Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #21
Dr_Hepplebeef
Doctor Hepplebeef

start slowly then increase. also, it's useful to practice with a metronome so your tempo doesn't change throughout the song.
Dr_Hepplebeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #22
Vintage1972

It's never too late, I have a friend who didn't take up guitar until his early 40s (he played other instruments previously) and now almost a decade later he is gigging regularly and teaching guitar part time. Having some natural ability is a big help but hard work pays off too.
Vintage1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #23
rodwilli

As others have said... never too late... I am in my early 40's and started playing a few months ago. I have a background in keyboard so the basics of music and chords etc i know but initially i found it daunting. Months on I can now confidently move accross several chord shapes and play along with a few songs.
Just be patient, put in the practice and it will happen... good luck.
rodwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #24
JimmySlort

I picked up a guitar for the first time 376 days ago and I turn 66 in a week and a half.. Never too late Dude!
JimmySlort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #25
Backtrackin'
Registered Guitar Addict

Hi Lucifer
Agree with everyone so far, it's never too late and at age 22, you have PLENTY of time !
You sound like you're going in all the right directions and there are so many online lessons on you tube, so much to learn.
Changing chords fast is just Finger Memory and it only comes with time and regular practise so just keep at it. Focus on feel and timing and accuracy will come in it's own time.
When you get it right, you will know it and it will pay you back in spades for all the work, sweat and practise.
I'm happy to offer any help I can be if you message me. I am self taught and still play by ear to this day. If you can learn to read music it will only help you a great deal but tabs are a good way of learning where things are played on the neck and after that it's just a case of plugging away at it until you hear the right sounds coming out of your amp.
Oh yeah and ALWAYS practise standing up unless you intend to perform sitting down on stage. There is a huge difference between sitting and standing and if you do all your learning sitting down, you will put the guitar strap over your neck, stand up and find it quite difficult to replicate what you've learned as your hands and arms are in totally different positions.
I see you like Joan Jett ? Try learning 'Hate myself for loving you'. It's a great song, not too difficult and will be quite satisfying when you get it right and can play along with the track.
Good luck and ask for help whenever you need to. Well done man.
Backtrackin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #26
guitar27frets

I've just started a blog aimed at people that have just taken up learning. I've got lessons on guitar technique and music theory that will be of great benefit to you. Here's a link if you're interested =)

27fretguitarlessons.blogspot.com
guitar27frets is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: