Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

different 2 channel amp options?

I'm looking at 2 channel amps (in case I can't get a 3 channel). By that, I mean one that has seperate Eq and drive/ volume per channel. It also has to be footswitchable and good for gigs (Mostly bars), and have a good clean channel and fx loops.

My budget is $350, because I'll buy an EQ pedal for the clean channel; that way I can use my Hardwire TL-2 on the clean channel with the amp settings set neutral. Seeing as I've got the Tl-2 to take care of my metal stuff ,I just need an OD channel to go from classic rock tones (AC/DC) to somthing less heavy than 80's brit metal.

options I looked at: Solid State: Fender Frontman 212R, Peavey Bandit
Tube: Bugera 6262 Infinium, Peavey VK212.

Opinions on these/others I might have missed for my budget would be nice. right now, my city is worcester MA, which is about 45 min from every other guitar center in the state ('cept for one).
Old 11-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

With that budget, you aren't going to get a plethora of great features. I was about to suggest you the amp I use, but it's way out of budget.

The amps you have listed are just about the only good options. If you could find a used Peavey Ultra, you would be good to go. You might be able to get a Peavey Vypyr and one of the Sanpera pedals for it for that price used. Other than those, I can't think of much of anything else.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

peavey vypyr tube is a safe bet for anything in that budget.
but stay far, far away from the frontman. the bandit is a decent backup and nothing more. the valveking is also a viable option however.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Maidenheadsteve
I do the guitar good

I'm not much of a vypr fan, since I've got a bunch of fx that would go in a loop. I like individual pedals more than modeling amps since you can edit the settings more.

Any particular grievances with the frontman?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

well having owned that model (and now being the owner of the littler one):
cleans are sterile and annoying after a while
dirt sucks ass
very muffled and dark sounding
reverb was decent
EQ didn't do much, dimeing the treble didn't make a whole helluva lot brighter
it's loud though

look for a Fender hot rod Deluxe, it'd be a bit of a budget stretch though and you'll need a drive pedal for rock as the drive channel of the amp is an abomination.

or be on the lookout for a Fender Super Sonic. even more of a budget stretch but will cover what you want nicely.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I would avoid getting a HRD if you're looking to get your Metal sound from the TL-2. I don't know why, exactly, but when I ran mine through a HRD, it sounded terrible. WAY too gainy, compressed, and scooped, no matter what I did. Backing the gain off would start to make it sound too thin and bodiless, and I just couldn't get any good amount of mids that I liked. If you want an example, when my band recorded our Demo, I didn't have a decent amp, so I borrowed a HRD and used my TL-2.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: