Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
basser4ever123

Question Bass and/or Amp problems

Hey all,

I have a rickenbacker 4003 strung with La Bella flatwounds. I play through an Acoustic B115 cab and an Acoustic B200H head.

when I rehearse/play shows with my band, for the most part I can hear myself. Only when I play the 5th fret on the E string and down, it's almost as if I have no low end.

Is this a bass or a rig problem? I've had this amp for a little over four years, and I just purchased the Rickenbacker over the summer.

I've bought a new speaker cable for my head/cab, and I used to have rotosound flats on my Ric.

The guys in the band are pretty loud, so maybe it's just time for an upgrade? I'm more concerned though about my amp not working properly.

Thanks!

Quote:
Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
basser4ever123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Ziphoblat
Bass

How are you EQ'ing your sound?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
basser4ever123

gain is about 11 o'clock. Frequency around 1. I have the low at about 2-3. low mids 3. high mids 3. highs 12.

i'm constantly adjusting and trying to find something that cuts through well.

Quote:
Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Ziphoblat
Bass

We don't have Acoustic gear over here. All the pics of looked up of the amp you said you have don't have bass/mid/treble knobs, rather a set of specific frequency knobs, so it's hard for me to be too helpful.

Essentially I'd recommend knocking some of the bass out of your sound. Seems you're essentially boosting everything at the moment. It depends on the sort of tone you're looking for. In my experience upper mids are great for note definition.

You might try lowering your bass knob into the neutral position, or even cutting a little bit, and the same for the low mid knob (you could cut some of this if you find that it works). Boost some upper mids, and adjust the treble to taste (try not to cut too much if you find yourself inclined to cut). The flats might not be helping too much either.

Also try panning more towards a particular pick-up if you don't already do so and see if that makes a difference. It would be worth playing the bass through a different rig or headphones or something and seeing if you notice any differences in volume between the strings etc, if you don't (which I imagine you won't) then really I imagine it's just an EQ problem. You could also try replacing your strings.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
basser4ever123

I apologize for not being more specific with the EQ. and the La Bella flats are fairly new, I just put them on maybe 2-3 weeks ago?

we're going to practice tonight. I'll try what you suggested. thanks for the help!

Quote:
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
basser4ever123

what you suggested definitely made a difference. I suppose the room itself is just kind of bad for bass. when I sit on a chair about 10 feet from the amp. everything sounds decent, but once I stand up it becomes difficult to hear the bass.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
Ziphoblat
Bass

Dispersion from your speakers could be part of your problem then. You could try tilting back your amp against a wall so that it's directed more towards your ears.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
Dispersion from your speakers could be part of your problem then. You could try tilting back your amp against a wall so that it's directed more towards your ears.

THIISSSSSSS. Having the amp aiming to your ears is the way to go. EQ is also part of it, but having your amp pointing at your head is essential.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: