Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
reincarnator

Need help picking a 6 string bass!

So I've recently come into some money from a relative. At first I thought "hey, I'll get a new computer, new TV and other stuff like that". Then I thought a bit more and decided I should spend this money on something that will last more than a couple of years.

My budget is about 800-1000. I'd rather not go used. Ideally I'd like to be able to try before buying. I won't actually be buying for a couple of months, so I guess I'm mainly looking for suggestions on stuff to try. I'm about half an hours train ride from London UK, so should be able to get to any of the shops there easily..

I mainly play through my computer using VSTs. I have a decent pair of monitors, and I'm intending to pick up a decent sub for them too (after treating my room a bit!). I have quite large hands, so I think I can manage some of the larger necks.

What I NEED:
- 6 Strings
- A long scale length. I regularly play stuff like Periphery and Tesseract on guitar and I have to use rather heavy strings to keep the tension.
- Versatility. While I focus on metal, I also play a fair bit of rock and prog. Some of the artists I cover are: Dream Theater, Queen, Death, Killswitch Engage, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Tool, Periphery, Tesseract, Coheed and Cambria and Opeth.

What I would LIKE:
- Natural or flamed/quilted maple finish. Kinda bored of just plain black instruments
- Neck Through. I like how it feels.

So far, I've tried a Peavey Grind 6 (right at the other end of the price range and a used Ibanez BTB 6 string (model number wasn't listed). The Ibby was nice, but I still felt I could get better.

If you need any more information, just ask. Thanks in advance!

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
reincarnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
reincarnator

Daily bump

Mah gear

Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15

7>6!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
reincarnator

Daily bump, although I'm just about ready to give up :/

Mah gear

Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15

7>6!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
ytse Jammer
UG's Optimus Prime

You have a good budget for what you're after. I haven't played the Grind or the BTB personally so could only speculate in terms of how they would compare to some of the basses I would recommend. I would check out -

Cort a6
Ibanez SR506
the KSD ranges on Bassmods.com (with upgrade and import would still be in budget)

There's a lovely 6 string KSD on bass chat for 550 if you want to go used that would be perfect in my opinion for what you want.

Just seen this as well - http://www.bassdirect.co.uk/bass_gu...vin_LPB76P.html

heard great things about Carvin basses, if you can get there go and give it a try!

Last edited by ytse Jammer : 10-06-2013 at 11:47 AM.
ytse Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
damienbass

I own a BTB 676 so I can speculate a bit on them.

The Ibby BTB has become my number 1 bass, seconded by my Ibby SR 756. I love both about the same but the neck feels just a little smoother on the BTB. If you can find one. Look for the last years Model soully for the pickups. The 2013's have the Bartolini BH1's where the 2012's have Bartolini MK2's. I play a great deal of the same bands as you and the BTB and SR give me the extra punch and sustain needed for any style I am working with. I had Schecter and ESP 6 string basses, but none have compared.

Bass:
Ibanez SR 756
Ibanez BTB 676
damienbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Mulisha620

I would suggest the LTD B-416SM. I am just finishing up paying mine off. it sounds like you are looking for everything I was looking for when I bought mine, and in the same price range.

35" scale
neck through
EMG'S higher end active pickups with active 3 band eq (tonally versatile to say the least)
stunning spalted mapel top, over a swamp ash body, sandwiching a 5 piece maple/walnut neck
rosewood with abalone dots inlay
I never see people talk about these basses, I have no idea why. I think they're hard to get as dealers are few and far in between, and you will never find a 416 there anyway because it not a very common request.

I didn't try one before I bought mine, it was either the LTD it the Ibanez, and for the same price I got better pickups and my neck through from the LTD.
Now that I've sat down and played it I'm in love with it. scary buying without touching it first, but I was very pleasantly surprised.
including an ESP hardcase I paid $1,006 American dollars out the door.

I know the cheapest Ibanez neck through was wayyy more than my LTD.
Neck is almost THINNER than an Ibanez 6'er but not as NARROW. but Ibanez necks are almost too narrow, I think my LTD Is perfect.

check them out I think your might be surprised.

Last edited by Mulisha620 : 10-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Mulisha620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

I'd look about for the Yamaha TRB1006J. Bass Direct currently have them for about 750, down from a grand. Tight neck, alder body with quilted maple top, 3 band EQ, humbuckers... if you like the feel of it, great, as you'll certainly get a wide range of tones out of it. It is bolt on, but Yamaha basses have always had pretty good heel contouring.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: