Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
PianoNinja18

Red face Buying a gibby explorer this month - stuff to watch out for?

Well, my birthday is this week, and Christmas just passed. So that means, combined with my savings, I will finally have enough for upgrading my guitar!

While I do have a Epiphone Les Paul (custom plus) this gibson will be my main guitar and my top guitar. I hear a lot of "gem" talk, the every 100 there's a gem guitar. What should I be watching for when I go test out one of these explorers?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, I'm just tight with my money, but dont mind dropping some cash for quality. I'm a piano player originally, so most of my focus has always gone into the PLAYING part and im usually a bit lost when it comes to hardware etc lol
PianoNinja18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
tomc2

Just take into consideration what you like in a guitar, and keep trying out as many as you can until you find one that fits you perfect. And don't buy the first thing you try, I think all of us have made that mistake at least once.
tomc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
PianoNinja18

True. i definitely think i want a gibson explorer, but it's hard to know what's just part of a guitar, and what's a defect in the guitar lol. Too bad this explorer is on of the only ones i can find locally to me. It's been the floor model for a while, I was contemplating them ordering me a new one, but maybe if it's on the floor (and of course scratch free) then it means it's maybe one of the better ones.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V

I haven't seen it in a few months, but the floor model Explorer at my local GC was awful. Missing two knobs, splotches of some kid's soda hands all over, constantly out of tune... floor doesn't necessarily mean good.

Just make sure to play it before you pay it, and props on getting an Explorer.

Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
tomc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Muse
I haven't seen it in a few months, but the floor model Explorer at my local GC was awful. Missing two knobs, splotches of some kid's soda hands all over, constantly out of tune... floor doesn't necessarily mean good.

Just make sure to play it before you pay it, and props on getting an Explorer.

That's why I prefer local stores instead of GC's, there tends to be less horrible floor models, and less horrible player's who grab the expensive gear and crank it up to 11 on Saturday's
tomc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
KrymsinViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoNinja18
True. i definitely think i want a gibson explorer, but it's hard to know what's just part of a guitar, and what's a defect in the guitar lol. Too bad this explorer is on of the only ones i can find locally to me. It's been the floor model for a while, I was contemplating them ordering me a new one, but maybe if it's on the floor (and of course scratch free) then it means it's maybe one of the better ones.

I'd think that if its been the floor model for a while then it probably isn't a gem. If it was a gem, it would have been bought. I'm a big fan of the explorer shape but unfortunately every Epiphone or Gibson explorer iv played has been dissapointing. Poor fret work and the finish around the neck is just generally poor. Plus I don't like the pick guards on them.
KrymsinViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
PianoNinja18

Thanks guys I'll keep this in mind. If anyone's Canadian, the store I'm going to is a Long and Mcquade, I don't find too many "guitar centre" people like you described in tehre haha! I can understand it not being sold because of the population. If I don't like theirs, I'll order in a new one. Thanks for the things to check out for (more than the missing knobs and marks haha!)

Rate This Thread: