehikingdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
antisun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehikingdude
I moved the tone knob on my guitar. Should I adjust the truss rod?

yes, leaving the tone knob changed for any amount of time without giving the truss rod at least 5 full turns will cause your neck to warp.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
yes, leaving the tone knob changed for any amount of time without giving the truss rod at least 5 full turns will cause your neck to warp.

You're the one who asked the question. You want to bugger up your guitar? Fine by me, see if I care.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
antisun

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
You're the one who asked the question. You want to bugger up your guitar? Fine by me, see if I care.

So much hate in this thread. I'm not buggering up my guitar, the general consensus here is that adjusting the truss the way i suggested is a bad idea, therefore i'm going to refrain from doing so.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #28
thehikingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
So much hate in this thread. I'm not buggering up my guitar, the general consensus here is that adjusting the truss the way i suggested is a bad idea, therefore i'm going to refrain from doing so.

Excellent decision. I applaud you. So many here fall into the Adjust Your Truss Rod Trap.

Last edited by thehikingdude : 03-16-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
Archer250

Quote:
Excellent decision. I applaud you. So many here fall into the Adjust Your Truss Rod Trap.

At least 6 out of 10 guitarists have fallen into this trap and right into deep shit.
Maxon SM9 Pro+
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power ISO5
Dunlop Tortex Picks .88 and 1.00mm
Planet Waves Lock Strap
Archer250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #30
thehikingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer250
At least 6 out of 10 guitarists have fallen into this trap and right into deep shit.

Agreed. The biggest part of the problem as I see it is that there are a handful of people here that suggest adjusting the truss rod as the very first step to resolving a problem. I don't know if it's an effort to sound in the know or simply having no clue how much someone could fck up their guitar if they don't know what they are doing - hence my question about adjusting it if I change my tone knob.

In 41 years of playing guitar and owning dozens of guitars I have never once needed to adjust a truss rod.

Last edited by thehikingdude : 03-17-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #31
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Agreed. The biggest part of the problem as I see it is that there are a handful of people here that suggest adjusting the truss rod as the very first step to resolving a problem. I don't know if it's an effort to sound in the know or simply having no clue how much someone could fck up their guitar if they don't know what they are doing - hence my question about adjusting it if I change my tone knob.

In 41 years of playing guitar and owning dozens of guitars I have never once needed to adjust a truss rod.

There isn't a luthier I know who won't start a setup by checking the truss rod. But there is a difference between checking and setting a truss rod, and using it to adjust the action. A luthier or experienced tech will set the truss rod first, and then move on to adjusting the nut and bridge height. Someone else might adjust the truss rod to change their action.

If your guitars are kept in a pretty stable climate, and you don't change your string gauge and tuning, then there's a good chance you don't need to adjust that truss rod after it's setup. But if those things aren't true, then it would be hard to imagine many guitars not needing some sort of tweaking.

I think the most important thing here is to know how to do a proper adjustment, and to not do it too frequently.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
thehikingdude

Agreed. And there's also a big difference between a seasoned luthier and someone on this forum asking what to do to adjust their action. If you have to ask, then doing anything with the truss rod may not be the safest move IMO. Learning is definitely necessary, but simply experimenting without knowing how to go about it is just asking for trouble.

Rate This Thread: